mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Building a bike, trying to find a good fork (100mm) and drivetrain

I'm building a new bike and am looking for a *good* 100mm fork. I thought about getting a Z3 for awhile but realised the technology is probably too out of date. I did love that fork though.

I don't need anything but lockout on the external. Everything else can be internal. I don't want to spend more than 400, the less the better. Used is fine if it is in excellent shape.

Only interested in Marz and Fox (the latter probably too rich for my blood). I'm building an all day ride bike, but am not terribly worried about weight, in fact, I care more about durability.

Also, for a drivetrain, I'm looking for the most affordable reliable drivetrain there is. No gripshift however.

Any ideas?

Lets RIDE!
    Marz xc700 at Jenson

I bought the xc600 from them for a little less $, but it looks like they're sold out.

Jim
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    Marz xc700 at Jenson

I bought the xc600 from them for a little less $, but it looks like they're sold out.

Jim
    I saw that. What's the difference between the 700 and 600?

Lets RIDE!
    The terminology gets confusing. (and the Marz website and owners manuals too!) Both the '07 xc600 and 700 have "ETA" which locks the fork down but still allows 30 or 40mm of travel, for climbing. The lever is on top of the left cap. The 700 also has "TST2" which is controlled by a lever on the right cap....as I read it, it completely locks the fork, with no travel....again for climbing....not sure why both ETA and TST2 are needed, but more is better? Maybe? Both the 600 and 700 have rebound damping via a knob on the bottom of the right leg. As far as I can tell both are air/coil forks.

This is for the 2007 models....it all changes in the '08 line. I went with the 600 for the simplicity, but still with what I thought were the most useful features. And mostly, for the price. I've only ridden it a couple times but it seems to be working well. I haven't even thought to try the ETA gizmo yet.

I've been told to avoid the models with adjustable travel (SL, ATA) because of reliability problems, but I have no direct experience there.

Pricepoint still has the '07 xc600, but it's $70 more than the xc700 at Jenson.

Jim
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.