mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Chain Reaction Cycles - XT Groupset

Seems like a great deal to me but haven't pulled the trigger, yet. Any thoughts on this?

Shimano XT M785 10 Speed Double Groupset | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You can have it for cheaper at Merlin Cycles and you can even customize it

Shimano XT M780 2 x 10 Disc Brake Groupset | Merlin Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Its a good price, but you can do better. For example, you can put the same components together one by one at ribblecycles.co.uk for about $100 less. There will be some minor differences, which may be good or bad depending on your preferences (26T inner versus 24T inner, GS versus SGS rear der, finned pads, etc).

I'm surprised that chainreaction says they ship the SGS rear der, since its a double crankset gruppo. You'd really want the GS version on a double. Maybe its a typo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lRaphl View Post
    You can have it for cheaper at Merlin Cycles and you can even customize it

Shimano XT M780 2 x 10 Disc Brake Groupset | Merlin Cycles
    Interesting. Like chainreaction, they list the triple SGS rear der in the gruppo, and despite all the other custom options, they don't have a GS option on the rear der.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I agree you could probably do a little better buying piece by piece, but Ribble has been sold out of Shimano brakes for a while. I priced it out on Merlin though and it came out about $100 cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    FWIW, I recently installed an SLX 2x, and had a new GS with clutch installed at the shop. According to the shop Shimano recommends the SGS rear der for 2x......but said the GS will work. I did not look into it further, just had them install. Works perfect

As a side note a buddy of mine who works at his families bike shop said to use the GS

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    I agree you could probably do a little better buying piece by piece, but Ribble has been sold out of Shimano brakes for a while. I priced it out on Merlin though and it came out about $100 cheaper.
    I'm seeing a $55 difference... Nice thing about CRC is they offer 365 day return and you can select royal mail which has better odds against paying import tax (USA). Merlin appears to use UPS. UPS will collect import tax which I believe is around 9%... or $55 and they charge a processing fee to do so (I think its around $12) which would make CRC cheaper (if I have the right #'s)
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    FWIW, I recently installed an SLX 2x, and had a new GS with clutch installed at the shop. According to the shop Shimano recommends the SGS rear der for 2x......but said the GS will work. I did not look into it further, just had them install. Works perfect

As a side note a buddy of mine who works at his families bike shop said to use the GS
    I'd definitely go GS. The pros outweigh the cons.

Shimano's spec for the GS is 35T capacity and SGS is 43, so given the ~39T total of a common 2X configuration (11-36 with 24/38) the GS doesn't have the capacity in theory.

In practice, if you use a chain length that can accommodate the large/large combo, the shifting with the GS is superb. The "price" you pay is a small one: the small/small combos will have a very slack chain. But virtually no one rides a 24T front with the 11 or 13T rear, and certainly no one needs to, so for me this is inconsequential.

I've been running a 24/38 with 11-36 and a GS rear XT M786 for many miles on one of my bikes, and its functioned superbly.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nope, I've ordered lots of stuff with Merlin (and CRC, and Ribble, and Wiggle) and haven't been hit with customs yet. All my Merlin stuff came USPS I believe.

**Merlin uses Royal Mail btw

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    Nope, I've ordered lots of stuff with Merlin (and CRC, and Ribble, and Wiggle) and haven't been hit with customs yet. All my Merlin stuff came USPS I believe.

**Merlin uses Royal Mail btw
    When I went through the checkout process on the Merlin site it was showing UPS International as the carrier but when I added a second XT group to my basket it gave me the option of TNTPost Global... just something to look out for.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    How are the duties for Canada/US when purchased from Merlin Cycles?

ChainReactionCycles always caused me to pay the extra...

Chris.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    cheaper with ribble by far. just no brakes. come on ribble.