Camelbak Charge LR $55 shipped

Camelbak Charge LR, in Peat (gray) and Skydiver (sky blue) - $55
    70 oz Lumbar reservoir

Link: CamelBak Charge LR 70 oz. Peat - 6pm.com

Research (reviews):

CamelBak Charge LR Hydration Pack Review - BikeRadar

Best Mountain Bike Hydration Packs 2012 | Bicycling Magazine

Camelbak Charge LR - keeping it low.

6pm and sales tax info (link). Price match with your favorite retailer, if you want--JensonUSA approved a price match for me.

My thoughts:

This is near wholesale cost. You won't really find it cheaper.

I don't feel bad that I only kept my Osprey Raptor 14 for less than 2 years, replacing it with this--it's clearly better IMO. Lighter and situates the weight load better, no excessively long straps streaming in the air to be dealt with everywhere, nice zipped wing/waistband pockets, and nice organization. The main pocket doesn't have that "abyss" in the bottom of it that swallows loose stuff, where you must blindly fish for items by feel. The storage is very usable; there's even a little pouch in the reservoir area. The biggest downside of my Raptor 14 was its weight when loaded--my longer rides got cut short due to saddle sore and I believe a lighter pack would've surely helped, and I'm hoping I don't feel as much need to take my pack off when catching air with this.

I haven't used Camelbak since year ago, not really that happy due to sweaty backs and leaks from the bite valve, but I really think they stepped up their game. I liked my Deuter's suspension back and the Osprey for overall quality and that magnetic bite valve stow clip, but this seemingly deserves its praise. I can highly recommend it, esp at this price, and I have to admit that its looks are easy on the eyes.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 01-13-2013 at 10:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks for the heads up on the deal

More Torque
    Awesome....thanks!

mtbr member
    Great deal, been looking at getting one of these. Thanks!

Ahhh the pain....
    Totally agree with the OP. I had a Osprey Talon 22 that I bought for bikepacking...pretty much considered the bikepackers "standard". THen I caught a deal on a Camelbak Octane 24 on Chainlove for like $40 with a bladder. Weight of it (w/o bladder) was 16 oz compared to nearly 2 lbs with the Osprey. Although the Camelbak doesn't have the rigid structure of the Osprey, it does have the big hip belt with pouches as the one shown above. That keeps the weight on the hips as opposed to the shoulders.
    I think Osprey makes a high quality product, but for the weight conscious, I think Camelbak has the better solution. I've also learned the hard way that excessive weight on your back causes saddle sores but also increased fatigue on long, multiday rides.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/