mtbr member
    May 2004

Buyer Beware: Universal Cycles

I purchased a new frame, fork and wheelset from Universal Cycles in Portland over the phone on July 7th. After they were really helpfull on the phone, things went downhill from there. My frame showed up with the wrong shock so I elected to cancel the order, that was fine with Josh (shop employee). He said he would cancel the order and credit back my credit card. That was 7/15. Well it's now 8/10 and the order is yet to be canceled and my card properly credited. I am tired of calling Universal and hearing how it's a problem with accounting. Cash flow must be real tight these days for them....If you have to cancel an order with them, don't plan on seeing your money anytime soon, if at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think that it would be in your best interest to contact your credit card company and protest the charges. They will send you a form to complete. Then they will take control of resolving the situation, which they (the credit card company) will pursue as essentially a fraudulent charge. I believe that there is a time limit in which to get the protest filed, so get on it.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by exit38
    I purchased a new frame, fork and wheelset from Universal Cycles in Portland over the phone on July 7th. After they were really helpfull on the phone, things went downhill from there. My frame showed up with the wrong shock so I elected to cancel the order, that was fine with Josh (shop employee). He said he would cancel the order and credit back my credit card. That was 7/15. Well it's now 8/10 and the order is yet to be canceled and my card properly credited. I am tired of calling Universal and hearing how it's a problem with accounting. Cash flow must be real tight these days for them....If you have to cancel an order with them, don't plan on seeing your money anytime soon, if at all.
    I probably wont use them again either. I ordered some tires that I wanted before a trip. The tires were in stock so I figured plenty of time to get them but I will order them 2nd day air anyways. They ended up shipping them like 5 days later and it took about a week. They also sent me the wrong tracking number. Pffffft never again.

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I suppose I should toss in my "Universal" two cents worth….

I just received most of a build for a bicycle from Universal Cycles, including a set of wheels spec’ed out just as I wanted them. I was flabbergasted at how little I spent for middle to high end pieces parts – I shopped their closeouts mostly. They were very good with me on the phone, and the boxes arrived without item error about ten days after my first contact. Not instant gratification by any means, but I whole heartedly subscribe to the tenet of – quality or fast or cheap – pick any two you want! If it’s got to be for this weekend, I head to the LBS and take whatever they happen to stock. Maybe I am too easy, but my order still arrived well within what I consider a reasonable time frame, and some of it I could not purchase much less find locally, even if I was willing to spring for MSRP. My biggest gripe is that I am planning the next bike, and the cranks are not on this one yet.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I have shopped with universal several times, mostly for independant parts, and not for a complete build or frame or anything. In my experiences they have better service and shipping than any other online bicycle retailer.

About the chargeback on the credit card. I work for a credit card processing company. I would not recommend this until the very last resorrt. This costs universal cycles money just for you doing this, and you have 6 months from the date of purchase to do a chargeback. Im sure that they are not intentionally trying to give you a bad experience. Also keep in mind that if you do charge back the purchase it could be up to 90 days before you get your money back, and it will be at least 14 days. Crediting a Card also takes longer than charging a card so expect a few days extra on the return.

This is just my opinion, but unless you think you aren't going to get your refund, it will probably be quicker just to work it out with them.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    That's theory and not reality. You're living in that little cubicle world of CC customer service where situations are defined by that nice big training binder you're (mis)reading from.
    Theory is Jestep works for a CC company. Reality is he's a shill for universal cycles trying to keep them in the dough longer.

I love burritos.
    I also think he should make a report to the BBB of the state/county that Universal is in. Once this is done, you'll see how fast the money gets charged back to his account.
    Speaking of the BBB, Universal has an UNSATISFACTORY record with the bureau. See the current report.

I wonder how long it's going to take for these guys to either get their act together (if it's unintentional) or to finally close up shop (if they're intentionally ripping people off).

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep
    I have shopped with universal several times, mostly for independant parts, and not for a complete build or frame or anything. In my experiences they have better service and shipping than any other online bicycle retailer.

About the chargeback on the credit card. I work for a credit card processing company. I would not recommend this until the very last resorrt. This costs universal cycles money just for you doing this, and you have 6 months from the date of purchase to do a chargeback. Im sure that they are not intentionally trying to give you a bad experience. Also keep in mind that if you do charge back the purchase it could be up to 90 days before you get your money back, and it will be at least 14 days. Crediting a Card also takes longer than charging a card so expect a few days extra on the return.

This is just my opinion, but unless you think you aren't going to get your refund, it will probably be quicker just to work it out with them.
    It would have taken far less words if you had just worded it "my advice is to bend over, apply chain lube (perferably Rock N' Roll extreme), bite down on a piece of rubber, and then go from there". I don't care how long it takes. At least from my experiences I know the credit card company isn't going to keep trying to weasel out of it for months to come.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead
    I wonder how long it's going to take for these guys to either get their act together (if it's unintentional) or to finally close up shop (if they're intentionally ripping people off).
    I doubt that they are in it to rip off people. Sounds like they are just not on top of things or not the greatest business people skill wise.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member
    Doesn't matter. The effects are the same. Customers are being incovenienced and ripped off...
    True..True indeed. The result whether they are crooks or just business flakes is just the same, the consumer is on the short end of the stick and that's not fair.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Theory is Jestep works for a CC company. Reality is he's a shill for universal cycles trying to keep them in the dough longer.
    This is a good theory, but your definately wrong on this one. I'm not defending universal cycels because I am involved with them in any way. Im sure that all you Jenson, Performance, and Nashbar reps, love to badger your competitors, but I have no affiliation with any bicycle company.

Like I stated earlier, I have never had any problems with universal, and I have had problems with several other companies, that I will not point out here.

All I'm saying is that sometimes stuff goes wrong with any company and the best method is not always to go do a chargeback. If you ever run a business you would obviously know this, and would feel the same way.

And actually you have 180 days by Visa / MC regs and usually 90 days by card issueing banks.

Like I also said, 'if you dont think you are going to get your money back do a charge back', I never said not to do a chargeback. Universal Cycles would not have been in business for so long if they ripped off every customer that bought something from them. I also did not realize that they had an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB. I dont investigate every company I buy from, especially if I never have any problems.

That's theory and not reality. You're living in that little cubicle world of CC customer service where situations are defined by that nice big training binder you're (mis)reading from.
    And what is your background in the area?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Also look at it from this point.

If for some reason you lose the chargeback, because they do have the right to dispute it you are completely out of your money, and they dont have to pay you back.

Although Im sure that their BBB rating suggests how well they respond to complaints.

For someone giving their opinion there is a lot of anger here. This is a very close minded subjective community. Grow Up

Hardtail Steel Forever
    What's you experience? You work in a call center.
    By what 'non-theoretical' way did you obtain information like this. You are now making a personal attack on someone who was giving an objective opinion about a situation, because you don't have the maturity to just debate the statement that they made.

By looking at a situation objectively, it allows you to see all of the possible actions and allows you to see the outcome for each. By attacking someone who has a different opinion than you, you are undermining the idea of a discussion forum. The idea is not to debate the person, its to debate or discuss their point of view. I'm happy with viewing situations objectively, and I'm sure that you are happy with your fascist one track view where every customer is a victim and every business is out to get the consumer.

If he only wanted one opinion for his post, then why post it at all.

By saying that I am trying to prevent this guy from taking action, is ridiculous. Do you really think that by posting a response to a question in a forum, I am in any way preventing any action by the poster. He is free to make what ever decision that he deems necessary to get the results that he is after. What does it matter if there are different opinions from different people.

I'm not going to post in this article again, because it is getting completely off track and is no longer about the topic of the original post. I'm sure that you will respond to this with a witty remark about some textbook that I apparently am attached to or a personal attack on my own persona, but as far as poor business practices are concerned, my business has a perfect rating with the BBB, and I don't work in a call center.

Have a good day, and I'll see you around the forum...