Any suggestions on where to find used bikes besides the classifieds on MTBR and Craigslist? Thanks!
Local classified... and your LBS can have some too... Kijiji is good too.
eBay is a russian roulette on good deal for used stuff, so unless you buy locally and get to check the bike, forget about it. I have one for sale if you want.
Never had it ship and send payment if not buying from a retailer. SCAM or damaged product will happen pretty much at %99 of the time.
I got my $1 600 Freeride for $650 new on local classified... 2006 model as new, the guy had back problem, so he never really got to ride it. I also had a opportunity for a Trek Session 88 2010 at $2 000, because the guy had an accident and was too injured to keep riding...
Just have the cash ready and don't fool around when you get the deal you really want. And don't forget to make a sale/buying act, as you don't want trouble with hidden problems... (get the SN, model, year, address, phone number, name, everything, components, etc..)
Originally Posted by NicoleB28
My best advice
I've only got 200 dollars tied up in my mtbing hobbie because of some very shrewd trading.
- Craigslist is used by college kids, old/desperate people, and dirtbag/drags of the earth Piltdown men but It's where the deals are!
- Buy on C's list sell on Ebay or the forums. Look for bikes that are being sold for less than the sum of their components (Anything with a lefty is worth at least $400)
- Don't ever be afraid to make a lowball offer. desperation is a cruel mistress!
- Don't hesitate to make that offer again 2 months later!
I got 2 super V's for $400 bucks because I just waited them out. and then a pair of Felt Z35 full carbons for 1200. The His&her combo is always the best deal!!!!
- Pay in cash!!! The older crowd appreciates it, but to kids who don't pay taxes is doesn't really matter
- Shop out of your district and make the drive (http://www.searchtempest.com) It's the only way to shop
- Offer immediate $$$, "I'll come get it tonight/tomorrow/this weekend" Money NOW means a lot to people.
- every time you check your email scan over the searchtempests listings. Sometimes you can be first on the scene and score BIG.
- NEVER EVER, Buy something you don't want to get stuck with!
- Try to trade a bike a month!
- pick an area to specialize in, make it a big brand...Cannondale, specialized, etc.
- Don't trade in obscure or unsuited items. Example: I got a Sweet deal on a Specialized Big hit DH bike...but I live in Ohio... where it's flat...It took me 5 months to sell it and I lost
- make money on everything that touches your hands...even if its 1%
- Never confuse activity with productivity, don't buy just to be buying.
Its hard to score a good deal on ebay because everyone is watching and there are full time vultures that shop ALL day. Those same faults become strengths when it comes time to sell. The forums have some goodies but people on forum's know what they have and what its worth, same for the LBS and local riding clubs etc.
On average you can buy 3-5 year old bikes for 1/4 of their worth. It makes a great sideline, you get to cherry pick the parts, it pays for your toys if done correctly, and when your making $ on it the Mrs. is all of the sudden O.K. with those 4 bikes in the garage!
Thank you, great advice!
Originally Posted by leshaghal
never doubt craiglist, when i was looking for a new bike i visited craigslist every hour or so, great deals dont last long. I missed a nice cannondale by 20min for 175$. the next day a lightly used GT-Idrive popped up for 150$, within 10minutes of the listing I had offered 100$ cash and i would be there in 20minutes to pick it up. The deal was made and I scored a sweet bike within half an hour of it being posted. Turns out the guy got it as a xmas gift in 2001, rode it for a summer before he moved on to dirt bikes and it sat in his garage since then.
This guy should be trowed in jail for this... and the bike sold at federal auction and me buying it for $10...
Originally Posted by casualrider
Originally Posted by NicoleB28
By Stratocaster in forum General Discussion
Last Post: 02-11-2011, 06:13 AM
By biggamehunter78 in forum General Discussion
Last Post: 07-02-2007, 08:37 PM
By cptpowder in forum Titus
Last Post: 06-23-2007, 01:57 PM
By SHIVER ME TIMBERS in forum Site Feedback/Issues
Last Post: 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM
By aappling72 in forum Turner
Last Post: 07-02-2006, 07:10 PM