mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Chris King Headset best deal?

I just purchased a new frame that requires a chris king mixed taper 44mm upper and 49mm lower external. These retail for around $150 and I want to get the best deal if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas on where the best place to purchase this for the best price? I can't seem to find any used on ebay. If I could get 20% off retail price I would be happy.

Warrior's Society
    King Has pretty strict control on pricing.

Plus there is not a lot of markup on them for the dealers.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    nvm

Ow!
    Yep, not going to see much price difference between the sellers. If can wait a bit, sometimes sellers will have a % off sale, which sometimes includes CK. I have actually done this for other CK parts (with Cambria I believe, but they always have to be in stock).

Also, Universal (as mentioned) and Bike Bling seem to always have a % off going.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was able to get one for $131 a ebay

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Give the guys at Tryonbike an e-mail...They are a Chris King distributor, and I've gotten a few items from them, and they've been very competitive with pricing.

Rochester Bike Shop | Tryon Bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Bicycleoutfittersindy

^^^^

Try these guys. You get 15% off for any first time buyer. I'm looking at the CK Inset 3 for my new build. $155.00 plus 15% takes it down to $131.75. Best price I've been able to find, and believe me, I've been scouring the internet for this HS. Ebay has a some with "make an offer" options.

Free shipping on orders over $25.00 also.
    Last edited by kevinboyer; 12-06-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I inherited a Chris King on my Titus and IMO, overpriced. I had a Cane Creek and thought that was plenty sufficient. I'd say take a chance on a Cane Creek and if it don't cut it move up to CK. Minimal financial risk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah I need the inset 3 headset which seems to be limited in the used market. I may just need to bite the bullet and buy one for 10-15% off. the cheapest cane creek one that i can see available is $75. I've owned about 5 different king headsets over the years and the one thing I like best about them is the resell value (probably hence the difficulty in finding a good deal new). Of all the bike parts I've owned before I would say a King headset decreases in value less, except for maybe their hubs and dt swiss 240 hubs. thanks for the replys