Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Competitive Cyclist + Strava credits

8K views 64 replies 24 participants last post by  dirtdawg21892 
#1 ·
With Competitive Cyclist's new Strava deal, can you build up $80 worth of credits? I think that's how it works: Maximum of $40 per month and credits expire at the end of the next month.

So if you earn $40 in April and $40 in May. You have $80 in credits until May 31, right?

Does that mean XT brakes for $120?

#45 ·
The deal is done so it does not matter anymore. I personally love to move up on a leader board and get a new PR. I love a top 10 better and a KOM the most. All are PRs. I compete with myself more than anything else as well, same as you. I like that Strava has got me on my bike more so that I can see results and my own improvement. The CC deal just paid me to do all of that.... even better. I still get the PRs and stay motivated to ride as much as possible plus I get paid to do it!!!

#3 ·
capped at $40/mo and expire after the end of the next month. So the most you could build up is $80 every two months. I guess they are figuring a) few people will hit the max every month and b) most people will spend far more than the $40/mo that they would have spent at another online shop. I'm guessing they figure it's something like $10/mo/person on average.

Also, the data they are getting off Strava must be worth $10 a month.to them.

#6 ·
There also is a lag between when the ride shows up and when the credit shows up. And partial hours haven't shown up for me like the fine print said they would. Whatever.

We don't know whether the money for the credits is coming from Strava instead of CC. It is worth something to CC to have everyone like us talking about this and everyone like us scheming every day about what to buy from them.

#7 ·
I just got a $1.00 credit for a 45 min ride on Easter morning. They say you get partial credit for partial hours (in fact, I think the example says that you get $1.50 for a 90 minute ride) but it looks like they just award even dollars when your total crosses a dollar threshold.

So I'm guessing I was at 4.5 hours before my 45 minute ride and that 45 minutes bumped me to 5.25 hours and triggered another $1.00.

#15 ·
I just got a $1.00 credit for a 45 min ride on Easter morning. They say you get partial credit for partial hours (in fact, I think the example says that you get $1.50 for a 90 minute ride) but it looks like they just award even dollars when your total crosses a dollar threshold.

So I'm guessing I was at 4.5 hours before my 45 minute ride and that 45 minutes bumped me to 5.25 hours and triggered another $1.00.
Their page says "Each hour ridden is worth $1.00 in store credit, in half-hour increments. So, a 1:45 minute ride would receive $1.50." But I keep getting $1 for rides over 1.5 hours moving time. I'm not outraged or anything, but I am confused about how it works.

#17 ·
I rode 1hr 42min last night and I now have $2 in my account. Im going to save up about $20 and buy something small and see how it goes. I'll probably have close to $20 in a week or two so I'll let everyone know how it works at check out, and I'll post back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Got this email today

Strava Connect
What an incredible few weeks it’s been here at Competitive.

When we came up with the idea to pay you a dollar an hour to ride your bike through our partnership with Strava, it was pure, it was simple and it represented everything we stand for. Apparently you liked it too, because you signed up by the tens of thousands and told everyone you knew. We had expectations and you blew them out of the water.

Because of this we’ve had to pause new sign-ups, and we must stop issuing new credits beginning tomorrow, April 21st. We’re already hard at work on a revised program that can support many, many more people. We will update you with the details of this revised program on May 19th.

If you have earned money, it’s yours to keep and we encourage you to put it towards something great. Those credits will expire on May 31st at 11:59 pm MST.

Because you’ve already connected, when the program resumes, you’ll be ready to roll. We won’t do anything with your data and we’ll maintain the privacy policy we’ve always held.

#31 ·
Thanks, I tried adding something. Still $1. I think I'm going to have to bother them if it's not fixed in a week or so. I'm not in a crazy hurry as I'm still hoping they'll give at least a little something for the data. Otherwise, I'll just unlink the accounts and keep playing w/Strava - it's kinda fun to see the maps and data.

#32 ·
yup, i got the same thing. I don't know what i'm supposed to do with $13 but I may just not use it at all.

I'm surprised they ended the program after only a week or two. if they had to take such drastic measures after such a short period of time it's unlikely that their new policy will closely resemble the old one. whatever they do i bet it amounts to less than $20 per month, if they continue it at all. just a guess.

we'll just have to wait and see...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.