mtbr member

Budget build fork?

I'm looking to spend as little as possible on a fork for my budget build. Around 100 mm is what I'm looking for.

Anybody know of a good fork?

ot

banned
    The OE Manitou R7 Comp and JensonUSA has been staring at me for weeks. Too bad I'm not in the market for a new fork.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...omp+Oe+06.aspx

Was that a Bobcat?
    I'll second the OE Manitou R7 Comp. I bought one of these from Jenson a while back and it is an excellent fork, IMO.

SuperInstigator

Rockshox Tora

I like the R7 too; I mean it looks good but I haven't tried it. What about the Roickshox Tora 302 U-turn w/lockout (or the more expensive Tora 318)? The 302 has 85-130mm of travel, lockout, and external rebound. It got excellent reviews on this site. If you were going to buy it is cheapest at http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Turn-Fork.htmBlueskycycling. However, I have had really bad experience with them (although it was on a large order) so I tried going to Jensonusa. I then requested a price match and they gave it to me right away. I had excellent experience with them !
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Bud
    mtbr member
    If you're really going budget I'll have an new OE Manitou Axel next week that I was planning on taking off and ebaying whenever. I'm not looking for much, PM me if interested.
    Mods - if this is not kosher I'll delete it and appolgize in advance.

mtbr member
    I was already looking at the Tora and there is only a ten dollar difference in price. I feel kinda fork dumb because I really don't know what all the "Poploc" and "U-turn" stuff really is.

help?

banned
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=831

2005 Manitou Black Super - this is an awsome fork. I have the 2004 Black Platinum which is the same fork.

SuperInstigator

Poploc and U-Turn

Quote Originally Posted by Offtime3123
    I was already looking at the Tora and there is only a ten dollar difference in price. I feel kinda fork dumb because I really don't know what all the "Poploc" and "U-turn" stuff really is.

help?
    Yea, all this stuff is a little hard to understand. U-turn is just Rockshox's term for adjustable travel. Changing the travel does not effect the preload. It is actually really a good idea and its nice that the tora has 45 mm of adjustable travel. Poploc, on the other hand, I have never used. It is basically a handlebar mounted system that offer motion control, such as lockout, right at your fingertips. I personally think that Poploc is just more stuff to go wrong, but it is convenient. Also, I did hear bad stuff mechanically about Poploc, so it would be best to research first.

SuperInstigator

Poploc and U-Turn

Quote Originally Posted by Offtime3123

help?
    U-turn is adjustable travel. Poploc is handlebar mounted motion control. I'll give a more complete response later.

mtbr member
    All the forks listed have their positives and negatives.
    The Tora 302 does not come with Rock Shox’s Motion Control damping (the website doesn’t really go into any detail as to what type of damping it uses), plus it’s a bit of a pig at 5.3 lbs. Nevertheless, with it’s steel walled, larger diameter tubes it will probably be noticeably stiffer than the other two. If you live somewhere with long climbs followed long descents you might appreciate the adjustable travel. My preference is to just set the travel and forget it (there are no real mountains where I ride).

The R7 will be the racier fork, and is pretty light at 3.6 lbs. Having a light bike is always nice for the climbs and for accelerating, but if you’re heavy or ride really aggressively you may notice some flex in the fork. Also, I’ve read the Fluid Flow damping is a simplistic design and leaves a bit to be desired when encountering hits at high speed.

The Black may be the best fork. No weight is listed, but I remember reading somewhere that the adjustable travel Blacks weigh around 4.2 lbs (not bad). I’ve also read that TPC, the damping used by this model Black, makes for a nice plush ride. I’m sure there are drawbacks to TPC, but don’t know them off the top of my head (the search function is a wonderful tool).

One last comment - the R7 is air sprung, meaning you should be able to set the sag/preload to your weight regardless of what you weigh. The other two are coil sprung, so you may have to buy diff’t springs if you do not weigh within the weight range the stock springs are spec’d at. IOW, if you weigh under around 160lbs you may have to get a softer coil spring, or if you weigh over 190lbs you may need a stiffer spring.

Ant

mtbr member
    I have a '06 Tora 318 coil 85-130mm with both stock and extra firm springs in good condition that I want to sell. This is an excellent fork, it will be replaced by an air reba on my singlespeed.
    send me a pm if interested

over 50 years of cycling

Manitou R7

Dang, that Manitou R7 gets GREAT reviews on MTBR, for 100mm fork:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2006_fro...t_125168.shtml

And at that price FOR A NEW FORK its hard to lose. Note its ONLY disc compatible, but you can pick up some Avid BB5 or 7's for cheap and have a sweet xc setup.

I have had a couple of manitou forks, by happenstance, and so far I have been pleasantly suprised at how good they have been for me.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Freshly Fujified

Good price

Quote Originally Posted by cam2Xrunner
    Nice price on the AM 2 fork, so long as you're matching it to a frame that will handle the long travel.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jun 2006