Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    HPM
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Competitive Cyclist buyer beware

A heads up for anyone buying from Competitive Cyclist: what you buy might not be what you actually get, and they're not likely to correct the problem.

I bought a Santa Cruz Highball Carbon (complete) from Competitive Cyclist which arrived with a different wheelset than was advertised. The rims were supposed to be WTB Frequency Team i19 RCS, but arrived with Mavic TN719 rims. Might not be a huge difference in these rims to some, but besides not being what I expected, the WTB rims are lighter than the Mavics, and are tubeless ready, which the Mavics are not.

The first person I talked to at CC was helpful, recognized the mistake and assured me that they wanted to make the situation right. I told him I preferred to have the wheelset that was supposed to come with the bike. They called me after a few days to let me know that the Mavic wheelset that shipped with the bike was the only wheelset available, that Santa Cruz had made that change at some point, and had no WTB wheelsets left. The salesman said all he could do at that point was offer me a $75 gift card or a kit to convert the mavics to tubeless.

I've sent emails now suggesting that If they don't have the wheels I bought, they should replace the wheels with a set that's as light as the WTB's and are tubeless ready. If that's not an option they should replace the Mavic rims and credit my account the cost to rebuild with correct rims. If that's not an option they should credit the cost of the mavics and offer a discount on an upgraded wheelset. Am I out of line here?? It's probably a moot point because now they won't return my emails. So I'll prob just send the whole bike back.

I was stoked to buy this bike - first time I've had a 100% new bike, but this situation has f'd it all up. This is why all my bike shop buddies say to steer clear of the mega on-line retailers.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Seriously man?! It's called a running change and it's super common in the industry. CC isn't the manufacturer and they don't control what Santa Cruz sends them. They get the info from SC and post it. If SC changes it, they usually don't tell anyone and just expect the shops to figure it out. I'd take the $75 card, convert to tubeless, and run those wheels til the explode, then build up a nice custom set.

Rogue Exterminator
    You have an option to return the bike but demanding they replace the wheels with a set that will probably cost them more than they profited from the initial sale is a little ridiculous.

Running changes happen and you should especially expect it at the end of the model year.
    Not happy, return the bike, go to your LBS and pay full price for a 2013 model.

mtbr member
    CC informed you the best they could do is a $75 gift card and if that's not good enough for you, return your bike and get your refund.

Take your money to your LBS buddies and buy a bike from them.

Problem solved.

mtbr member
    CC is one of the best around by way of customer service. I'm gonna echo everyone else's sentiments and say take it or leave it. Sucks, the way it works between manufacturers and dealers, but it's common, and not CC's fault.

mtbr member
    if thats not an option, return your bike... NQA

mtbr member
    Take the 75.00. Then shut up. Posting a buyer beware thread on a company that is giving you 75.00 for a mistake not really theirs seems petty.

mtbr member
    I bought shoes from them and the next morning they were on sale. I flipped out (not really) and they gave me them for the sale price. They sorted it out no problem.

Take the credit or return the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you bought the R XC package that's what they state comes with the bike is the mavic tn719. Santa Cruz changed wheel options during the middle of the year. I got the 719 on my tallboy and like a month later they changed to the other set. Anyways to complain about that online is pretty lame, and they tried to help you out and you still complain. Do them a favor and send the bike back and let someone else ride it. I checked all the packages offered in the sale section for the wheels and no where did I see the WTB wheels advertised. If you read that on Santa Cruz site then you should also see that they make changes all the time on what is offered on the bikes as far as components.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    a) Keep the bike and take the $75
    b) Make them send a call tag and ship the bike back on their dime

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Even if you order from a shop, you're not guaranteed to get the parts advertised. Earlier this year we ordered two Blur LTs from SC, specced with DT Swiss rims. They arrived with WTB rims.

Like Surly disclaims in the QBP catalog: "Specs change. Cope." Most bike makers post something similar on their sites.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I would get the XTR set selling for $399. Tell them you want the $349 price from last week, and pay a little if you need to. 15mm front, 135 rear if it works. I have had 2 sets of Shimano XT UST(sold both), I have the XTR Trail UST, and I have 2 sets of WTB tubeless( 1 Frequency i23 set, and a 29er TCS set). I like the UST rims better. Sure, there are advantages to the WTB sets, but the UST rims are best for tubeless in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I would get the XTR set selling for $399. Tell them you want the $349 price from last week, and pay a little if you need to. 15mm front, 135 rear if it works. I have had 2 sets of Shimano XT UST(sold both), I have the XTR Trail UST, and I have 2 sets of WTB tubeless( 1 Frequency i23 set, and a 29er TCS set). I like the UST rims better. Sure, there are advantages to the WTB sets, but the UST rims are best for tubeless in my opinion.
    Highball is a 29er, those wheels are a little small.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Sorry, I did not know HIGHBALL was 29er! Nevermind! Maybe get wheel credit and buy WTB Laser TCS set that is for sale everywhere (got mine on Chainlove). I have TCS and i23, I think the i23 is cooler rim, but I like them both.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    As stated multiple times, running changes happen, sometimes for better or for worse. I had my Tallboy Carbon with a 142mm rear for over a month before Santa Cruz had updated THEIR OWN website with the info and photos.

Taken directly from Santa Cruz's website "* Price and specifications subject to change without notice. "

**** happens, take the $75 and be happy they offered you anything. I'm not surprised that Competitive Cyclist did that, they have an excellent reputation for good reason. I'm willing to bet 9 out of 10 local shops would have told you to quit your *****ing and go ride.

Climbs = necessary evil
    Seems like something outside of CC's control. If you aren't happy, ship it back for a full refund. Otherwise, if you want the bike but can't live with the rims, then take the credit, buy your own rims and resell the ones it came with. Ripping them here for something outside their control is weak.

mtbr member
    Lame! CC is one of the best places to shop. If you dont like the bike return it they will give you your money back. Dont come and say "buyer beware" like they just gipped you. They tried to make it right and you refused. Sounds to me we should post a seller beware of you sign!

mtbr member
    I understand your frustration, but CC is top notch. I think they are caught in a tough spot and are doing everything to please you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HPM View Post
    Am I out of line here?? .
    Yes.

Btw this thread sucks. Big time. CC and all their other sites are the best in the industry when it comes to customer service, return policy and price adjustments.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I like cc and have always had good experiences with them, but i think op has somewhat of a point here:

Cc's bikes clearly spec out each part (with the option to change any part as well), why couldn't they update the spec when they started getting different specs from mfcr? Or if this was an anomaly or one of the first bikes with the new spec, couldn't they just call or email the buyer? What if it was a bigger part change like a cheaper fork or crappy crank?

But, regardless, agree that cc can't do a lot here without wiping out its margin altogether . . . OP should probably return or take the $75

Trail Ninja
    You wanted to run WTB rims tubeless?

Another WTB rim tire blowoff, is it me?

Why stick with alloy rims when you can get carbon: (Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    I like cc and have always had good experiences with them, but i think op has somewhat of a point here:

Cc's bikes clearly spec out each part (with the option to change any part as well), why couldn't they update the spec when they started getting different specs from mfcr? Or if this was an anomaly or one of the first bikes with the new spec, couldn't they just call or email the buyer? What if it was a bigger part change like a cheaper fork or crappy crank?

But, regardless, agree that cc can't do a lot here without wiping out its margin altogether . . . OP should probably return or take the $75
    They do allow changing each part on custom builds...However the bike he bought is a Santa Cruz kit bike (unless I missed any evidence it wasn't) and the site only has provisions to ADD pedals, bottle cages and trip computers on kit bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I see both sides of this. SC changing the spec randomly, it getting advertised one way and then telling the customer to suck it up is pretty jacked. Especially if the customer was expecting/wanting the advertised item.

I do see that offering a $75 gift card to help correct the discrepancy is a pretty solid gesture. I just think the unadvertised change is not called for.

I ran into the same situation when we bought my GF's Tallboy from the LBS. Was expecting the WTB set. I didn't really know which was better so I didnt make a fuss.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    I see both sides of this. SC changing the spec randomly, it getting advertised one way and then telling the customer to suck it up is pretty jacked. Especially if the customer was expecting/wanting the advertised item.
    Again, I don't see the merit in blaming Competitive Cyclist when Santa Cruz clearly states on their site that specifications can change without notice. It's how the industry works, this is not the first or last time it will happen. They didn't say "Suck it up", they offered the $75 as compensation, and there is always the "No Questions Asked" return policy.

A thread in the Santa Cruz forum stating "Wheelset spec changed on kit bikes, WTF" would have been more appropriate instead of something leading people to believe that Competitive Cyclist is somehow ripping customers off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    CC is fantastic.Bought a pair of bibs...wore them for a couple rides,hated them, returned them for a refund and bought ones from them that I like better.Worn bibs and a refund..it doesn't get any better then that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast