mtbr member

Carbon Marin CXR Team XTR Mountain Bike $1,899.94

Marin Cxr Team Xtr '10 Mountain Bike @ Sun and Ski Sports

Marin CXR Team XTR Mountain Bike
    List Price: $5,799.99
    Sale Price: $1,899.94
    Stock Status: In Stock
    Availability: Ship-to-Home OR Ship-to-Store

Whether you'll be racing XC or just want to ride one of the nicest hardtail mountain bikes made today, the CXR hardtail will suit your needs. Marin's 2010 Team CXR XTR is a zero-compromise, no-holds-barred, full-tilt race machine that can handle its own on epic trail rides as well. The frame is full carbon monocoque with an oversized downtube and internal cable routing. This gives you the stiffest platform from which to launch your attack for trail supremacy. Suspension is handled by one of the lightest forks out there, the 100mm SID World Cup with carbon power bulges and Black Box Motion Control. The lightweight parts continue with quick Mavic rims, silky DT Swiss 240S hubs and versatile Maxxis tires. And it keeps getting better with an Easton carbon bar, Thomson Elite stem and post as well as a WTB saddle. With such a dialed spec, would you expect anything less than a full XTR group including cranks and brakes? We didn't think so. Awesome race bike for the price!!! Parts alone would equal the cost of the whole bike!

Features
    Full CXR 7 Carbon Monocoque frame, Oversized Downtube, Disc Specific
    RockShox SID World Cup with Carbon Power Bulges, 100mm
    DT 240S Wheels, 32 Hole Disc with Centerlock
    Shimano XTR Group
    WTB Devo Team with Love Channel and Comfort Zone
    Thomson Elite Seatpost and Stem
    Easton Monkey Lite XC Handlebars
    XC Race Excellence!

mtbr member
    Frame: Full CXR 7 Carbon Monocoque, Oversized Downtube, Disc Specific
    Front Suspension: RockShox SID World Cup with Carbon Power Bulges, 100mm with Dual Air Preload Adjustment, Rebound Adjustment and Black Box Motion Control, Pushlock Remote Lockout
    Rear Suspension: n/a
    Shift Lever: Shimano XTR, 2 Way and Instant Multi Release, 9 Speed
    Derailleur Front: Shimano XTR
    Derailleur Rear: Shimano Shadow XTR
    Brakes Front: Shimano XTR Hydraulic Disc
    Brakes Rear: Shimano XTR Hydraulic Disc
    Brake Levers: Shimano XTR Hydraulic Disc
    Pedals: None
    Crankset: Shimano XTR, 44/32/22 with HollowTech II Arms
    Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR Big Pipe Billet Integrated with Crankset
    Chain: Shimano XTR
    Cassette: Shimano XTR, 11-34, 9 Speed
    Hub Rear: DT 240S, 32 Hole Disc with Centerlock
    Hub Front: DT 240S, 32 Hole Disc with Centerlock
    Rims: Mavic XC-717, 32 Hole Disc
    Spokes Nipples: DT Super Comp 14/16.5/15 Butted, Black Stainless with Alloy Nipples
    Tires: Maxxis Ignitor, 26 X 2.1 Kevlar Bead
    Saddle: WTB Devo Team with Love Channel and Comfort Zone
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite, 30.9mm X 400mm
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 Threadless with, 31.8mm Bar Clamp
    Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite XC, UD Carbon, OS-31.8mm, Low Rise
    Grips: Marin Locking with Open End
    Headset: FSA Orbit Z Cartridge, 1 1/8, Threadless Internal

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    if this was 10 speed great deal, at 9 speed its still a great deal if you would like to ride it.

mtbr member

9 - to - 10 conversion is easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Carbon Marin CXR Team XTR Mountain Bike $1,899.94

Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    9 - to - 10 conversion is easy.
    It's very expensive though. You need to buy xtr cassette, and shifter at the minimum, quite a chunk of change right there.

Too bad these don't come with the redesigned 2012 xt brakes.

I wonder if this bike would be cheaper than the Chinese carbon frame build with the same components. Except 1x9 or 10. Don't think you could build this bike for less. Seems to be a smoking deal

mtbr member

Nothing says converting from 9 to 10 speeds on that bike or any other bike, must be done with XTR components.
    It could be very affordable with on sale comps like XT and also sram components.

mtbr member

My conversion from 8 - 10 was very affordable with on sale XT components.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Good job!

t

My conversion from 8 - 10 was very affordable with on sale XT components.
    Affrdable needa to be put into context. I would buy this bike in a heartbeat for jus the components if it were 10 speed. 1200 for xtr plus wheels and frame and thomson stuff is a no brainer can part it out and make ez cash. But the 9 speed stufff is great to use just doesnt have much resell. Cassette +shifters chain and rear deraileur are well over 700 new onsale. Xt is fine and dandy but going from xtr 9 to xt 10 is a step down.

Warrior's Society
    9 spd and little wheels......no thanks.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post
    t

Affrdable needa to be put into context. I would buy this bike in a heartbeat for jus the components if it were 10 speed. 1200 for xtr plus wheels and frame and thomson stuff is a no brainer can part it out and make ez cash. But the 9 speed stufff is great to use just doesnt have much resell. Cassette +shifters chain and rear deraileur are well over 700 new onsale. Xt is fine and dandy but going from xtr 9 to xt 10 is a step down.
    On my kit I didn't spend much, at pricepoint and jensonusa mostly, close to these numbers:
    XT Chain $25
    XT Cassette $100
    XT 3x10 Crank Set $100
    XT Front Derraillure $25
    XT Rear Derraillure $45
    XT Shifter Set (Pair) $165
    = < $500

I was converting from an 8 speed so I had to change my Rear Derraillure, and an additional shifter, etc... but in the kit above that's not necessary.

If you mixed compatible X7-X9 SRAM type parts withthe existing XTR parts you could save a lot more and still have a dynamite 10 speed setup.

For $200-300 this bike could easily be switched to 10 speed XT or sram components (on sale prices).

mtbr member
    If you are not fast with a full carbon, full xtr race bike, going from 9 to 10 speed wont make you fast either

Great deal for that bike. 20.5 frame size is too big for me though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

You could compromise the tier quality if this bike by downgrading to xt and 10 speed, and it will only cost you a few hundred dollars

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    You could compromise the tier quality if this bike by downgrading to xt and 10 speed, and it will only cost you a few hundred dollars
    I think you were trying to be funny, but it didn't work.
    I don't know if you intended to, but that kind of hurts my feelings. lol

I was suggesting those options as answer to the question of an affordable and realistic way to swap to 10 speed for anyone hell-bent against 9 speeds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    On my kit I didn't spend much, at pricepoint and jensonusa mostly, close to these numbers:
    XT Chain $25
    XT Cassette $100
    XT 3x10 Crank Set $100
    XT Front Derraillure $25
    XT Rear Derraillure $45
    XT Shifter Set (Pair) $165
    = < $500

I was converting from an 8 speed so I had to change my Rear Derraillure, and an additional shifter, etc... but in the kit above that's not necessary.

If you mixed compatible X7-X9 SRAM type parts withthe existing XTR parts you could save a lot more and still have a dynamite 10 speed setup.

For $200-300 this bike could easily be switched to 10 speed XT or sram components (on sale prices).

apparently you did not read my post... I said minimum of $700 for xtr not xt. XT does not euqal xtr.

As i said the prie is good if the bike works for you, otherwise for parts etc its not that good of a buy, no reason to ugprade to 10 speed really on this bike

mtbr member
    I did read your post, but I guess some people can never be pleased.

I was replying with a helpful information about how to achieve some of the goals and concerns posted, esp. including affordable options.

No one wants to buy any bike and spend a fortune replacing parts for little gain.
    The XTR vs XT parts argument isn't even appropriate in this forum or thread.
    This is a sale price bike in a budget sale price forum and therefore I recommended price-conscious suggestions to the questions and concerns expressed above on bike being 9 speeds and some people preferring 10 speeds.

If you think this is a bad deal, then that would be appropriate feedback for this forum thread.

Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post
    apparently you did not read my post... I said minimum of $700 for xtr not xt. XT does not euqal xtr.

As i said the priec is good if the bike works for you, otherwise for parts etc its not that good of a buy, no reason to ugprade to 10 speed really on this bike

mtbr member
    well.................well
    Try to do something nice, and you get a bunch of naysayers poking me in the eye. I guess they have nothing better to do than inflict their opinions on the masses, with no regard to actually being helpful.

This is not the forum thread for discussions and battles of opinions about detailed parts intricacies.
    This is meant to be a nice place to share links to great deals.
    If your here for anything else, then save your time and post on the regular discussion forum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Like I said, a smoking deal. Just leave it 3x9 though

mtbr member
    This is not the forum thread for discussions and battles of opinions about detailed parts intricacies.
    Agree. Seems like a great deal even if not for everyone. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    well.................well
    Try to do something nice, and you get a bunch of naysayers poking me in the eye. I guess they have nothing better to do than inflict their opinions on the masses, with no regard to actually being helpful.

If your here for anything else, then save your time and post on the regular discussion forum.
    I agree its a place to share links to deals, and I appreciate you posting this. But I don't think its necessary, or helpful, to zealously defend your opinion of the deal in response to relatively benign, accurate and helpful observations. I'm not trying to beat up on you; just suggesting that you may have taken a more negative interpretation of these comments than the posters intended.

I found Shoal's comments to be a simple observation that this deal was less attractive as a 9-speed group than a 10-speed, and an accurate comment that upgrading to 10-speed, AND maintaining the same quality of components, would be expensive. That's hardly "detailed parts intricacies." And it was helpful . . . I didn't initially notice it was 9-speed.

I do have one difference of opinion from Shoals. The 9-sp XTR shifters and cassettes still bring top dollar on eBay. I recently sold new XTR 9-sp shifters for more than I paid for new XTR 10-sp shifters. But certainly the brakes have lost much of their resale because the new models are so freaking superior in every way.

I also have question for schristie11 . . . where did you find a 3x10 XT crankset for $100? I suspect you may have interchanged the shifter and crank prices??

Lastly, my opinion of this deal: great bike if you're 6' tall and in the market for a 26" carbon hardtail. But as the price reflects, there are fewer and fewer people in that position.
    If you're after only a piece of the bike, you won't get rich parting it out. I don't think the frame would bring more than $300-400. I think you'd be lucky to clear a couple hundred bucks once you pay eBay fees. I'm half tempted to do so, just to get some 240s hubs cheap, but I don't want to spend the time.

If it were an epic deal, one of us here would have already bought it and stripped it for resale!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    intertiaman, you are correct, I almost jumped on it and if it was 10 speed I would have just to part it out and use what I wanted. If you can ride this bike and want it its a fantastic deal. I appreciate the OP for posting.