Thread: Build kits

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Build kits

i am looking into building a bike up from scratch and i was wondering if anyone has seen any good deals on build kits recently? it actually doesn't even have to be a really good deal, just post any that you see please. also looking for something with components that are at least lx or x7.
    Thanks

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Just contact any of the usual suspects i.e. Chad at Red Barn Bicycles, Larry at Mountain High Cyclery, etc. Tell them what you want in your build kit and they'll likely put together an excellent price for you. Just because they don't have "build kits" that are already pre-configured doesn't mean they won't have a competitive package for you. In fact, it's likely a better route since everything is to your exact specs instead of having to accept a couple of components in a build kit for which you would prefer an alternate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ive never build a bike up from scratch before, so how does this work? do i just email those companies with the stuff i want in a build kit and they send me a quote??? Thanks for the quick reply

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by robertras
    ive never build a bike up from scratch before, so how does this work? do i just email those companies with the stuff i want in a build kit and they send me a quote??? Thanks for the quick reply

I have never dealt with Chad but Larry has always been great. Just email him, or better yet call him. Good luck

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Mix and match components to build up your bike with the www.speedgoat.com "Bike Lab".

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    colorado cyclist seems to have pretty good prices on build kits

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This may be out of your price range but it's the build kit I got. I'm very pleased with it but the wheels will need to be gone over with a spoke wrench. They ran very true but the spoke tension was inconsistent.

Shimano XT 26" Build Kit

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Build-Kit.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks for all of the great posts. my price range is about 900-1000 but im willing to look into anything. THANKS!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    gotta try out chainreactioncycle.com, they are in the UK, but I built out a full xtr kit with avid carbon brakes (07 model) for about $1250. There Shimano stuff sells at great prices. Shipping is free over $300.