KPH
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Chain Reaction and UK VAT

Hi Guys,

Thinking of buying some forks from CRC and getting shipped to Thailand where I'm currently located.

Looking for answers from those who have had goods shipped internationally:

Q1. UK Vat is 20%, thus if the price in the website is GBP1000, was the 20% knocked off , so you only paid (for eg) GBP800 ?

Q2. There used to be a free shipping on International Orders. Does anyone know is this still applied. Doesn't seem to be showing on the website.

Thanks.

local trails rider
    Their site calculates the price with or without VAT, depending on what country you have selected in your Settings (near the top right corner of each page)

I still see the free shipping in the black bar at the top: complete bikes are excluded. It is different for different locations: don't know how it is for Thailand.

You can just put things in the shopping basket, and it will automatically show how much everything will cost, as long as you have your country selected correctly.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Not sure if you've noticed the Credit card handling issues CRC has been having of late.
    I've heard multiple people mentioning compromised credit card info. CRC claims to have fixed things, but I'd still be wary. They do accept Paypal.

KPH
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Their site calculates the price with or without VAT, depending on what country you have selected in your Settings (near the top right corner of each page)

I still see the free shipping in the black bar at the top: complete bikes are excluded. It is different for different locations: don't know how it is for Thailand.

You can just put things in the shopping basket, and it will automatically show how much everything will cost, as long as you have your country selected correctly.
    Thanks very much - easy !!

ONe thing - I changed the country from UK to Thailand, and the price only reduced by 16.6%. not the 20% which is the current VAT rate in the UK - strange. Might give em a call to find out why before ordering.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    In short yes and yes.
    Select your country in the top right, it calculates the costs for you, i.e. it deducts the tax.

I put in an order about 2 weeks ago there. They need to be shipped to Norway which is outside the EU. Goods are shipped tax-free. I paid no shipping costs due to being over 1500 NOK, about 165 GBP.
    But when I go and pick up the goods I have to pay 25% VAT over the net amount, because the VAT rate here is 25% .

I used paypal, no problems.

The only difference i noted recently is that I did not get a Parcelforce tracking number anymore, which I got on my earlier orders.

Little tip: also check wiggle.co.uk, I found that they are cheaper, especially once you become a platinum member (if you've spent over 500 GBP in the last 12 months).
    Good luck

EDIT: you type faster than i do

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KPH
    ONe thing - I changed the country from UK to Thailand, and the price only reduced by 16.6%. not the 20% which is the current VAT rate in the UK - strange. Might give em a call to find out why before ordering.
    That's because you are looking at this the wrong way around: the 20% is added to the original price. If you take that same amount off the higher price with VAT it is 16.66% and not 20%.

If you start with a price of $100 and add 20% you get $120. Now take $20 off that $120 to get back to the original $100 and its 16.66% of $120.

Tim

local trails rider
    What happens when the stuff arrives in Thailand? CRC has no influence on that. Lots of taxes and duties to pay?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What happens when the stuff arrives in Thailand? CRC has no influence on that. Lots of taxes and duties to pay?

Their may be some taxes, but that's really up to the country laws. Nothing to do with CRC.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by stoot
    Their may be some taxes, but that's really up to the country laws. Nothing to do with CRC.
    Exactly what I was saying. Sometimes people forget that part of international buying and it comes as a shocking surprise.

KPH
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes, you guessed it !! The VAT in thailand is 7% and the import duty 10%, plus some clearance charges etc, so all-in-all not too bad.

I once got stung on a pair of cycles shoes though - 40% duty !!!. . Learnt my lesson though.

Wombat - yes, didn't consider that !!

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    Not sure if you've noticed the Credit card handling issues CRC has been having of late.

I've heard multiple people mentioning compromised credit card info. CRC claims to have fixed things, but I'd still be wary. They do accept Paypal.
    I would use paypal just incase