Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005

Continental Mountain King UST reviews?

I checked out the review section of MTBR but looks like the only reviews have been of the tubed version of the conti mountain king. from looking at both in the shop, they definitley look a little different and was wondering if anybody was running the UST version. Im looking for something that will give me good sidewall life like the Nevagal UST but wear a little better in the tread and still work well here in PA.

mtbr member

Mountain King UST

I remounted these tires on my Trek Fuel 100 and now they have really grown on me. The tire seems heavier than my Bontrager Mud's (but probably not heavier than a normal tire plus tube). I've actually found that I can get up some steep hardpack hills that I could not with my old tires.

They are not great in thick mud (3" deep) and will sometimes spin out on wet roots and rocks if you are going too slow, but then again, so will most of the tires I've tried. I have the 2.4 on the front and the 2.2 on the back.

The reason why I put them back on the bike in the first place is that I've been doing a lot of rock gardens with sharp rocks and wanted a thicker tire for confidence.

Around here, it is frowned upon to ride the trails after a hard rain, so I rarely need a tire that is more wet-ready than this one. Highly Recommended. I've heard great things about the Supersonic and the Protection, but I've gone tubeless (UST) and will not go back.

Lately I've put some heavier things on my bike (these tires are slightly heavier than my Bontrager Mud's that were on there before, I also threw on a coil rear shock which is a whole pound heavier, and I replaced my carbon bars with aluminum), and I can't tell the difference in weight, although the bike rides nicer with the coil shock. Since loosing 40 pounds off my self this year, all bikes really feel great to me. However, I guess this means I can't hang out in the weight weenie forum anymore...