mtbr member

Cambriabike.com rant, what do you guys think?

So I was looking around for a new air shock the other day and ran across a great deal at Cambria.com. I ordered a RockShox Vivid R2C Air Shock for a whopping $125.oo. I didn't get to excited about it, but I did receive an order number, confirmation e-mail and it was in stock at the time. Of course 4 days later I get an e-mail stating Rockshox no longer makes that item and they can't source it.
    I pretty much buy almost everything online, quite literally. From clothes to bike parts, to car parts and I've never ran into this?
    Is this something to raise a stink about? It was an amazing deal, do you think they should maybe offer me a 2012 at their cost or something?
    They are now showing out of stock on their web-site at least, but should the people ordering items be the one responsible for letting them know when they are out of an item? Are they that inefficient that maybe they didn't even have the shock in their own stock? Was the shock mis-priced and they don't want to honor the price listed?
    I recently ordered a jacket from a company called 6pm and it was the only one in stock, the web page quite literally said 1 left...I went ahead and bought it and what do you know it showed up 3 days later.
    In this day and age, why are we still running into these problems. Ok, i'm done *****ing.....happy trails. Jeff

Dirt Huffer
    Cambria isn't the only online store that pulls this kind of jazz. Same thing has happened to me by at least 3 different stores. I just except it and move on.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've had that happen before with a tire for a great price. I eventually said I'd take x tire in it's place at the same price. they went for it. good deal for either tire
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Cambria sucks. Enough said.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Same thing happened to me when I bought some DT Swiss db spokes from them. The stock showed that they had what I needed but I didn't find that out until I contacted them. They said that they would source them from one of their other stores but that never happened. I ended up buying the remaining spokes locally for 32 cents more than Cambria's price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A lot of these shops/etailers don't actually have all stock physically on hand. They receive an order, submit to their distributor, then get the item for you. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. Kinda sucks sometimes but is common practice.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Cambria has been left in the dust by other e-tailers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Most shops that don't stock all the items that are shown on their website now have live links to their supplier's inventory (aebike, for example) and can tell you exactly how many of an item are available. So while they might not have it in stock at the moment, at least you know their supplier has it and can get it to you.

Cambria doesn't bother with this tool. I had a bad experience with them 10 years ago and their service has only gotten worse since then. There are too many great etailers out there now for anyone to waste their time and money on cambria.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Cambria definitely has issues, but I am still willing to use them under some circumstances. When they have 20% off coupons, you can normally stack the on top of whatever discounts they already have in place. So I've gotten some good deals that way.
    But virtually every order I've placed with them has had some sort of issue. Items backordered forever. Confusion on what is in stock. Etc.
    My perception is that their IT system is in desperate need of an update. Seems like they've been using the same system since '99.
    The customer service I've received has generally been very good. Accepted returns late, made good on their screw-ups, etc.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    They kept my money (refund) for almost 4 weeks. No re stock fee, so that was good, and they were nice about my return. Just slow to pay.