Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    yeah, cc rocks!! got my trebec helmet there, and requested if it could be shipped to me within 48 hours, great service .

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    CC is tops in the industry when it comes to customer service. But i guess theres always someone that can't be pleased.

A mod should blackhole this thread, since its clear CC did nothing wrong.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I guess this wasn't the response the OP expected.

Now that the OP has been educated on this issue, the proper thing to do would be to delete this silly thread.

Trail Ninja
    Blame WTB or SC. WTB not keeping up production to meet SC's needs or their product not living up to expectations and SC switching to something they think works better for them and/or their customers.

Yeti's spec has running changes too, such as with their tire change from Schwalbe to Maxxis and Fox forks/shocks going to newer ones (including CTD). They don't do huge runs based on a year of production. They do seem to do batches at a time, a more agile approach, to react to demand and maybe apply changes, or fixes that appeared in early models, to newer batches as necessary.

mtbr member
    Is there a reason why CC couldn't have notified the buyer of the wheel change before they shipped it out, instead of waiting to see if he discovered it on his own? It's a different set of wheels, not different color chainring bolts.

AZ
    banned
    This thread contains no flaming, veiled threats, questions of family lineage or sexual orientation. What a bunch of slackers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Lol @ az mtns...

Op--take the $75 and go ride your bike.. One ride and you'll forget about wheelgate .. Who knows maybe this is the fate gods putting you on the set of wheels that save your life... Oh and another thumbs up for cc.. They are the best..

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Somewhat related. I asked them about the 142 rear axle Blur frames vs the 135, and CC told me they don't know until the box is opened. I presume they receive bike & box from supplier and put it on the shelf for customers.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Is there a reason why CC couldn't have notified the buyer of the wheel change before they shipped it out, instead of waiting to see if he discovered it on his own? It's a different set of wheels, not different color chainring bolts.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I like Mavic rims better!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    CC (AKA Backcountry) is as good as they get - I doubt anyone could please the OP.

mtbr member
    some of you must work for CC. they advertised something other than what he received. the website should have been updated with the correct specs. CC should offer to pay return shipping. this is what 99% of online retailers do if they send the wrong item. to be fair, this sort of thing happens with 99% of online retailers, lol.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    some of you must work for CC.
    Were all getting gift cards for showing support
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Were all getting gift cards for showing support
    knew it!!

Ow!
    I had a somewhat similar situation to the OP. I purchased a complete Blur LTc last fall from Hucknroll (so CC). And, gosh darnit, it was the wrong color. I ordered a black/silver frame, and what I got was a black frame. Oh, wait a minute, I like the black frame better. Nevermind.

I think the OP has a point. If CC listed the WTB rims as part of the package, I would have expected them also. I think a $75 gift card is a bit weak. Seems CC should have offered a discount on some other 29er set in stock that is acceptable to the OP, and pay for shipping the (likely superior) TN719 wheels back to CC.

But, OP, I think you may be overreacting. CC (and the rest of their family) are great to work with, so that is why you do not get much sympathy here. And I bet you got a great deal on the bike. Those rims are likely stronger than the WTB rims (but this is from a big Mavic fan). You might check to see if the Stans kit works well on the TN719 and, if so, use that $75 for a kit. You have a XC bike after all, so using tube tires as tubeless will probably work out fine. And I think you would have to use that *&@!%$ tape on the WTB rims anyways.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I don't see the OP posting in this tread again after a beating like this. Much deserved.

bog
    mtbr member
    I completely understand why the OP is upset about this. He ordered one thing and got something else (not a totally different someting else but different enough especially if you don't like TN719 rims). I don't agree with the title of the post at all. This was an honest mistake and certainly isn't some sort of scam that calls for a buyer beware post.
    CC is a great company and will take care of their customers. I do think the offer of $75 was a bit weak considering it would only cost CC about 1/2 of that. That being said, only they know the details of the sale and their profit margins so it may be all they can do.

Personally I'd be happy with the Mavic rims.The design and quality is far better than any WTB rim.
    Last edited by bog; 12-02-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    I completely understand why the OP is upset about this. He ordered one thing and got something else (not a totally different someting else but different enough especially if you don't like TN719 rims). I don't agree with the title of the post at all. This wa an honest mistake and certainly isn't some sort of scam that calls for a buyer beware post.
    Agree.

Trail Ninja
    Ask any retailer that sells Santa Cruz and Jenson, or hell, anything online, and they will say it's difficult to keep up with manually updating product pages. LBS that advertise bike sales online can't really afford to go back, edit, and update if it's sold or still available or has a new price.

What they seem to forgot is a disclaimer saying that product spec is subject to change at the manufacturer's discretion. They honestly can't tell what components a complete bike with kit comes with until they open the box, and one box might have the older ones and another might have the newer ones.

What Jenson has done with Yeti and their running tire change, was offer any tire you want in exchange for the stock ones. Met someone named George with one of the first SB95s and he got UST versions of Ardents both up front and back, set up tubeless. On the other hand, my SB95 I got from hucknroll... I was happy with it, despite not coming as spec'd. What I did was just post a review on their site saying what parts I received, and was actually happy I got Maxxis instead of Schwalbe and the RLC and RP23 over the CTD stuff.

OP is just upset about the rims. IMO, I like Mavic rims better too. The new WTB rims carry a lot of hype and *seem* to come in an OEM and retail version, with the OEM version being made with a different material. I saw a lot of people selling off stock WTB rimmed wheels. CC is being nice. On top of free shipping and no [up-front sales] tax, and their return policy (have never seen a LBS take back a new bike that left their store; some even refusing if it were still brand new) and very good discounts off MSRP, I can see why people think this OP is hard to please, though it could just be a highly dramatized misunderstanding and he could be into jumping into conclusions or into conspiracy theories.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My tallboy LTC I purchased from HnR (competitive cyclist) came with a DT swiss 350 rear hub instead of the advertised Shimano XT. I was pleasantly surprised by this change. These things happen and think CC handled this properly and generously. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal for the bike as a whole and the return policy.

noob
    i dont think they open the box to check the bike. they get the bike in a box from the mfg and sell it to you
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trueblue01gt View Post
    i dont think they open the box to check the bike. they get the bike in a box from the mfg and sell it to you
    They open. The complete bike I bought from them included an extensive checklist that included skillful truing of the wheels among other adjustments. The manufacture changed the specs and CC got what they sent.

Trail Ninja
    They definitely open it, most likely after you put in the order. They build it up, and then break it down to suit one of their own bigger boxes for shipping. Mine was very well packed. I know that most brands send their bikes almost fully assembled, but Yeti sends their's as a frame and full of individual bike parts. Not sure about Santa Cruz, as I haven't toured a warehouse or shop that sells 'em. Visited a shop's basement, that sells Kona. They let me tour it before I moved away, when I asked for a bike box--looked like a 1 man sweat shop, with one guy building numerous bikes up non-stop.

I've done a JensonUSA warehouse tour and they have pallets upon pallets of bikes and numerous bike build stations. I'd assume that they operate similarly to CC. Speedgoat has a video warehouse tour too.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 12-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.

MTB B'dos
    Sorry, but have to agree, the OP saw "X" specs and when he got his bike it didn't include the wheels the site had listed. Now regardless of if this is something that happens regularly in the bike business and the manufacturers have it stated on their sites that it is so, CC does not have such a statement and is the OPs shop, so to speak and as such would have pulled the bike to check that everything was there and OK and do minor adjustments etc. When they (CC) saw that the wheels were different they should have at least notified the OP and given him the option of not wanting the bike or maybe as suggested doing a swap out and paying the difference etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe3 View Post
    some of you must work for CC. they advertised something other than what he received. the website should have been updated with the correct specs. CC should offer to pay return shipping. this is what 99% of online retailers do if they send the wrong item. to be fair, this sort of thing happens with 99% of online retailers, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    I completely understand why the OP is upset about this. He ordered one thing and got something else (not a totally different someting else but different enough especially if you don't like TN719 rims). I don't agree with the title of the post at all. This was an honest mistake and certainly isn't some sort of scam that calls for a buyer beware post.
    CC is a great company and will take care of their customers. I do think the offer of $75 was a bit weak considering it would only cost CC about 1/2 of that. That being said, only they know the details of the sale and their profit margins so it may be all they can do.

Personally I'd be happy with the Mavic rims.The design and quality is far better than any WTB rim.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Threads like these are what we get for living in the United States of Entitlement.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I get how he could be frustrated. I am very particular about my builds, but that is why I do them custom. That said, I think he is overreacting to the event and CC provides incredible service in my experience. I have purchased two completes from them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast