Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    SuperInstigator
    Reputation: tibug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,169

    Check out this before asking 'what's the cheapest place to get this?'

    Just so you can find the best deals quicker and so you don't have to waste your's and other people's time with 'where's the cheapest place to get this' questions...

    [SIZE="5"]QBIKE.COM[/SIZE]

    Yea, it's in my sig too...
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,579
    qbike is nice but it leaves out lots of frequently cheapest dealers. bestbikebuys.com also is like qbike.com, but leaves some stuff out too, including closeouts on websites they do cover sometimes. they are good tools, but it's still worth it to post and ask for anyone knowing of deals.

  3. #3
    SuperInstigator
    Reputation: tibug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,169
    Thanks for the clarification!
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15

    QBike - Improvements

    Hey there,

    I must say, I'm glad I came across this thread! It's nice to know that cyclists are
    relying on QBike for finding the best prices on bike gear. I run the QBike site, and
    I'm really interested to learn how to improve it in any way. I'm in the market now
    myself for a Terry Fly Tri saddle and Easton Ascent II wheels, and when I didn't
    find thorough enough coverage on these items, I added 2 new sites to QBike.

    So- what are some of the sites you'd like to see added to QBike? What are
    some other features that would be nice to have? I recently began a project
    to group products by name - it makes viewing products and comparing prices
    a lot easier. I've been asked in the past to make category and other types of
    pages sortable by price, by name, etc. - would that be useful?

    Thanks for any ideas.

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    qbike is nice but it leaves out lots of frequently cheapest dealers. bestbikebuys.com also is like qbike.com, but leaves some stuff out too, including closeouts on websites they do cover sometimes. they are good tools, but it's still worth it to post and ask for anyone knowing of deals.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    423
    Triman, thanks for the good work, Qbike is definately improved a lot, since last time I visited it two years ago. I like the way it looks (with pictures) and how the product was sorted. Look better than bestbikebuy IMO and cover more resources too. Way to go!

  6. #6
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,135

    searching

    Quote Originally Posted by triman
    Hey there,

    I must say, I'm glad I came across this thread! It's nice to know that cyclists are
    relying on QBike for finding the best prices on bike gear. I run the QBike site, and
    I'm really interested to learn how to improve it in any way. I'm in the market now
    myself for a Terry Fly Tri saddle and Easton Ascent II wheels, and when I didn't
    find thorough enough coverage on these items, I added 2 new sites to QBike.

    So- what are some of the sites you'd like to see added to QBike? What are
    some other features that would be nice to have? I recently began a project
    to group products by name - it makes viewing products and comparing prices
    a lot easier. I've been asked in the past to make category and other types of
    pages sortable by price, by name, etc. - would that be useful?

    Thanks for any ideas.

    David
    I just visited the site briefly. clicked on forks, and saw a great big list. Is there any way to directly find the cheapest price on a particular item, or do you need to scroll through the multiple pages of listings?

    I tried the search. keyword - Reba. I got everything from socks to cables... not the intent of the search.

    also, things don't seem to be organized. i clicked on chains, and saw lubes mixed in with the chains, and other things as well. there is a separate section for lubricants. why are lubricants listed under chains? etc.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15

    QBike - Improvements

    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. It's hard to get all those pictures - something
    I have to work on every day - but it does make it a lot easier to sort through a page
    with 100 products on it. I try to add as many, if not all, of the retailers I can find
    online, but sometimes its hard to get the product information off the retailer pages.
    Anyhow, if you have any favorite online stores not covered on QBike, email and tell
    me, and I'll try to add them!

    I'm going to build a bike buyer's section this week. QBike has a big emphasis
    on parts and clothing, but it would be nice to help out bike buyers to find the
    right bike in the right price range. So look for that next week.

    Any other ideas, please let me know, I want to make the site as useful as
    possible for everyone! As it stands, it works fine for me, any time I need to
    get new tires or bar tape or upgrade wheels - which I'm trying to do now -
    QBike works fine for my purposes. But I built the site for my use and my
    friends' use in the Bay area, so of course I built it so that I like it! I want to
    make sure that QBike works for everyone else the best it can for them, too.

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBull
    Triman, thanks for the good work, Qbike is definately improved a lot, since last time I visited it two years ago. I like the way it looks (with pictures) and how the product was sorted. Look better than bestbikebuy IMO and cover more resources too. Way to go!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    293
    Add Unreal Cycles on there if you havent already, there pretty new but i just bought a 07 200mm Juicy 7 brake set for 100 bucks. there worth having on your site
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

    2008 Giant Reign X

    2007 Specialized Allez

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15

    Unreal Cycles on QBike

    Yep, I see where it's $100 for that brake set. Well, all of
    Unreal Cycles is now on QBike. Thanks for the suggestion,
    they have some good prices.

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by Curler
    Add Unreal Cycles on there if you havent already, there pretty new but i just bought a 07 200mm Juicy 7 brake set for 100 bucks. there worth having on your site

  10. #10
    Space for rent...
    Reputation: SSteve F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,012

    you should also check out.....

    It's only pain......

  11. #11
    I just let one RIP
    Reputation: Jwiffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,134
    just saw this, am looking at QBike now. I'm browsing through pedals, and I notice that Product and Site are reversed.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15

    QBike - columns

    You are right! Good catch. I changed up the column order
    last week due to the new grouping of products, so now the
    price and site come before the product listing. Thanks for
    pointing out the switch!

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    just saw this, am looking at QBike now. I'm browsing through pedals, and I notice that Product and Site are reversed.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoiseBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    706

    Crc

    Quote Originally Posted by triman
    Hey there,

    I must say, I'm glad I came across this thread! It's nice to know that cyclists are
    relying on QBike for finding the best prices on bike gear. I run the QBike site, and
    I'm really interested to learn how to improve it in any way. I'm in the market now
    myself for a Terry Fly Tri saddle and Easton Ascent II wheels, and when I didn't
    find thorough enough coverage on these items, I added 2 new sites to QBike.

    So- what are some of the sites you'd like to see added to QBike? What are
    some other features that would be nice to have? I recently began a project
    to group products by name - it makes viewing products and comparing prices
    a lot easier. I've been asked in the past to make category and other types of
    pages sortable by price, by name, etc. - would that be useful?

    Thanks for any ideas.

    David
    ChainReacionCyle.com beats every price listed on the site
    BoiseBoy

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15

    QBike - UK and other sites

    I went to www.chainreactioncycles.com - is that the site you were referring to?
    Anyhow, great looking site and they have a ton of stuff for sale. QBike is no longer
    indexing British or Canadian or Australian bike stores, though, as it made for a
    confusing experience for users (me included!).

    I chose a random product off their front page: the SRAM X.9 Trigger Shifter.
    QBike has:

    http://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/find.cg...ram+trigger+x9

    The '07 version ranges in price from $44.00 to $64.99. Chain Reaction Cycles
    has it for 39.99 - but that is in pounds (or quid). Converting 1.8 to 1 to the US$
    puts it at $72.

    In any case, I think it's b/c the prices are in pounds that they look lower
    across the board, but really, they probably have the lowest prices around
    for only some stuff. Unfortunately, we won't be able to add them to QBike
    at this time - unless we make a UK-only version of the site!

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy
    ChainReacionCyle.com beats every price listed on the site

  15. #15
    SuperInstigator
    Reputation: tibug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,169
    Hey, Triman. I have what I think to be an interesting question. Do you just put whatever sites you want on Qbike when you want, or do you have to get their permission? If so, how much permission do you need to get?

    P.S. Is there a list of companies that Qbike has on the site? I see the sidebar on the right, but that one only has twenty something sites.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15

    QBike - sites

    I pretty much just add whatever sites I see, if it's possible. Sometimes
    it's not easy, or not even possible, to do, e.g., sites that use a lot of javascript
    or Flash or frames are hard to work with. I contact just about every site that
    is listed at some point to make sure it's ok with them, though only 1 site has
    ever objected in 8 years - and that was only on the basis that I couldn't get
    100% of their products at the correct prices all the time due to difficult HTML.

    I was considering making a retailer list page, such as you describe, but I haven't yet.
    The retailers are those on the sidebar on the front page plus those at the bottom of
    pages plus any others you see listed (some retailers only have 80 to 150 products in
    their catalogs, so they aren't shown in any lists).

    I'm glad you like using the site, and keep the ideas coming! I just launched the
    brand new road bike buying guide today. I get asked all the time (strangely, often
    while doing swim workouts and biking comes up) where to find a road bike, so maybe
    the buying guide will help out a bit. The thing I am most jazzed about are the links
    showing road bikes in price ranges - $500-$800, $1,250-$1500, etc. Now I'm going
    to work hard to add as many bikes as I can find so that it becomes a really useful
    guide to finding complete bikes.

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by tibug
    Hey, Triman. I have what I think to be an interesting question. Do you just put whatever sites you want on Qbike when you want, or do you have to get their permission? If so, how much permission do you need to get?

    P.S. Is there a list of companies that Qbike has on the site? I see the sidebar on the right, but that one only has twenty something sites.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    90
    Hi
    Great looking site.

    When looking at a product the price link takes you to the sellers site. Could this or some other link show all the available retailers with current pricing for that product. You currently have two links which take the purchaser to the same site. (price and item type)

    This would help greatly when comparison shopping.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15

    QBike - category pages

    By "directly find" what do you mean? Obviously I can't know what item you
    might be looking for on the forks page, so how could I make the listings on
    that page such that you can more quickly find what you're looking for?
    All the items that have had their prices marked down appear first on category
    pages, with orange and red prices. Then regular listings appear in order of
    price ascending.

    But to answer your question, I would say: search! Which is exactly what
    you did. So you tried "reba" and found (as I do now) 141 items. The reason
    for this is that I have always employed a very broad - and VERY fast - search
    algorithm that will return as many items matching your search as possible.
    So you may be seeking products like:

    "RockShox 07 Reba Race Air 100mmSilver Disc brake"

    but a generic search algorithm can't know that. You could just as well
    be searching for:

    "Sock Guy FireBall Sock"

    and have decided to type in "reba" as part of FireBall. So digging a little
    deeper... I was always dissatisfied with searches I made on other sites
    (any type of site, not just biking or sports) that turned up 0 results when
    I knew darn well there were matching items. My philosophy is to return
    as many matching products as possible and let the user, through refined
    searching, hone in on what they are looking for.

    One way to look at it is: "the less you type, the more you find." That's how
    search should work. Whereas, if someone types in the search:

    "profile jammer aerobar"

    I would expect that to pretty much narrow down to just a few exact
    matching items.

    In your case, you are looking (presumably) for the Rock Shox Reba - so
    how about searching for "shox reba". That ought to pretty much nail
    exactly what you are looking for, whereas "rock shox reba race forks"
    would probably match a few products, but you'd miss out on some of
    the better deals for products that don't contain all those words. In other
    words, searching on QBike favors (a lot) typing in well thought-out
    searches to really nail exactly what you're looking for - and to find the
    best prices.

    So, I understand the intent of your search - but a general search technique
    that covers "black sock" to "reba" to "26mm stem" to "aerobar" can't figure
    out every time what you want. That's where you have to help it out a little bit!

    About the categories - those are tough to nail down, especially "chains" of
    all categories. There are "chain tools" and "chain cleaners" and "chain pins"
    and "chainrings" and "chain rings" and "chain lube" and "chain necklace"
    as well as another dozen varieties of "chain" items. We do our best to keep
    category listings as clean as possible, but it's (without product SKU or UPC
    codes) to get everything just right. You happened to point out one of the, if
    not the, hardest categories.

    Having said all this - I think category pages are by and large not useful,
    but people seem to really like them. I agree with you, scrolling through
    pages of product listings isn't the way to find what you're looking for.
    I don't use the category pages when I'm shopping for bike parts - I go
    straight to search every time. And sometimes use the super savers
    pages to get a quick overview of exactly what is currently on sale.

    Hope that helps to explain our approach on search technology. Thanks for
    the feedback, we'll try to clean up some of those category pages as best
    we can.

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I just visited the site briefly. clicked on forks, and saw a great big list. Is there any way to directly find the cheapest price on a particular item, or do you need to scroll through the multiple pages of listings?

    I tried the search. keyword - Reba. I got everything from socks to cables... not the intent of the search.

    also, things don't seem to be organized. i clicked on chains, and saw lubes mixed in with the chains, and other things as well. there is a separate section for lubricants. why are lubricants listed under chains? etc.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BoiseBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    706

    Crc

    Quote Originally Posted by triman
    I went to www.chainreactioncycles.com - is that the site you were referring to?
    Anyhow, great looking site and they have a ton of stuff for sale. QBike is no longer
    indexing British or Canadian or Australian bike stores, though, as it made for a
    confusing experience for users (me included!).

    I chose a random product off their front page: the SRAM X.9 Trigger Shifter.
    QBike has:

    http://www.qbike.com/cgi-bin/find.cg...ram+trigger+x9

    The '07 version ranges in price from $44.00 to $64.99. Chain Reaction Cycles
    has it for 39.99 - but that is in pounds (or quid). Converting 1.8 to 1 to the US$
    puts it at $72.

    In any case, I think it's b/c the prices are in pounds that they look lower
    across the board, but really, they probably have the lowest prices around
    for only some stuff. Unfortunately, we won't be able to add them to QBike
    at this time - unless we make a UK-only version of the site!

    David
    I apologize, I may have generalized. My experience has been that all Shimano parts are considerably less expensive than any other site that I have visited and that is in US Dollars, not pounds. There is a drop down box that will convert the site to US Dollars.
    BoiseBoy

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    993
    Quote Originally Posted by triman
    But to answer your question, I would say: search! Which is exactly what
    you did. So you tried "reba" and found (as I do now) 141 items. The reason
    for this is that I have always employed a very broad - and VERY fast - search
    algorithm that will return as many items matching your search as possible.
    So you may be seeking products like:

    "RockShox 07 Reba Race Air 100mmSilver Disc brake"

    but a generic search algorithm can't know that. You could just as well
    be searching for:

    "Sock Guy FireBall Sock"

    and have decided to type in "reba" as part of FireBall.
    Why not sort the search results and order them with the complete keywords first, then the various other results after? That or provide an advanced option for whole word searches only (what the heck, just let them provide their own regular expression).

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    148
    I just clicked on four of the featured items on the front page, which all turned out to have significantly higher prices, close to twice as high as stated on qbike. Then I remembered that the same happened about two years ago when someone (the owner?) had put up a post about qbike and that I then decided the page was worthless.

    Any bike part price comparison sites out there that actually work?

    Sorry for bumping this up again, but I am sure it will be bumped up again by the owner anyways.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by tibug
    Just so you can find the best deals quicker and so you don't have to waste your's and other people's time with 'where's the cheapest place to get this' questions...

    [SIZE="5"]QBIKE.COM[/SIZE]

    Yea, it's in my sig too...
    I prefer Froogle and bestwebbuys myself. qbike has never came up with the lowest price for me.

  23. #23
    TurnURComputerOff&GoRide
    Reputation: rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    91

    Thanks

    Hey Triman - I just wanted to say THANKS.
    Qbike didn't work on everything for me, but it did help me save some bucks on quite a number of purchases over the last 6 months.
    I like minimal effort to save money and your efforts on Qbike delivered that. I think it would be unrealistic to set out to try and cover every deal or item out there. But what you are covering is definitely helpful - THANKS!!!!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15

    QBike - search ordering

    That's a good idea - I will consider that. If done right - and that's
    going to be the tricky part - the "top" results with complete keyword
    matches should hone in (ideally) on the sought after items. The
    "bottom" results would be the "sort of" match items. I will try this
    and see if it fits with what you are describing and with what you and I
    both probably envision happening. Keep an eye out...

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by anotherbrian
    Why not sort the search results and order them with the complete keywords first, then the various other results after? That or provide an advanced option for whole word searches only (what the heck, just let them provide their own regular expression).

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    15

    QBike - price comparisons

    It used to be there were 2 links per product: the product name to the
    exact product page, and the site name to the site front page. But I never
    used the site link and I figured no one else did. I made the price linkable
    just because that's the thing we're all looking at! But it is redundant.

    About "seeing all the prices for THE product" - that's the product grouping
    problem I'm working on. I don't get SKU or UPC with every product, so it
    becomes a string-matching algorithm, which is an imperfect science to say
    the least. I am very seriously considering letting users group products -
    yes, they are "doing the work" so to speak, but it'll help them and it'll help
    the next person to come along. Plus, I'm already grouping products as
    much as I can, from a top-down sort of approach- most common or most
    popular mfrs first, most common product name stems second, etc.

    But yes, ideally, every single product would be perfectly grouped with all
    matching products, and I'm aiming to get it as close as I can.

    There are feature pages which show product detail for certain products-
    those pages have all the prices for a given product on them. But the price
    list on a feature page will just match the price list on a search result page,
    so they are the same in comparison value, it's just that the feature page
    has a bigger picture and the textual description. We are adding new
    feature pages every week, but it's lower on the priority list right now.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    David

    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm
    Hi
    Great looking site.

    When looking at a product the price link takes you to the sellers site. Could this or some other link show all the available retailers with current pricing for that product. You currently have two links which take the purchaser to the same site. (price and item type)

    This would help greatly when comparison shopping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •