mtbr member

Chain reaction cycles...great prices, but??

Just found about chainreactioncycles the prices are much lower on most items..good news, but this web site is located in the UK never bought from across the pond. Has anybody bought from this wb site???which shipping is used?? Parcel force International or UPS express saver?? the ups express saver cost much more?? How long does is take to reach your door??

TR
    Angry bunny
    Buy from them to Australia all the time.
    Standard shipping takes about 5 days to here so should be even quicker to you if you are in the US.
    Free shipping depending on your order size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I buy from them, as well. Have them shipped to my bro in CA. Just choose the Parcelforce free shipping. USPS takes over when it arrives in the US. CRC is located in Ireland and it usually takes 4-5 days for it to get delivered in CA.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ordered some custom wheels and they were at my door in a week.

Ballstein Models
    I live in Wisconsin and I have often received items from CRC faster than items ordered from any of the California/Oregon bike websites. Once the CRC item hits the US it travels as Express Mail. Just be sure to use PayPal rather than a CC. There are lots of reports of compromised CC numbers due to questionable security practices on the UK end. I have never had a problem using PayPal.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

problem was not CRC

It was a major UK card processor.
    That along with Nashbar issues, I now only buy with Paypal plug-in

Ballstein Models
    Quote Originally Posted by tsull247
    It was a major UK card processor.
    I was not implicating CRC. Just warning of the known problems with the UK CC system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Any customs charges? I had bought some Sidi shoes from Italy once and I had to pay customs (shipped to US.)

mtbr member
    no custom charges. faster and better service than most usa based retailers. i get stuff from crc faster than from universal cycles or treefort bikes.

Ballstein Models
    None over 5 orders.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    no custom charges. faster and better service than most usa based retailers. i get stuff from crc faster than from universal cycles or treefort bikes.
    Hey, take it easy on Treefort

CRC is fast, reliable, and you will very likely survive your order with little to no fees. As others have mentioned, PayPal is a good idea.

I <3 Dirt
    I had no problems with my wheelset order. Incredibly low price, shipped fast, no tax, and the package arrived in great shape.

Ballstein Models
    Here is a screenshot of a recent order to demonstrate how fast thing arrive from CRC. The parcel will be delivered today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Training for vacation
    +1 my experience. PP only. Faster shipping to me in the states than other Cali based stores even with the free ship option. I find the US webstores sit on the order for a few days before shipping. You may risk a customs hold though...

mtbr member
    7 orders now with CRC, the last one ordered on a wednesday and arrived in Minnesota exactly one week later to the day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

CRC steep discount ..sometimes..

Lucked out on CRC few weeks back , got a set of 2009 Mavic Crosstrail UST wheels for $210 pounds .. works out at slightly over $330 USD with FREE shipping by Parcel force , from Scottland to Eastcost here , got it in 3 days flat !!!

Pricepoint was selling the exact same set for 479.99 ! + shipping !! Unfortunately , soon after my order was filled , CRC corrected the discount from 40% off to 10% off MSRP ..bum!

mtbr member
    I've ordered from them in the past, fast shipping and no problems. Just use PayPal to pay for your order.
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

mtbr member
    I once ordered a few components from them, enough to justify the shipping. When they determined they couldn't source one item from my order, they shipped the remainder and charged me the whole shipping amount. I was peeved that they didn't ask me what I wanted to do. If they were going to backorder an item and ship it later, that would have been fine but they essentially changed my order without consulting me. The email back and forth about the issue was extremely unsatisfying so I won't be shopping there again. YMMV.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Has anyone in Canada used Chain Reaction? DO you get hit with brokerage and duty? Do they run anythin glike JensonUSA does where they can up front bill you for brokerage and duty - ie. give you an at the door price?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Yes - I am from Canada. You will get nailed for brokerage+tax. (I love the setup at JensonUSA by contrast.)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    Has anyone in Canada used Chain Reaction? DO you get hit with brokerage and duty? Do they run anythin glike JensonUSA does where they can up front bill you for brokerage and duty - ie. give you an at the door price?

Cheers
    I've found it to be random. Most times no, but it's GST plus $8 which is fine since I can get a whole wheel for less than the hub costs in Canada.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Originally Posted by XC23

Cheers
    Ordered many times. Fast shipping and great prices. You should not have to pay any duties. They ship UKpost which translates to Canada Post. For some reason there is a 5-8 dollar fee. It was labeled a handling fee. Once I ordered some XTR rear Derailleurs. Which were in a small box 10" square labeled bike. I was charged 13% duty but Canada Customs refunded thecash once they saw a bike could not fit in the box. Remember its 13% duties for a full bike. 6.5% for tyers and 6.1% for a built wheel. All parts are duty free.