mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Craftsman 255pc $174.99 309 pc. ~$190 Mechanic's toolset Sears

For better quality and value tools vs "bike" set. I highly recommend the 309pc, as because of the higher quality ratcheting wrenches are worth every penny. Ratcheting wrenches alone are $40/each at their cheapest price.

255 pc. Mechanics Tool Set with Lift Top Storage Chest [sears.com] Model#35255 for $179.99. They're on sale for $199.99 (reg $299.99) then I got $20 off for being a Craftsman Club Member [craftsman.com] (sign up is free). I went online when I got home and checked the website and its the same price as in stores. If you buy online, in store pick-up is free and you can add coupon code SEARS2012 for $5 off $50 bringing it to $174.99! Hurry though, according to signs in the store sale ends today 4/19/12
    credit goes to slickdeals

255 piece

309 piece

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    For better quality and value tools vs "bike" set. I highly recommend the 309pc, as because of the higher quality ratcheting wrenches are worth every penny. Ratcheting wrenches alone are $40/each at their cheapest price.

credit goes to slickdeals

255 piece

309 piece

Great tools for around the house or working on cars but Craftsman tools are useless on bikes. Wrenches are too thick and they don't make any bike specific tools. I recommend this. Also, ever since K-mart bought Sears, Craftsman tool production has slowly moved overseas... Might as well buy Harbor Freight.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use the ratcheting wrenches, socket and hex wrenches on my bike. I don't know that much, but when do you need thing wrenches?
    I know of wheel hub, what else?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I use the ratcheting wrenches, socket and hex wrenches on my bike. I don't know that much, but when do you need thing wrenches?
    I know of wheel hub, what else?
    Well, the bike specific tools that I use are casette tool, BB tool (Hollowtech and cartridge), crank arm pullers, longer t-handle hex (for my SID shock), brake line/hose cutters, etc. Other than a torque wrench, T25, T27 and two ground down 6pt sockets that I use for servicing my forks (22 and 24mm?) I really dont ever use my automotive tools.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I work faster using a Bosch electric driver with the torque limiter. With it, I also use a socket type allen hex bit set, an extension and a 1/4 square T handle for hand torquing anything below 15 NM. Torque wrench for the rest.

RS forks use 10, 10 deep and 22 mm sockets.

Everything else is pretty much bike specific.

mtbr member
    The 255pc Craftsman set is a great bargain. Too bad I already have most of them. But I do like the storage chest with the cut out plastic tray. It makes organizing tools and finding them so much easier.

As for the Park AK 37, TreeFortBikes can usually price match the lowest online price ~$205.99 and still give free shipping. For people not living in MI, then no sales tax also.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Great tools for around the house or working on cars but Craftsman tools are useless on bikes. Wrenches are too thick and they don't make any bike specific tools. I recommend this. Also, ever since K-mart bought Sears, Craftsman tool production has slowly moved overseas... Might as well buy Harbor Freight.
    I buy harbor freight as well as craftsman, there is no comparison in quality despite where it's manufactured.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Well, the bike specific tools that I use are casette tool, BB tool (Hollowtech and cartridge), crank arm pullers, longer t-handle hex (for my SID shock), brake line/hose cutters, etc. Other than a torque wrench, T25, T27 and two ground down 6pt sockets that I use for servicing my forks (22 and 24mm?) I really dont ever use my automotive tools.
    Thanks for the post Looking through your list, I'm filling out my set.
    park tools on AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts
    So cassette tool $8
    bottom bracket $ 20
    crank puller $14
    2x cone double ended cone wrench $5 each on amazon
    Amazon.com: Park Tool PT-03 Double Ended Cone Wrench: Sports & Outdoors
    chain wrench - space piece of chain
    hex - can't i use this? not long enough?
    10 Piece T-Handle Metric Hex Key Set
    brake line/hose - rotory tool
    spoke wrench + chain breaker in Crank brothers 19 tool, $20 amazon

all other tools in mechanic set

Is it worth getting the bike tool kit, vs spending the $72 on the tools above.

I would prefer to have as little tools/redundant/unitools as possible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I buy harbor freight as well as craftsman, there is no comparison in quality despite where it's manufactured.
    The first time I realized I purchased Chinese made Craftsman tools is when I saw an identical set at Harbor Freight minus the Craftsman name and orange versus black handles. If you look around on Slickdeals.net for Craftsman tools you will see pictures posted in the forums of side by side comparisons of the USA vs Chinese made Craftsman ratchets. The Chinese made Craftsman ratchets are bigger and lighter in weight. I have also heard the gears are now made of plastic. Just something to keep an eye out for. 90% of my tools are Craftsman so I honestly think it sucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have the 255 piece set. Great set for a decent price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the post Looking through your list, I'm filling out my set.
    park tools on AAWYEAH Bikes and Bicycle Parts
    So cassette tool $8
    bottom bracket $ 20
    crank puller $14
    2x cone double ended cone wrench $5 each on amazon
    Amazon.com: Park Tool PT-03 Double Ended Cone Wrench: Sports & Outdoors
    chain wrench - space piece of chain
    hex - can't i use this? not long enough?
    10 Piece T-Handle Metric Hex Key Set
    brake line/hose - rotory tool
    spoke wrench + chain breaker in Crank brothers 19 tool, $20 amazon

all other tools in mechanic set

Is it worth getting the bike tool kit, vs spending the $72 on the tools above.

I would prefer to have as little tools/redundant/unitools as possible.
    I agree with you 100%. If you know what you need you may be able to build up your own kit for less. Two things to note; 1) It is nice to have a larger chain breaker than what comes on a multi tool... especially if you have Shimano chains. 2) I am not sure if you are looking at Park tools but a lot of the other brands stamp out their tools and they have rough edges. Park tools are cut and won't mar your bike parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ok, chain tool with good review $11.65
    Amazon.com: IceToolz Chain Tool 7-10 Speed Shimano HG/IG/UG: Sports & Outdoors

the part cost list i listed does consist of park tools.
    Last edited by bob13bob; 04-21-2012 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The first time I realized I purchased Chinese made Craftsman tools is when I saw an identical set at Harbor Freight minus the Craftsman name and orange versus black handles. If you look around on Slickdeals.net for Craftsman tools you will see pictures posted in the forums of side by side comparisons of the USA vs Chinese made Craftsman ratchets. The Chinese made Craftsman ratchets are bigger and lighter in weight. I have also heard the gears are now made of plastic. Just something to keep an eye out for. 90% of my tools are Craftsman so I honestly think it sucks.
    I've done some research. Seems you are correct, new craftsman is way worse than old stuff. Compared to HF, HF socket wrenches are supposed to be better. I think CM still takes the edge in socket quality. I can't find any good threads on ratcheting wrench quality. Also, looking at the pricing of this deal, the craftsman 309 piece essentially the same price as the HF set. even if the qualities were similar, the CM is still is better value since
    craftsman: 16 ratcheting wrenches, + 10 plain wrenches.
    HF: 10 plain wrenches.

You can buy 14 HF ratcheting wrenches to for plus $50

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    ok, chain tool with good review $11.65
    Amazon.com: IceToolz Chain Tool 7-10 Speed Shimano HG/IG/UG: Sports & Outdoors

the part cost list i listed does consist of park tools.
    Double check that the pin is replaceable. Over time, that is a part that wears, and without it, or with a wonky pin, driving link pins will be difficult or impossible.