OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Cheapest way to lose weight

Ok... again maybe not the best forum but I figure the folks on this board are probably experts on saving a buck.

If I wanted to lower the weight of my bike what is the most cost effective way to do it?

Right now I'm replacing the wheelset with a sub 1950 gram wheelset. I also know that tires make a big difference and I'm looking at tires. Any other inexpensive ways to drop some grams?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    take a c**p before riding !

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I found a ti spring for my shock on ebay that cost $35 and saved me about 150 grams. Also, going from clipless full platform Mallets to smaller platform Acid saved me some weight too. Try to save some weight when you upgrade also helps save some money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Ti bolts

did you ever count how many bolts you actually have on your bike,...interesting
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Some rambling thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by 0gre
    Ok... again maybe not the best forum but I figure the folks on this board are probably experts on saving a buck.

If I wanted to lower the weight of my bike what is the most cost effective way to do it?

Right now I'm replacing the wheelset with a sub 1950 gram wheelset. I also know that tires make a big difference and I'm looking at tires. Any other inexpensive ways to drop some grams?
    Cheapest and one of the best ways is tires/tubes. But tire weights vary considerably. Going tubeless may lose a few grams as well.

Next look at the wheels - build 'em to take the abuse you dish out, and worry about weight second. A good XC wheelset is now under 1400g, but cost quite a bit - take a look at the weight board for more details on that one. I'm happy with my 1500g XC disc wheels for my type of riding/weight.

It's a little bit here, a little bit there, but it ads up.

But there is truth in the old Bontrager rule of thermodynamics - light, strong, cheap - pick two. There are a few exceptions to the rule - but they may come with their own quirks - if you can live with them only you can decide.

A couple of things that may be relatively inexpensive - but they wond't be the lightest things either. A quality seatpost can be as little as $30 and save 50-100g over a stock one. A seat of the same style with ti rails can be another 100g or so (between these two alone you're looking at almost a half a pound potentially). Roadie bar tape over regular gips might be another 30g (or an ounce). And a XT or X9 cassette is a decent price/weight savings over a lower level cassette. Could be as much as 150g or so depending on what's there to start with.

There are light cranks, stems, bars, forks, cassettes. Just depends on how much you want to lose, how much you want to spend.

Things that I'd look for to do cheaply after wheels/tires - seatpost. Salsa is decently light and around $30. Seat - take your favorite and watch ebay for a ti rail version - prices vary. Cassette, wait for a sale pick up an XT.
    Bolt on skewers - $10 and lose a couple of ounces - think up to about 50g.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    did you ever count how many bolts you actually have on your bike,...interesting
    Thats probably the very least cost effective way to lighten a bike
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by 0gre

Go lightweight tubes (not the uber weinie latex kind, but the kind in between) for ~50g savings at the outside of each wheel for $5 each. No tube will stop thorns or pinchies, so you lose nothing. I AM/light FR with these.

IMHO, after the outside of the wheel, bike weight is added to body weight, so 180# person +20# bike, lose 2# off bike for 1% gain.

That said, look to Ritchey Foam grips at 60g (~$10), a light seat (could save 200g) for cost effectiveness look to house brands (sette) as seats are often rebranded.

Then there is low rolling resistance in tires. If you are doing XC or endurance events, again IMHO, RR is the biggest factor as it is ALWAYS with you, while weight is really only an acceleration issue. Michelin Dry2 tires look efficient. Maxxis Crossmark. Schwable Racing Ralph. key: 70a rubber (rebounds fast, giving the energy gone into distortion back to you).

Note: converted tubeless is almost the same weight as a semi-light tube set-up.

Aluminum chainring bolts, nylon bolts for unused bottle cage bolts (get at home depot), lose the 44t and change the 32t to 36t, light bash (can be had on ebay for $10), or no bash (set up FD well), remove shift indicator windows from Shimano shifters, bolt-on skewers (60g & $10)

Note that all I have mentioned are both cheap and compromise no strength (both are key for me ).

Then there is that cr@p thing.

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 05-20-2008 at 10:38 PM.

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by raceer2
    take a c**p before riding !
    Your bike c**ps?!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    First, I do not have the lightest bike out there so I may not know what I am talking about. My hard tail is about 21.25 pounds with pedals and cages.

If you have not pulled the trigger on the 1950 gram wheel set, keep looking. You should be able to shave about 400 grams without a significant $$$ penalty. 400 grams is about one pound.

You are on the right track - reduce rolling weight. Think light tires (semi slicks) in the sub 500 gram range.

Cut the cables and housing to the shortest acceptable length.

Your seat post needs 4 inches inside the seat tube. Cut the rest and discard.

What's the weight of your saddle? You can find a "Carbon Pro" saddle on ebay for less than $30. It weighs about 160 grams.

Shop long term for a lighter fork. You can find a 3.5 pound fork for less than $200.

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Wow, thanks for all the replies!

Racer2 - "take a c**p before riding !" Great suggestion, but I am aware of this method. I also know about the "Put Down the Fork" method. Working on those two, right now I'm just thinking about inexpensive ways to shave lbs off the bike.

JmZ + Others - I failed to mention that the bike is a 29er so 1500 gram wheelsets are a little more expensive. There are some 1650 gram wheelsets. Maybe next time. I've been having some trouble with bent rims so my main focus on this wheelset was strength. The flows I got are probably overkill, I wanted the arches which are lighter but 29er arches are tough to find right now.

I've been looking at tires and tubes and the guy who is helping me build the wheel suggested Stans so I'm going to give that a shot.

Great suggestion on the cassette, I hadn't realized how much weight the cheaper ones added... LX == 465 grams, XT=260g SRAM 770 is 330g and $44 about 1/2 the cost of the XT but not much heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P
    Note that all I have mentioned are both cheap and compromise no strength (both are key for me ).
    This is what I'm thinking about. Sounds like I'll look at maybe a new seat also, my current one is nearing it's end of life.

Thanks for some good suggestions guys!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Speaking of seats, I found Rocket V most comfy and Performance selling them off for $59 in SE edition. It's roughly 240g seat with some tuning potential.

On the cassete, try PG980, few bucks more than 970 but weight 280g (11-32). Since it came out I never used anything else.

Grips: Titec pork rinds = 20g, Richey WCS/ESI 50g (ESI more comfy), regular rubber 100g, lock-ons -140g.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    aha Now you are being specific :-)

Yes, stans arch, dt spokes, etc wheelset can be had for 1600+-50g or so. I can source the arch but its from half way across the world so not much point for you. AC wheelset will be about 1580 or so. Yes these are for 29ers.

Suitability also depends on your weights... my 29er comes in just over 10kg at the moment.

Best would be to save up and dont replace sub 1900 just yet. Get the lightest set your budget/riding style/weight/maintenance regime will support and be done with it. THEN move on to other items mentioned like cassette (XT prob good value) cranks and stuff like seat (Shadow is good for me approx 190g for the few I have). Seat is very personal so best to check yourself.

hth, my 2c, less with inflation