mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Chain Reaction Cycles Opinion Please?

I just recieved my order and DSL is billing me with a $71.00 (20%) customs duty charge. Has anyone incountered that recenly?

I emailed CRC but they are not responding.

Not sure what to do.

Mojo

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Is it duty or duty and brokerage fees? Usually the fee is more than the duty.
    Was it big? Everything always comes postal for me.

mtbr member

Re: Chain Reaction Cycles Opinion Please?

Customs fees from chain reaction have always been fair for me and only charged on about 30% of my orders. UPS from the USA on the other hand....

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Customs duty is nothing to do with CRC, that's down to you the recipient and the laws in your country.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member

Re: Chain Reaction Cycles Opinion Please?

Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement View Post
    Customs duty is nothing to do with CRC, that's down to you the recipient and the laws in your country.
    Customs fees yes. Brokerage fees no. I will pay more if the company uses ups. Guaranteed. Agreed its not the company charging the fees though.

"So I'm packing my bag for the misty mountain.."

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixnr View Post
    I will pay more if the company uses ups.
    Do you mean USPS not UPS? UPS are notorious for their exorbitant brokerage fees as are DHL. Add to that the fact that they will both charge the taxes/duty every time - postal shipments seem to do so on a random basis. I now put a note with my CRC orders asking them not to use DHL.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixnr View Post
    Customs fees yes. Brokerage fees no. I will pay more if the company uses ups. Guaranteed. Agreed its not the company charging the fees though.
    Agreed. The main reason I use CRC [other than low prices and very fast shipping] is that they don't use UPS. I always choose the free shipping option, and half the time I don't get charged any taxes, duties or brokerage.

OP: I would check with DSL to see why they are charging so much for duty, although I imagine it's actually a brokerage charge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    So what you guys are saying is the when I order from CRC it is a crap shoot weather I will be charged more than what CRC quotes with the so called free shipping?

Why would anyone order from them? I got charged an additinal $70 bucks (20%)because of this. Obviously I wouldnt have bought the parts if I knew this.

And yes it is DSL

CRC isnt going to help me either, It's my problem, what if I refuse to pay DSL?

Mojo

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man View Post
    So what you guys are saying is the when I order from CRC it is a crap shoot weather I will be charged more than what CRC quotes with the so called free shipping?

Why would anyone order from them? I got charged an additinal $70 bucks (20%)because of this. Obviously I wouldnt have bought the parts if I knew this.

And yes it is DSL

CRC isnt going to help me either, It's my problem, what if I refuse to pay DSL?

Mojo
    For whatever reason at times CRC will ship things via DHL even if you select the free shipping option. I got burned by this one time so now I add a note (there is an option to do this when you checkout) asking them not to use DHL. It has not been a problem since.

If you refuse to pay DHL they will return the order to CRC. You do realize that even if the stuff comes via the post office you may still have to pay tax/duty/service charge although probably not as much as with DHL?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You didn't answer the question about if it is duty or brokerage fee.
    If it is actually duty, you may be able to have it re-assessed or challenge it. Can't say for the US but for Canada, bicycle parts are duty free but bicycles are 18% duty.
    I had one package that was incorrectly marked as a bicycle and was hit with the duty. I've never had duty added to any other package - just taxes and fees.
    UPS is famous for charging zero for duty and $60 for brokerage fees, not sure if that is what has happened to you with DHL.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It's all in how the package was declared. If there was a mistake in the declaration the duty could be higher than should be, like slash5 said. You do realize we're legally obligated to pay duty on stuff we are importing, right? It doesn't always get caught but occasionally it happens.

As far as using DHL, sometimes it is cheaper for them to go that route vs royal mail depending on the item.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Man View Post
    I just recieved my order and DSL is billing me with a $71.00 (20%) customs duty charge. Has anyone incountered that recenly?

I emailed CRC but they are not responding.

Not sure what to do.

Mojo
    I don't know where you are from, I guess US. So I can't give you an exact answer but usually the courier company contacts you asking if you want them to do all the duty paper work for you, for a fee, or you do it yourself.

Either way, depending on you law you'll have to pay customs or not.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It definitely is a duty fee, 20% of the order. The invoice indcates Diadora ptrtorl 2 mtn shoes. If it was labled bike parts I wouldn't have been charged and duty?

I'm just confused because I've been ordering parts fron CRC for a couple of years and never ever got charged a duty fee.

The last item was a set of cranks that came by DHL and no duty fee was charged.

Can I challage DHL and tell them they are bike parts?

Mojo

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just had a quick look at Calculate your import duty in a few quick steps for free | DutyCalculator
    It looks like the duty on shoes into the US is 20%.
    However, under classification "Sport | Sports shoes with Spikes or Studs", it's 0%.
    If you can get them re-classified, you'd be golden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Just had a quick look at Calculate your import duty in a few quick steps for free | DutyCalculator
    It looks like the duty on shoes into the US is 20%.
    However, under classification "Sport | Sports shoes with Spikes or Studs", it's 0%.
    If you can get them re-classified, you'd be golden.

Thanks very much for taking the time to find that out, I will e mail them

mojo

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Never had anything like that happen to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    When I buy from the UK, I stipulate no shipping via DHL.
    I'm in Australia.
    When I buy from the USA, I stipulate no UPS.
    I think you'll actually find its just an admin fee that they chuck on to fleece you.
    I heard its been legally contested and won in Australia but havnt seen for myself.
    I just wont use those companies for anything ever after once getting an add on bill from DHL. Now I ask before I buy and if USPS isnt available I dont buy.

b a n n e d
    So what happened? Did you get the shoes reclassified? I want to order shoes from them . . . but won't if its a hassle.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!