mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cost Rant -10 Speed Parts

So, I need a new 33 tooth chain ring for my 2011 Stumpy FSR 29er (10 speed) $75 at the shop. Damn near passed out. Last time I bought a chain ring (a 9 speed) I spent @ $35. The crank set on my bike is a SRAM 33x22.

So, why so much for a 10 speed ring? I ended up cheaping out & buying a 32 tooth 9 speed ring but it doesn't shift nearly as well as the original.

Do I need to suck it up and accept that 10 speed costs twice as much? BTW, I've looked online w/o luck for cheaper alternatives to 10 speed parts. Can someone tell me if I'm missing something on where to find chain rings that won't break the bank?

Thanks!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

GAME ON!
    is it for a 1x10?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

ups and downs
    $75 is cheaper than a 9 speed XTR middle chainring which are about double that.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Check ebay or other sites. People (like me) have sold new take off rings for not very much. Also, modern X7 level (like s1000 I think?) triple cranks have 22/33/44 and go for like $100. Buy it, strip the rings, sell for no less than $60. Good luck!

Also, it might shift better if you matched the 9 speed 32t ring with the same brand's 22t ring. Maybe.
    Last edited by pinkston32; 04-08-2012 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe try homebrewedcomponents.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Since he said he has "SRAM 33x22" I'd assume he wants a nice double setup. I hear HBC has wonderful rings, but they're all single. I'd imagine they would shift terribly.

Race Face also makes aftermarket shift rings. They even have ones compatible with SRAM shift ramps and Shimano shift ramps. Not sure about 10 speed though. You can just switch the pair over. AFAIR the 10 speed SRAM rings did shift better than my old Shimano 9 speed stuff, but that was just a single ride to test them before selling. I do 1x10.

Really IMO the main thing that costs more for 10 speed would be a cassette. Everything else is comparable really.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by onepivot View Post
    So, I need a new 33 tooth chain ring for my 2011 Stumpy FSR 29er (10 speed) $75 at the shop. Damn near passed out. Last time I bought a chain ring (a 9 speed) I spent @ $35. The crank set on my bike is a SRAM 33x22.

So, why so much for a 10 speed ring? I ended up cheaping out & buying a 32 tooth 9 speed ring but it doesn't shift nearly as well as the original.

Do I need to suck it up and accept that 10 speed costs twice as much? BTW, I've looked online w/o luck for cheaper alternatives to 10 speed parts. Can someone tell me if I'm missing something on where to find chain rings that won't break the bank?

Thanks!
    Have you tried ebay?

I did it all for the kudo
    Prices like that are just ridiculous. There's something to be said about riding a single speed bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    Prices like that are just ridiculous. There's something to be said about riding a single speed bike.
    My other bike is a single speed I ride it most of the time, but there are times when a 52 year old biker needs gears & suspension!
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.