Freshly Fujified

Budget hardtail frame-$89.00

I just received word from my friends at Leader that they will be selling a new single butted 7005 aluminum hardtail frame for $89.00. The frame (LD 510H) will be under 4 lbs and available in three colors and four sizes via their website (www.leaderbikeusa.com) and their ebay store. Availability will be end of November, just in time for the holidays.

I own two Leader bikes, a 626S full suspension AM rig and a 515 XC hardtail. Check the reviews on their frames, it should tell you everything. They make an excellent product and represent an incredible value. Anyone who has read my posts on components and builds, you know that bang for the buck is huge on my list.

I've attached some pics.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

anyone else smell that?
    i like the black. have you had any experience with their customer service? i don't see der. hangers on their website. i'd assume they have them for sale though?

Freshly Fujified

Good Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    i like the black. have you had any experience with their customer service? i don't see der. hangers on their website. i'd assume they have them for sale though?
    My 626S is that same black color, it looks very nice. Leader has been very good to me from the standpoint of customer service. Keep in mind, I purchased my 626S from Downshift Cycles and my 515 from an ebay liquidator. I was able to get two new derailleur hangers from Jared at Downshift no problem. I know that derailleurhanger.com also carries Leader hangers, so that's potentially a source. In that this is a new frame, I'd say go straight to Leader for the derailleur hanger, as i don't know how quickly they will make it to aftermarket vendors. As another example of their Customer Service, my 626S came with a crash replacement warranty, and I dropped the bike at some point leaving a ding on the top tube. I had no problems getting a replacement front triangle for the bike through Jared via the terms of the crash replacment warranty. All in all, very good experiences with Leader and I am very happy with my bikes.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    At the risk of sounding dumb... is it cheap because it's single-butted? Supposedly that makes it heavier too, right? But if it's under 4 lbs. it's not really heavier than a 516H- so what gives?

btw - I ordered a 516H frame yesterday so these are really mute points.

Freshly Fujified

My best guess

Quote Originally Posted by scone
    At the risk of sounding dumb... is it cheap because it's single-butted? Supposedly that makes it heavier too, right? But if it's under 4 lbs. it's not really heavier than a 516H- so what gives?

btw - I ordered a 516H frame yesterday so these are really mute points.
    My guess is that in addition to the butting, the 516H is made of Leaders 7005 based U6 alloy, and the 510H is made from straight up 7005 aluminum. Here is how Leader explains the difference in the two:

U6 Aluminum Alloy
    Our proprietary ultra light U AL U6 aluminum alloy is 25% stronger and 20% more fatigue resistant than traditional 6061 aluminum alloy. We worked with the suppliers of this material to develop custom tubes for our high end frames. U AL U6 aluminum allows us to use very thin tubing without sacrificing strength. U AL U6 tubing makes its appearance in our LD-735R racing frames.

7005 Aluminum
    7005 aluminum is slightly stronger than 6061 so it can mean slightly lighter frames. We use 7005 aluminum for several of our frames because it is so light and stiff.

I could be dead wrong on this, but it's the only real difference I can see based on the two frames in question and their respective specs.

Bob

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    the 516h is on sale at blueskycyclling 99 bills

Transplant
    Quote Originally Posted by nismo driver
    the 516h is on sale at blueskycyclling 99 bills
    I only see it for $139

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-MTB-Frame.htm

$99 would definetley make it more desirable (I need a winter bike)

Freshly Fujified

516H @ Leader for $89.00

Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    I only see it for $139

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-MTB-Frame.htm

$99 would definetley make it more desirable (I need a winter bike)
    Leader still has some 516H frames for $89.00. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Leader-Alumi...QQcmdZViewItem

I'd call to make sure they have your size. They may even take the order by phone and eliminate the ebay step, who knows.

Bob

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    not that it makes any difference at this point, but do you guys figure there is any difference between the 2004, 2005, and 2006 516H?

I saw the red one on ebay, but I decided against it purely because of it's color. Oh vanity. However, the $99 version eluded me... I still can't figure out if it's the '05 model of the 516H, or if it's just some fluke in the pricing...

Freshly Fujified

No clue, but...

Now there's a 2006 Black 516H up on ebay that includes an FSA Headset for $155 shipped. It's a 19" frame. Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leader-Aluminum-...QQcmdZViewItem

mtbr member
    Frames have arrived and ship within 24 hours. order here for $89

www.leaderbikestore.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've been interested in Leader frames for a number of years now. The quality of the decals and paint have really seemed to increase the last couple of years. Where are the frames actually made? I probably would have picked one up for a friend recently but ended up with a Diamondback DBR Axis frame and by my scales weighed in at 3.6lbs. It was also $89 + shipping. The DBR was made in Taiwan.

I would be interested in the FS Leader frame and even a road frame for a winter project. I'm just really not a fan of the integrated headset approach.

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnick
    I would be interested in the FS Leader frame and even a road frame for a winter project. I'm just really not a fan of the integrated headset approach.
    Well, FWIW it looks like only their road bikes use the integrated approach. All the mtb frames take zero stack headsets, which from what I've read are just as good (or better) than the traditional threadless kind.

I picked up a 516H a few months ago, and I've been building it up into a 1x8 out of old parts that I've salvaged off my old mtb. I've raced the frame twice now, and other than drive train issues (which are not the frame's fault, and which I've almost solved) the bike has been perfect. It's a bit heavier than advertised though... I'm not exactly sure by how much since I'm using a digital bathroom scale... but it's reporting 4.3 lbs.... not 3.6 or whatever was advertised. Mind you the scale could be a ways off, but I tried to be as accurate as possibly by weighing myself, and then weighing myself + frame and taking the difference.

In any case, it is noticeably heavier (though not by much) than the '99 Giant Iguana SE frame I am salvaging the parts from. The giant went for $450 back in the day, so I can't imagine that it's frame would be all that amazing.

I'll try to post a full write-up of the new bike once I get it all finished....

Any comments from Leader about the weight thing? LBUSA?

mtbr member
    Pricepoint has a 516H for 89.98.
    17" black only

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylepkey=14290

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    hmm...I'm still interested in what country the frame was made.

Well, FWIW it looks like only their road bikes use the integrated approach. All the mtb frames take zero stack headsets, which from what I've read are just as good (or better) than the traditional threadless kind.

I picked up a 516H a few months ago, and I've been building it up into a 1x8 out of old parts that I've salvaged off my old mtb. I've raced the frame twice now, and other than drive train issues (which are not the frame's fault, and which I've almost solved) the bike has been perfect. It's a bit heavier than advertised though... I'm not exactly sure by how much since I'm using a digital bathroom scale... but it's reporting 4.3 lbs.... not 3.6 or whatever was advertised. Mind you the scale could be a ways off, but I tried to be as accurate as possibly by weighing myself, and then weighing myself + frame and taking the difference.

In any case, it is noticeably heavier (though not by much) than the '99 Giant Iguana SE frame I am salvaging the parts from. The giant went for $450 back in the day, so I can't imagine that it's frame would be all that amazing.

I'll try to post a full write-up of the new bike once I get it all finished....

Any comments from Leader about the weight thing? LBUSA?

mtbr member
    hmm...I'm still interested in what country the frame was made.

probably Taiwan

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had both a Sette Reken and a Leader frame and I'd have to say that the Sette for $70 on Pricepoint is a better buy. Only thing wrong with the Sette is that you have to like flat black.

goes well with tea
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by glenk
    I've had both a Sette Reken and a Leader frame and I'd have to say that the Sette for $70 on Pricepoint is a better buy. Only thing wrong with the Sette is that you have to like flat black.
    The sette was a better deal price-wise when I bought mine as well, but I was concerned whether I would be able to run a 120mm fork, so I ended up settling on the Leader 516H because I was able to get confirmation from Sal (the frame designer) himself. I never did find contact information for Sette...thus I had no one to ask.

glenk: which leader frame did you have, and what do you figure are the biggest differences between the leader and the sette? On paper they look very similar...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The sette was a better deal price-wise when I bought mine as well, but I was concerned whether I would be able to run a 120mm fork, so I ended up settling on the Leader 516H because I was able to get confirmation from Sal (the frame designer) himself. I never did find contact information for Sette...thus I had no one to ask.

glenk: which leader frame did you have, and what do you figure are the biggest differences between the leader and the sette? On paper they look very similar...
    Very true, I'm not comparing apples to apples. I had a Leader 515 frame but it does seem to be similar to the new frame in many ways, but definitely not the head tube on the 510. It was a good frame but the painted finish was weak and the Sette seems stronger built in the chainstay/ rear dropout areas. I'd still be riding the Leader if it hadn't gotten stolen.

I too tried to get in touch with Sette but never heard from them. I ended up getting a spare RD hanger from Pricepoint by asking them instead. If you search the mtbr forum, you'll see that some one actually received information that the Sette frame geometry was designed for a 100mm fork. So riding around on a 120mm (which I almost decided to buy) would be like my Sette now with the 100's fully extended and locked out. Which I do alot and it isn't really noticeable.

Now if Leader remains around to cover their lifetime guarantee, then that too is a consideration.

Freshly Fujified

Integrated headsets

The Leader 626S (the full suspension rig) doesn't require the integrated headset. It takes a standard headset with the exception of Chris King (don't ask why, I don't know the reason, but I have it from a reliable source that this is the case). The 515 hardtail (and probably the 516) takes an integrated headset.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.