Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Counterfeit Cane Creek

OK, I know I shoulda known better - bought an S-8 headset off e-bay and the lower cup sheared off at the sleeve when the LBS was inserting it into the headtube (and these guys are actually really good mechanics). They tried to get it warrantied for me and Cane Creek told them it was counterfeit, so no warranty. Good thing I got it for cheap, right?

AZ
    banned
    It aint cheap if you have to buy it twice .

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    Looking at eBay now, was it the Taiwan seller, or the Hong Kong seller?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Neither. I got it from o_cyclism_o back in January. Maybe he got it from an Asian supplier. I never order internationally on e-bay.

mtbr member
    That's good to know. I never thought of that possibility, but how easy it would be to counterfit a headset! They all look the same other than the printing/logo/etching on the outside.

bog
    mtbr member
    Have you complained to o_cyclism_o yet? That's some major BS for them to be selling knockoffs. I'm sure they know they're not authentic because they would be buying straight from Cane Creek or a big distributor.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That is the problem with China... They can copy anything!! I am just suprised they would replicate the S-8... The 110 would make more sense.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Watch out for Chris King too

Several months ago, I got hosed on a Chris King headset. This one was a good copy. Some guy that also got one on Ebay, emailed me or I wouldn't have been able to to tell since the differences were pretty minor. Fortunately, Paypal came through. The funny thing is that they made be send it back to the seller before they reimbursed me. Considering the fact that they couldn't get in touch with the seller, it is strange that they would make me pay for shipping to send it back to him. I marked it up pretty good so that he couldn't sell it again. It's hard to believe that someone would go to the trouble of making something that sells for a 100 bucks.

newble
    Jul 2009
    hmm... i just bought a s8 off ebay as well from xstuffmarket. paid 33 bucks for it.

I now have this feeling I'm going to get shafted with a knock off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67
    I am just suprised they would replicate the S-8... The 110 would make more sense...
    Actually, it is not surprising they (whoever did it) went with a much simpler, cheaper model to copy. The 110 is much more complex design, and I would imagine would require way more expertise and would be much more expensive to make a half-decent copy, at which point the counterfeiter's cost would run too high to make profit.
    Also, most people who buy a premium product like a 110 are not beginners, and would be more likely to spot the impostor.

Arek

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Watch out for Richey WCS carbon bars too. I would just stay clear of sellers from Asia.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I didn't complain to the vendor, but I did report it to e-bay. Maybe the vendor doesn't know, but I figured that if he does, the chances that he would admit to it are slim. I'll let e-bay inform him and I'll just shop wiser next time.

29 some of the time...
    Nice, I was checking out some of those headsets from oversea. Decided to get an s-3 from pricepoint instead. Looks like I dodged a bullet Any pictures of the item?
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

newble
    Jul 2009
    how do you tell the fake ones?
    I finally got mine today

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    In my case the guys at the bike shop read some identification numbers to Cane Creek. I guess they were on the bearings. I did not have a real one with which to compare it. You might be able to call Cane Creek.
    On the other hand, if you have it installed successfully, then you could just ride it and replace it later. Of course if it fails catastrophically, as you're going over the bars you'll be thinking %#$*, must've been a fake one.
    I don't have any photos of the one I bought. It wasn't worth going back to the bike shop to retrieve its carcass.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i got a set of fsa dh carbon bars off a seller and (retardedly) didnt look at the seller info until after i bought it and it was hong kong....havent taken it out yet...seller is bicycle_maniac ...any other experiences out there? ill def take out my DH bike on an XC ride for a test ride, but any experiences out there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What if the fake Cane Creek headsets are better than the non-fake Cane Creek headsets?

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Theres a long thread about this from a couple of years ago. The info is probably still relevant.

Counterfeit Cane Creek Headsets

mtbr member
    I have bought acoulple of times from bicycle_maniac and everything was cool. So you should be good.

newble
    Jul 2009
    Hmm... blue bearing seal eh :-/ re: link

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    very interesting. i was on ebay myself last night looking for a deal on a Thomson Stem, i never could figure out why a Taiwan seller would be selling something to the usa, that was already made in the usa?! makes sense that it is fake. good thing i didn't buy it, i sucked it up and bought a real one from pricepoint.com

newble
    Jul 2009
    "made in the usa"

ARCHQUEST
    Most Cane Creek headsets are not made in the USA, they might be assemble here or package here. If a headset retail for $60, its cost for Cane Creek is approx $30 and cost Factory in China $15 or less to make them. So if someone smuggle some stock from the factory (illegal) and sell them on ebay for $25, they'll make a handson profit.

If you want to put in the effort of making fake stuff, a knock off $60 heaset is hardly the way to go?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    its funny how ebay lets this just continue, they turn a blind eye to so much counterfeit goods.... bottom line for them its fees they dont care about the buyers just the profits

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANE-CREEK-S8-He...d=p3286.c0.m14

ARCHQUEST
    The S8 headset are OEM parts not fakes.

If it would make some feel better, those who can afford to buy a Ford or GM cars in China, guess what, they're not "made in USA" instead are "made in China" and cost half as much if its was made here and Ford and GM exces are laughing all the way to the banks. The GM and Ford divisions in China are profitable while the US HQ files for chapter 11.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast