We get titles?

Camelback GMI M.U.L.E. $29.99

Edit - see link in second post for $29.99 price - I think the proce is only good for the weekend.

I guess this is the military version of the mule; I've read people discussing the differences here, maybe somebody can chime in and enlighten us. I'm sorry to say it was $29.99 yesterday, but I think this is a killer deal even at $39, expecially since these aren't usually available to the public, as far as I can tell.
    Cabelas - they have the desert camo and the woodland camo
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
    When your adventure calls for a streamlined hydration pack that will keep you comfortably on the move, you need Camelbak's; versatile M.U.L.E. The large 100-oz. Omega™ Water Beast™ reservoir is tucked inside a rugged 1,000-denier Cordura® nylon shell. The easy-to-reach drink tube is neoprene insulated to keep drinks cold or warm and is equipped with the HydroLink™ Big Bite™ Valve cover. The integrated mil.-spec. MOLLE/PAL attachment system and spacious pockets keep field essentials easily organized and readily accessible. All zippers are noiseless, so they won't spook wary game. Waist belt provides extra stability but can be removed and easily stowed. The padded Floating Shoulder Harness and adjustable sternum strap snug securely for a custom, non-slip fit. An Air Director back panel increases ventilation.
    Dimensions: 19" x 10" x 5". 540 cubic inches of cargo space.
    Camo patterns: Desert Camo, Woodland Camo.
    Last edited by upNdown; 11-29-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: better price
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Using this link it was $29.99 for me.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cm_ite=Primary

I wouldn't expect these to last long at this price.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I dont know...this looks totally differentthan my MULE. The pockets on the front are smaller. Looks like it does not have the main compartment at all - basically just the water res space and 2 small pockets. Also the water tube is insulated, so its more of a winter pack. The price is no doubt great, but it isn't as functional as the 'regular' MULE IMO.

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip
    I dont know...this looks totally differentthan my MULE. The pockets on the front are smaller. Looks like it does not have the main compartment at all - basically just the water res space and 2 small pockets. Also the water tube is insulated, so its more of a winter pack. The price is no doubt great, but it isn't as functional as the 'regular' MULE IMO.
    Yup, I have a regular MULE, and this doesn't look like it holds as much. But considering a standard 100oz bladder will cost $20-$30, this is a steal. And I think this is a different kind of bladder too. Again, hopefully somebody with experience with these military models will chime in and elucidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The look is a bit different then the regular MULE. I notice both have the same cargo capacity (540 cu Inches). For me the insulated tube will be nice in the summer. The price is about what you would pay for a new bladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip
    TEX

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a green camo Camelbak, a little bit different than this one. The bladder and drinking tube are black and the bite valve is different than the other Camelbaks. As for the pack itself, I did'nt like it, does'nt seem to carry as much "cargo" as the regular one, not as orginized. My .02 cents.
    Oldest daughter doesn't ride, she fights MMA.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Definitely NOT the MULE, but if it suits your purpose and fits your budget, hey.

Interlectchewal

Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bends But Doesn't Break
    Definitely NOT the MULE, but if it suits your purpose and fits your budget, hey.
    It definitely is the M.U.L.E. It's the military version of the M.U.L.E., which was pointed out in the original post.

herbivore
    May 2006
    I ride with a camelbak mule, has anyone figured out a good way to put external mp3 speakers on a CB?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wildharejac
    I ride with a camelbak mule, has anyone figured out a good way to put external mp3 speakers on a CB?
    External?? Why would you want to do that? Dont have enough weight on your back already?

WTF
    def the mil. version, my buddy who is military has one
    Dont wait, procrastinate now!

herbivore
    May 2006
    looking for small speakers....and there are safety concerns around here. It is best not to have ear buds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

MULE M.I. circa '03

Let me try and "elucidate" (thanks Up.. for improving my vocab) my experience with this pack.

I got mine back in '03 and it is still bomb-proof up to this day. The material is much tougher than regular Mules (or any other camelbak). Yes, there are 2 separate pockets most likely designed for MREs and ammo but it works great for my rides (even 50 mile epics). I keep my pump along with the bladder, nutrition (sandwich, gelpaks, banana) in the upper pocket and everything else (spare tube, multi-tool, crash pack ziplok, another heavy duty ziplok containing small bike stuff) in the bigger lower pocket. IMO, too many hidden pockets (for "organization" sake?) with the regular Mule will just slow you down when needing something fast. I've used the external loops in the back to secure raingear, D-rings on the shoulder pad to anchor a 2-way radio. I particularly like the feature to disconnect the shoulder strap from the front with the quick-release (had to do this on a couple of bad crashes). Fully extending the shoulder and sternum straps and this pack comfortably fits my 6'4 280# carcass.

I replaced the original 100oz bladder (small opening) when the Omega reservoir (easier to clean) came out.

I see that they improved over the original design. Floating shoulder straps is a nice touch for better weight distribution. Padded wings too (wonder if there's a small pocket there). And molle weave system for securing accessories (e.g. knife sheathing) is current military/ police designs.

At $29, this is a great steal considering it costs nearly as much just for the bladder as someone has pointed out.

Here's a pic of my middle boy rockin' MY mule (trail at Biltmore). Guess what he's getting for Christmas ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    deleted
    Last edited by cclaeys; 12-03-2008 at 08:53 PM.

tl1
    Bicyclist

I ordered one Sunday...

...afternoon as a gift and already received it this afternoon. That's pretty fast service.

Now with 3 more inches!
    I've got both versions. For that money, it's a great pack - not as good for mtb as the mountain biking mule, but it is bombproof and the hose comes with insulation. Oh yeah, the bite valve has a fitting for gas masks or chemical warfare suits or something.

mtbr member
    Awesome, I just ordered one.

mtbr member
    so i got it today and i am super impressed. These things have come a long way since I bought my first Camelbak Classic.