mtbr member

CamelBak's Podium Water Bottle - 21 oz - 4$

@ JensonUSA

Not a HUGE deal but a nice one if you're already going to order from Jenson.

It's limited for 4 units of each color...(you can find it for 5 USD on other places).
    Specialized - SJ Marathon 29" (2010) ||| KHS - Solo One 29" (2007) ||| KHS - Alite 3000 (2000) ||| Kona Kula Supreme (2008)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've had this bottle for a few weeks and the spout has been growing mold, even if I clean it religiously with dishwashing soap after using it. Immersing in boiling water or vinegar doesn't help. You can really get rid of the mold by taking it apart, but it's a real hassle to disassemble the spout.

Few online reviews have pointed out this flaw, but maybe I've just had bad luck with mold. It smells the same as the the stuff that grows in high-efficiency (front-loading) clothes washers. Sorry to crap on the thread, though it is a good deal if you don't get mold.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I got one from a friend, doesn't seem to grow mold (and my GF has a biology doctorate, she is the biggest germophobe/moldophobe that exists). I don't do anything special, and I only put water in it. In fact, I am actually pretty bad at leaving water in it for weeks; no mold.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    I got one from a friend, doesn't seem to grow mold (and my GF has a biology doctorate, she is the biggest germophobe/moldophobe that exists). I don't do anything special, and I only put water in it. In fact, I am actually pretty bad at leaving water in it for weeks; no mold.
    I've got 4 of these since shortly after they came out which is well over a year. None of them have a mold growing problem.

mtbr member
    Same here, no mold. Been using 3 bottles for the last 3 months plus. It might be that they are stored in a A/C room and its dryer than hell in Socal's inland valleys.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 5b00
    I've had this bottle for a few weeks and the spout has been growing mold, even if I clean it religiously with dishwashing soap after using it. Immersing in boiling water or vinegar doesn't help. You can really get rid of the mold by taking it apart, but it's a real hassle to disassemble the spout.

Few online reviews have pointed out this flaw, but maybe I've just had bad luck with mold. It smells the same as the the stuff that grows in high-efficiency (front-loading) clothes washers. Sorry to crap on the thread, though it is a good deal if you don't get mold.
    Mine grew mold in a month or so, too. Only used water in it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

AZ
    banned
    No mold in any (6) of mine , made me look though .

scared to post
    been using mine for 3 months, no mold.

tl1
    Bicyclist

I'd take it back or call Camelbak

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Mine grew mold in a month or so, too. Only used water in it.
    Since so many people have ones that don't grow mold it's probably a materials problem. I'm in humid Michigan btw, not a 10% humidity South Western desert area.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    Since so many people have ones that don't grow mold it's probably a materials problem. I'm in humid Michigan btw, not a 10% humidity South Western desert area.
    Bought it on a lark, and tossed it just as quick. I have dozens of Specialized Big Mouth bottles, which remain the best bottle available, overall. Have not needed to buy any of them, either.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Disgruntled Peccary
    No mold here, and I like them much better than the Speccy bottles.. which were previously my fave... if you're having issues with funk in them try soaking the tops in denture cleaner once every couple weeks or so, or better still wash them in the dishwasher, they are dishwasher proof (cept the insulated bottles themselves.. but ALL the tops are).

And I do use mine with sugar filled, home made electrolyte and koolaid goodness.
    mike

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I wonder if it's a source of water problem? In Whistler, our water is largely unmodified water; the source is very clean (and cold!). In Windsor, our water is all reverse osmosis cleaned (IIRC); it's less tainted than even the cleanest bottled water (from the source, not sure about my tap).

Maybe the mold growing is just a function of certain combinations of minerals or chemicals added to desalinate or clean the water.

Its got what plants crave
    Mold is nutritious.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org