Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008

Chains, cassettes, and shifters...

I'm making the switch from 8 to 9 speed, so I will be needing a chain, cassette, and rear shifter. I am probably going with XT for all of this, unless someone recommends something different.
    Question is- where is the best place to get those items?

offroader
    Dec 2008
    At a bike shop?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    sram rear der and shifters. look around online and you can find some good deals. however, doesn't appear that you know much about this stuff so you might want to get it at the lbs because I assume that they'll ned to do the install.

mtbr member
    Buy from your LBS, they will deal on the installation as by the sounds of it you will need them to install it. If they dont have it in stock they can order it for you, dont worry it sounds like it takes longer than it actually does

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I recently upgraded my shifters to XT, my chain to an XTR and cassette to a SRAM 971. The best deal (apart from ebay or other nonreputable sources) was Bluesky for the shifters, Jensonusa for the chain and wheelworld for the cassette. I didn't buy them all at the same time, but if I had I would have just bought from one of the three that had all three and just asked for a price match (which they all have). Good luck.

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    I can do the install, I was just hoping for some recommendation as to where any good deals are for cassettes, chains, and shifters-pricepoint and some other places all seem a little expensive. Did you all think I was referring to the derailleur when i said "shifter"? I just need the right side shifter for the rear derailleur...

mtbr member
    For Shimano stuff, chainreactioncycles.com. Free shipping over $250. They are in the UK, but ship just as fast as anyone in the US. M770 right hand shifter for $63 or both for $92. XT cassettes for $55 (get 2 at this price!). Chain prices are nothing special. If you are patient, they regularly have deals on other Shimano components. I've picked up M760 XT cranksets for $115 and LX M580 cranksets for $75 - yes, complete with rings and the outboard bearings.

Finally, always check out sites like www.qbike.com. Easy to search for domestic deals on parts.

Good luck,

MTBmoose

Quote Originally Posted by Trek7000rider
    I can do the install, I was just hoping for some recommendation as to where any good deals are for cassettes, chains, and shifters-pricepoint and some other places all seem a little expensive. Did you all think I was referring to the derailleur when i said "shifter"? I just need the right side shifter for the rear derailleur...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Unless the entire drivetrain is worn why switch? 8 speed is more durable and shifts better for longer, it is just harder to find good shifters and cassettes. You can run any of the modern derailleurs with your current 8 speed shifter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBmoose
    For Shimano stuff, chainreactioncycles.com. Free shipping over $250. They are in the UK, but ship just as fast as anyone in the US. M770 right hand shifter for $63 or both for $92. XT cassettes for $55 (get 2 at this price!). Chain prices are nothing special. If you are patient, they regularly have deals on other Shimano components. I've picked up M760 XT cranksets for $115 and LX M580 cranksets for $75 - yes, complete with rings and the outboard bearings.

Finally, always check out sites like www.qbike.com. Easy to search for domestic deals on parts.

Good luck,

MTBmoose
    OT:

Moose-if you ever see an XT crankset again for $115, please let me know. What kind of shipping and handling charges are you looking at ordering from Chainreaction.com?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    At a bike shop?
    Only if one wants to get ripped off.

mtbr member
    Poontank,

Yeah, I'll give you a shout. Don't know about shipping charges as I always order enough to get the free shipping (currently $250). And some credit card companies charge a currency exchange fee since ChainReactionCycles is in the UK, but my Credit Union card doesn't. No worries about import duties - I've never been charged any.

MTBmoose

Quote Originally Posted by poontank
    OT:

Moose-if you ever see an XT crankset again for $115, please let me know. What kind of shipping and handling charges are you looking at ordering from Chainreaction.com?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Lots of stores on e-bay that have good deals on new parts.

~Disc~Golf~
    "pricepoint and some other places all seem a little expensive"
    really?
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Comparisonpricing.com for components....8 speed is better IMO. Be sure your chainrings are compatible with a 9spd chain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    pricepoint has a sram 971 chain 2008 (like i care about what year my chain is?) for like 18 bucks...and you can get a sram 951 or 971 for 20-30 bucks...then you can get whatever shifters and derailleurs you like...

i think i heard that all the Shimano LX stuff will no longer be made since they're making SLX, so you should be able to find some sweet clearance on them if anyone still has it...