Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Conti Trail King 2.2 Black Chili

Found them for $38.22 a tire on Amazon.com with free shipping. With my experiences with Amazon I wasn't 100% sure I would receive the Black Chili version of these so I price matched them at JensonUSA with free shipping as well. Picked up a set for $77 shipped. Seemed like a decent deal to me. I have been looking forward to trying these out for a while. You should be able to price match at several places depending on what else you need to buy.... or trust Amazon's descriptions.

Amazon.com: Continental Mountain Bike Tire Trail King (all sizes Wirebead/Fold): Sports & Outdoors

Continental Trail King Folding Tire at JensonUSA.com

Pricepoint should match it as well or reimburse the difference if you ordered them within the last 30 days.
    Continental Trail King at Price Point
    Price Point - Great Discounts on Mountain Bike & Road Bike Parts, Accessories, Cycling Clothing & more

mtbr member
    I dont believe the 2.2 TK come in black chilli?
    The 2.2 I have here are made in TW = no BC

There is a noticeable difference between the German BC and the TW non.
    I really like the tread pattern, please post up their "made in __" when they arrive. thx.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    They do come in black chili, I've got a set and they def say made in germany on the side. Just FYI...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    It is listed on their site. I realize that the Rubber Queen does not completely equal the Trail King as far as what has been available in North America.

Continental Bicycle -Rubber Queen 2.2/Trail King
    Rubber Queen 2.2: 3 plies / total 180 tpi / Black Chili Compound
    Its scheduled to arrive on the 6th so we will see then I guess.

I assume that if the tires says "handmade in Germany" that it is an indication of being made of Black Chili compound? Like the one below. Or will it have some indication of it having Black Chili on the packaging?

They were supposed to arrive by the 10th when I ordered. The shipping says by the 6th now so I get to ride them this weekend. Good times will be had.

mtbr member
    The reason I asked b/c most of the retailers are not real careful c&p descriptions.
    I really want more ust black chilli options. Best tires imo.
    note to self, do not read rider down forum.

mtbr member
    You do know that the TK 2.2 UST in Black Chili is available as well right? They seem to be more difficult to find though. I found some posts about people getting them from their LBS.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixsun View Post
    I dont believe the 2.2 TK come in black chilli?
    The 2.2 I have here are made in TW = no BC

There is a noticeable difference between the German BC and the TW non.
    I really like the tread pattern, please post up their "made in __" when they arrive. thx.
    Until recently the TK 2.2 UST was not Black Chili.

The standard 2.2 has always been available with BC.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DECIM8 View Post
    It is listed on their site. I realize that the Rubber Queen does not completely equal the Trail King as far as what has been available in North America.

Continental Bicycle -Rubber Queen 2.2/Trail King

Its scheduled to arrive on the 6th so we will see then I guess.

I assume that if the tires says "handmade in Germany" that it is an indication of being made of Black Chili compound? Like the one below. Or will it have some indication of it having Black Chili on the packaging?

They were supposed to arrive by the 10th when I ordered. The shipping says by the 6th now so I get to ride them this weekend. Good times will be had.
    The "Handmade in Germany" hot stamp on the sidewall is the only indication that the tire uses the Black Chili compound.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    From my experience with conti it says Black Chili on the packaging. The tire has country of origin. Not sure if its the case with all their tire.

mtbr member
    Got them today. Packaging said Black Chili and tires say handmade in Germany. No big surprise though. They mounted up easily to my Mavic 223 rims. I pedaled around the neighborhood a little and they roll surprisingly well even on asphalt. They definitely feel different, more plush, like I got an upgrade to my rear shock. I have them at the same 35psi I ran my other tires so we'll see of that works out for me. I'll take them on the trail after work tomorrow.

Duh, Winning!
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the follow-up! I may have to pick up a pair myself. Is that a lawhill suspension? Coincidentally, I was going to put them on my older bike that also uses that setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Got them today. Packaging said Black Chili and tires say handmade in Germany. No big surprise though. They mounted up easily to my Mavic 223 rims. I pedaled around the neighborhood a little and they roll surprisingly well even on asphalt. They definitely feel different, more plush, like I got an upgrade to my rear shock. I have them at the same 35psi I ran my other tires so we'll see of that works out for me. I'll take them on the trail after work tomorrow.

Did you buy them through Amazon or price match them to another company? I'm looking to pick up a pair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
    Thanks for the follow-up! I may have to pick up a pair myself. Is that a lawhill suspension? Coincidentally, I was going to put them on my older bike that also uses that setup.
    Hindquarters of my 4 banger. Still rocks for my riding. Just picked up a new Vanilla shock and spring from Chain Reaction Cycles ($38) so I can try out a heavier spring. These tires are such high volume I feel like I can stiffen up the rear a little and not loose the "plushness" I currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by 08hardrockmiami View Post
    Did you buy them through Amazon or price match them to another company? I'm looking to pick up a pair.
    Price matched them through JensonUSA. I wasn't completely confident on what I would get from Amazon. I have revived somewhat random stuff from them in the past, even when their descriptions are clear.

Duh, Winning!
    Mar 2011
    heck ya i was also going to use them on my 1999 4 banger too!

mtbr member
    Love Continental tires. Run the Black Chili on my Roubaix and it rolls strong and smooth.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just price matched a set to Jenson from Amazon and they should be here next Friday. Waiting on my Stans Arch/Hadley wheelset to come in too.

Jumper
    I've been running the 2.2 folding for a couple of years. Theyr'e great! Here's the problem. The old folding version is a pain in the ass (yes it even says made in Germany) to mount up with Stans in that it has hundreds of tiny pin holes on the sides. It actually took a few days for sealant to fill everything up. Anyways, I tried the new Conti Mountain King IIs and the knobs started tearing off after a few miles. I dumped those and went back to the TKs, only this time the new TKs do not have the pin holes anymore. The mounted right up with Stans. These tires don't like high pressure unless your a clyde. I am running the new pair on a BLT2 on some Mavic 819s. I'm 175 with gear and am running 26 R/19 F and never bottom them out even on 3ft drops. Reason it can take the low pressure is because it's a high volume tire and I run it tubeless. At these pressures you can really feel the Black Chili working.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jumper780 View Post
    The old folding version is a pain in the ass (yes it even says made in Germany) to mount up with Stans in that it has hundreds of tiny pin holes on the sides. It actually took a few days for sealant to fill everything up.
    My pair I got from Jenson just yesterday has these tiny holes in the sides of one of the tires on one of the sides.

mtbr member
    Well, conditions were a bit worse for my ride than I expected. It really showed the strengths and weaknesses of these tires though. There was standing water, mud, wet roots and leaves as well as some hardpack and a couple dry areas. The 1.5 mile uphill to the top of the trails is pretty well packed gravel and drains well so was very easy. They pedaled with a little more resistance than my Panaracer Fire XC Pros but were very close. They shed the mud pretty well except the stuff that was more clay than dirt. Wet roots were no problem at all. The rear tended to slide sidewise on the roots more than I am used to but it got to be very predictable. Leaves were the only thing that really gave me much trouble traction wise. There is a section that has a lot of old wet leaves and mud. That combo packed into the tread pretty well and I had very little traction in those areas. I came off the bike a couple times trying to make it down a couple of these areas (one of which is pictured below). All in all they had more traction than any other tire I have run. The mud and leaf combo really required something a little more. They really impressed me one time where they got traction on a steep uphill that i couldn't even walk up... because I rode to the top and got off to take a picture then promptly slid down the hill leaving the bike at the top. I had to grab a couple sticks to use kinda like ski poles to get up it. Then I forgot to take the picture.

Anyway, here are a couple of the pictures I did get.

You come around this corner with some speed and there is no traction at all coming down this stretch. The tires came out from under me and I went off to the left... about 10 ft off. Most of the trail looked like this but without the leaves. No leaves = no problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hows the rolling resistance on these tires? I cant wait to get mine.

mtbr member
    From the tires I have experienced they are a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1-10 with a 10 being slicks and 1 being 2.6" sticky downhill tires. The amount of grip vs. rolling resistance is better that any tire I have run. They are a great compromise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have the 2.2 black chili's non UST, love the tires but they are a disaster with stan's, perpetually seeping and losing pressure - anyone know how to identify the newer ones that work well with stans?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Would be nice to know. Of the 2 I just bought, one has about a dozen small pin holes around the sidewalls that won't seal up. The other one is fine, has no holes and sealed up within a couple of days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just put them on my Stan's Arch rims last night but i'm running them with tubes for now. They are pretty tall. I havent ridden them yet but I will be trying them out tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Duraskin sidewalls?? I believe the Duraskin sidewalls are more reinforced (they look like snakeskin). The layers hold the sealant much better. For the win, the UST variants hold sealant perfectly and the sidewalls are fantastic. I agree with a previous post about needing more UST BC assortment however. RS - RaceSport is all tubeless ready and fairly easy to seal. A tire with RS and the Duraskin should seal well but no substitute for a UST reinforced sidewall.

A.

Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    Would be nice to know. Of the 2 I just bought, one has about a dozen small pin holes around the sidewalls that won't seal up. The other one is fine, has no holes and sealed up within a couple of days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast