Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Carbon HT for $500!?

So, I was recently a participant in a road bike group buy at Pedal Force and as I was going back to the web site to finalize my purchase, I discovered it is offering a Carbon Hardtail for $500 as a group buy prior to its official release (like the other group buy)! The frame will increase to $850 after the group buy passes, which is Feb. 14th! The GB needs 50 people for it to go through.

Oh, Link to PF site is HERE

This appears to be the same frame that Fuji is offering as its Team Issue MTB for $2000!

***Disclaimer- I have only a passing interest to see if this goes through. I'm considering joining this group buy but have not committed yet. It'd be cool to see this work out, like the road GB did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Do you have information on the group buy? I'd be interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Follow the link to the Pedal Force site- HERE, then there's a grey tab that says "Group Buy".

In that section, towards the bottom, there is an area where you can join the 50+ group buy for the $500. I haven't done this yet, but it looks like you'll have to input your contact info. According to the copy on the site, payment won't be necessary until the GB goes through.

flow where ever you go
    Nice looking frame. I like the naked one better than the Team Fuji. I haven't seen a carbon frame price this low in some months. 5 year warranty too! I wonder where it's built, Taiwan or China?

Doesn't look likely that there will be enough for a group buy. I imagine you need 100 signed up before you can bet that the needed 50 will follow through and pay up in February. But who knows.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, surprisingly, we were able to get the necessary 100 for road bike buy. This was with some people buying two, but most buying one. Of course, some have sold thier spots to others since the group buy has been completed, but that's usually due to unforseen circumstances.

I need to be a last minute decision on my purchase though. I may be racing for a local store and should buy one of its bikes if I do. Although, a nice CF race frame is VERY tempting...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    From their "About us" section: Pedal Force carbon bicycle frames and parts are made by a group of companies in Taiwan who are major Original Equipment Manufacturers of carbon bike components and sports equipment. These are the same manufacturers that produce some of the most high-end products for many well known brand names. We are a USA company selling direct to customers worldwide.

Question for me is, how reliable are these guys, not so much their product, although that is also a concern, but as an online retailer.

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by darkclouds

Question for me is, how reliable are these guys, not so much their product, although that is also a concern, but as an online retailer.
    I don't know this either. One limited test is to email or call them with questions and judge the quality of the response. Concerning other carbon makers, I know people are happy with Ibis in this regard. Also, over the weekend, I emailed Token with a problem I have with a Token product and Token emailed me back very first thing Monday morning, with a complete and fair solution.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkclouds
    Why not just go on the Roadbikereview.com forums and ask those guys how the Pedal Force roadie group buy they did worked out? IIRC, they seemed pretty content. I seem to recall something about them getting good deals on parts kits too...
    Chimay: nectar of the gods
    Macallan: sweet ambrosia

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, road bike GP actually started on bikeforums.net and I was one of the original organizers of that one. We are still awaiting our frames/purchases from that buy (3 months to ship after it was completed). But everything went smoothly and PF is very responsive and helpful with regards to any changes of spots and questions that people had during the buy.

As far as a company, you can go over to the road section of bikeforums.net and do a search for Pedal Force. It gets good reviews from the people who have purchased from it. Additionally, Cycling Plus, from the UK, often recommends its frame over many others, including a Trek, I think it was the 5200.

However, this the first time PF has offered a mountain bike. Like I've said, I want to do this. I just need to worry about my finances... and my other purchases are depleating my bike funds for the year already. Maybe I can avoid an over night race I'm supposed to go to...

mtbr member
    I just signed up. I will buy one even at the regular price.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war!

I am the law
    May 2006
    Count me in..I'm #24 26 to go

wandering lost
    Nov 2006
    Now up to 37.... Getting pretty darned close!

Nice pic on the site now of a real 17" frame hanging on a scale weighing only 2.55 lbs (under 1160g - so lighter than the S-Works carbon HT).

At some point the economics of it all will make it better for some people to buy two frames and count on selling the second for $500 or so later. After a big batch is delivered and people have built them all up with bling, ridden them in races, and posted them on various websites, the demand will surely rise. And if the PedalForce "regular" price is $850, it shouldn't be hard to find a buyer for one at $500 (or possibly more...).

Freshly Fujified

Wait a minute....

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Lover
    Yeah, road bike GP actually started on bikeforums.net and I was one of the original organizers of that one. We are still awaiting our frames/purchases from that buy (3 months to ship after it was completed). But everything went smoothly and PF is very responsive and helpful with regards to any changes of spots and questions that people had during the buy. .
    Your deal isn't even CLOSE to being done. How can you claim everything went smoothly?? Frames aren't even in hand, so you have no clue as to what the quality truly is, and for that matter whether they are even going to deliver the frames. I'm a huge proponent of buying direct/online and I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I truly hope these guys you're dealing with are legit, but please don't give people the impression that everything went smoothly when that isn't the case.......yet. Give people the thumbs up once the deal is complete, and that means that your frames are in hand and they are exactly what you ordered, not "They have my money and promised me a frame in 3 months". Big difference.

Just a dose of reality.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Very true, it's not done. This is why I included that portion in my other statement. What is clearly understood in the original is: so far.

However, several people do own the RS road frame already, as well as others from PF, and have given them very positive reviews. PF is not a new company. It has been around for a while and was receiving positive reviews. For those who have already ordered the parts for the build, they have received these parts already and, yes, are still awaiting the frame.

PF exceeded our expectations with setting up the group buy and the ordering process. We were keeping a running tally of all people interested and we had 28 "certain", 9 "possible", and 5 "unlikely". It set up a web page and took over the registration and was able to take deposits when we were still just trying to figure out how this was actually going to work. It even offered it's discount pricing on components and fork, when we were just looking at the frame.

One can certainly hop over to bikeforums.net and do a search in the road section for PF and see the reviews for yourself. Additionally, one can read reviews of at least one of its road bikes at Cycling Plus, a British mag. I was actually surprised when I was looking at C+ in the book store and a person writing in for advice it was suggested to get a PF over a Trek (5200?).

Anyway, I'm not in anyway connected with them, but I do know it has been around for a while and many people are happy with thier bikes, including warranty. I expect nothing less.

Freshly Fujified

Thanks for clarifying

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Lover
    Very true, it's not done. This is why I included that portion in my other statement. What is clearly understood in the original is: so far.

However, several people do own the RS road frame already, as well as others from PF, and have given them very positive reviews. PF is not a new company. It has been around for a while and was receiving positive reviews. For those who have already ordered the parts for the build, they have received these parts already and, yes, are still awaiting the frame.

PF exceeded our expectations with setting up the group buy and the ordering process. We were keeping a running tally of all people interested and we had 28 "certain", 9 "possible", and 5 "unlikely". It set up a web page and took over the registration and was able to take deposits when we were still just trying to figure out how this was actually going to work. It even offered it's discount pricing on components and fork, when we were just looking at the frame.

One can certainly hop over to bikeforums.net and do a search in the road section for PF and see the reviews for yourself. Additionally, one can read reviews of at least one of its road bikes at Cycling Plus, a British mag. I was actually surprised when I was looking at C+ in the book store and a person writing in for advice it was suggested to get a PF over a Trek (5200?).

Anyway, I'm not in anyway connected with them, but I do know it has been around for a while and many people are happy with thier bikes, including warranty. I expect nothing less.
    So it sounds like folks on bikeforums.net have experience with this company and it's been positive. That's a great sign. Given the additional information provided, my skepticism is a bit less. I also understand what freely promoting a decent company is all about. I do it often on mtbr. How else can we find out about quality vendors unless people without a vested interest give their testimonials?

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    At first it looked like the same frame as the fuji one, but if you look @ the upper-right hand parts of the frame, the fuji one is a bit
    longer/bigger.

Some slight differences, does it matter?

P.S.

Carbon frames are hawt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You're right. The Fuji seems to have a larger head tube area. I would still bet they're produced in the same factory though. I know the RS, road frame, has the similar seat stay to top tube transition and is made by ADK. Our first attempt at a group buy was to contact them directly but we figured, given the warranty and the benefit of not having to figure out the shippng logistics, both to the states and then to the buyers, we went through PF (some of the discussion of how we were going to make the GB work).

Of course, that doesn't answer your question as to what the difference would be, mostly because I am unsure. I would think the larger area of the Fuji may result in greater torsional rigidity, but I'm not sure...

To me, it doesn't matter and, like I said, if I hadn't just bought my race bike through the LBS that's supporting me, I'd be all over this. YMMV.

CMC- To me the only disappointing thing about the MTB group buy is PF doesn't have build kits available for it. PF's road kits are listed great prices.

Yet, I'm still tempted...

wandering lost
    Nov 2006

Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by MrKalentine
    At first it looked like the same frame as the fuji one, but if you look @ the upper-right hand parts of the frame, the fuji one is a bit
    longer/bigger.
    I did a bit more closer investigation, and although the head tube lengths appear to be different in the pictures, we are simply probably looking at different sizes of frames. If you investigate the Fuji frame geometry and compare it to the PedalForce frame geometry, you'll find them to essentially be IDENTICAL (though Pedal Force rounded to the nearest millimeter, and Fuji quotes down to 0.1 mm). For all intents and purposes, the PF frame IS a Fuji frame, at least from a geometry standpoint.

And from speaking with my brother (who actually is a materials and R&D engineer and well-versed in carbon fiber and other fabrication methods/materials), there is no obvious reason to suspect that anything else about the frames (i.e. construction method, material, and quality) would differ between the two.

There is no way to know with 100% certainty, of course, but his considered opinion is that if you buy a PF frame for $500, you are getting an essentially identical frame to the $2000 Fuji frame, less a few unnecessary decals.

Good luck with the group buy - looks pretty tempting!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just signed up. We're at 40 now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Does anyone know of other reviews for this frame?

I only found this one at http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Freeride...t_128606.shtml

"everything basically
    geometry sucks so does all the components and parts
    dont buy this unless yur an idiot"

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    OK, I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger, but have one more questions:

For the road frame group buy, what was the length of time between GB deadline and customer receipt of frame?

mtbr member
    My only comment to your question is--refer to the entire thread and read others comments of this negative one. One overall comment to anyone who is on the fence and unsure of this frame--yes this specific frame has not been on the trails for extended reviews. If it has it would be considerably more than $500. If the lack of widespread/review and the fact it only cost only $500.00 concerns you then go for the sure thing and spend $2000. Maybe 50 of us will be proven wrong--maybe the first 50 guys that bought 1965 mustang fastbacks were wrong. I paid considerably more for my 1965 mustang a few years ago than the new price. Maybe not a good example for my point; see my profile picture, but what the heck

mtbr member

New question here.

I think the road frame information you are looking for is over at weight weenies--I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the tip on Weight Weenies. To save others from long search:

Road frame GB ended mid-November and frames were received at end of January. So, approximately 2.5 months from payment until delivery.

This seems to match the May 2007 ETA for MTB frame GB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Let's just pretend for one minute, that the review is an actual review. First, there is no data or reasoning as to why it "sucks". Second, the review states all the parts suck too. Now, many have a beef against Shimano, but few actually say they suck unless totally entrenched in the SRAM family.

Now, why I don't think it was a real review: The person said he was riding it for 2 years. This is a link to the '05 Fuji team: http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=40 and this is a link to the '06 Fuji team: http://www.fujibikes.com/2006/bikes.asp?id=160. Neither of these bikes are the same as the new carbon frame. Additionally, if someone actually has a really bad experience, it a) wouldn't take two years to post and b) would put details as to why.

Oh, for the record, the road buy is still awaiting the framesets. The components that people have ordered have been delivered. See my responses 15 and 17 for some details on the road GB. We actually expect the bikes to be in early March, since the remainder of the money isn't even due until March 1. For more information check out this thread from bikeforums.net: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=235874. It's the sticky for the GB in the road section. The last page actually contains a pic of the RS (the GB bike frame) and some comments on it.

Bah, it looks like I'm salesman for this GB, and I'm not. I'd like to see it go through as PF has a good rep. on the road forums, the only bikes it carried until now and it's a heck of deal that is just so tempting to me. For those that are in it, I wish you luck but since I'm most likely not going to partake, I'm going to stop posting...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast