Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

BlueSkyCycling never again

So today is the last time I'm going to get screwed by them. I placed an order through them about a month and a half ago. I placed the order on a friday and granted they were closed on the weekend, which I understood. Got my confirmation e-mail about me placing the order immediately (automated.) A full week goes by and I decide to e-mail them and ask what's going on. They said that my order will be shipped out that day. So if I didn't contact them they would of never shipped it? I finally received it on Wednsday the next week so from the time I placed it, it took almost 2 weeks to receive it? I questioned them about it and basically they e-mailed me sorry we can't do anything about it, but you got your order so why are you complaining. So that kind of got me mad. So I found on their website they were selling a 2012 Fox Float Terralogic 29 100mm 15mm thru axle fork w/ free FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro Headset for 583.93$ w/ free shipping. I said oh man I can't pass that up, but do I really want to deal with them again? So I said what the heck it's worth it. I placed the order 4 hours later I receive a phone call from Omar at BSC. He tells me we are sold out and we cannot get anymore and we are not doing backorders. Now I'm pissed because this is the 2nd time they screwing me up. So now I ask him why can't you get more it's a 2012 it's brand new. He goes those were OE items that's why we can't get them. I said I didn't purchase an OE item I purchased a NEW one because it doesn't say OE when listed. He goes it's new but it's an OE. So I say so you guys are false advertising? He studders and continues to tell me that they are sold out and they can't get more and that's it. After arguing with them on the phone for 30 minutes I decide to just give up because I am going nowhere with them and this piece of crap company that lies and doesn't honor their customer satisfaction that they post all over their site. I used to order from them with no problems but this was ridiculous. Oh I asked about why they didn't update their inventory on their site they told me oh its off now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A lot of their stuff is OE and doesn't say it on the website.

If that's a concern for people, they should definitely call before ordering.

mtbr member
    A post like this could probably hurt their business. I would contact somebody higher up there and let them know about this post. And then see if there is something they could do for you to make things right.
    It makes me think twice before I would order from them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowerman View Post
    A lot of their stuff is OE and doesn't say it on the website.

If that's a concern for people, they should definitely call before ordering.
    Wouldn't you think as a buyer you should be informed that it is an OE product? I know I would be kind of pissed if I received and OE item and thinking I was getting a new original packaged item.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Other places, like Jenson, will state if it is oe.

_
    Mar 2004
    hmmm, makes me wonder if the SLX cranks i just ordered today from them for $119+tax/shipping are "OE".

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    when I bought the SLX cranks from BlueSky they were OE. That was a year ago. didn't say it on their website, but I didn't care all that much.

mtbr member
    Items that are OE mostly are NOT "take-offs". They are items made for bike manufacturers and there is overstock of them, and are not packaged in a box or original packaging. These items are new. The only time this could be an issue is if a component company makes a special part for a bike company. For example, Rock Shox makes special forks with different internals for companies like Specialized. Things like an SLX crank should be exactly the same as what you'd get aftermarket. You're gonna throw away the box anyhow, so who cares?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The last two SLX cranks I ordered from BSC didnt come in the original box. They just came in a brown box wrapped up but I didnt really care as long as the item was brand new,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Fubar Rider View Post
    Things like an SLX crank should be exactly the same as what you'd get aftermarket. You're gonna throw away the box anyhow, so who cares?
    Especially at their prices. I've bought 2 sets of Shimano SLX brakes from them. Both were current model year. Both worked flawlessly (though 1 needed a bleed). Both were stupid cheap compared to what the bike shop was charging. I do agree they should at least tell you, but I didn't care myself.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    On second thought, what do I know?
    Last edited by OldManBike; 08-11-2011 at 01:10 PM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nyczbubba View Post
    Wouldn't you think as a buyer you should be informed that it is an OE product? I know I would be kind of pissed if I received and OE item and thinking I was getting a new original packaged item.
    I agree they should state that.

But, I think its fairly obvious that a 900 fork selling for less than 600 is going to be OE. Or a complete bike take off. Fox has advertised price floors in place on "new, retail box" forks. They can't offer that fork that low if it wasn't oe. Now you know.

I'm sorry I missed that deal.

Short-Change-Hero
    Remember the old saying "if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is...." this is a perfect example of that. I have to agree with 92gli, you are buying a $900 fork for a $300 price savings and you didn't think something was up? I mean, I just purchased a brand new, never used (their words) Manitou Tower Pro 100mm 29er fork for $60 less than most retail. Had it come as an OE product I would have contacted them and put up a bit of a fight, but had it been closer to a $150 savings for me then I would have figured it was a take off or overstock.

You are blaming a company for false advertising, granted that is a bad thing and they should have put up on the page that it was a take-off, oe, whatever. But caveat emptor tells me that at that price I would have picked up the phone and talked to someone prior to clicking the button. If it says that it was new, never installed, etc and did not mention anything about "retail boxing" or anything like that then that is a different story. This is almost like the people that sue McDonald's for spilling hot coffee on themselves when they ordered a "Hot Coffee." Why does it seem that so many people want something for nothing, and when they dont get it automatically go on the interwebz and start ranting.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I understand what I was getting into. But the fact being that as a business you should inform your customers of exactly what you are getting. So what if you went to a car dealer and bought a car and they sold it as new but instead you found out it was damaged in transport after you had bought the car but they fixed it up to look new. So as a dealer they dont need to inform you so you would be ok with that. This is a internet business where you are not seeing what you are buying until it arrives all im saying is just advertise that is an oe if it is one, how hard is it? Im not saying that its a lesser of a product or anything.

My main concern is their customer service. You guys seem to be addressing only one of the many issues. Also one of my least concerned issue with dealing blueskycycling. So enlighten me on my other issues.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Is oe stuff warranteed?

The Mcdonalds coffee story is used by too many people when they don't know the whole story (skin grafts, hundreds of prior complaints, how it spilled etc.).

Life on a Sandbar
    I'm not so sure most know the difference between OE and packaged in a pretty box....both are new items, unused, so I don't see the issue, particularly if the item is had at a price that is significantly lower then competitors. What I know to be a fact is that if an item is a takeoff from a previously built up bike, then that is always stated by every legitimate on-line retailer without exception. If it's not a takeoff, then the choice between OE vs wrapped in bells and whistles for $30+ more is a no brainer. I've used Blue Sky for over 8 years, and have yet to have had an issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    So what if you went to a car dealer and bought a car and they sold it as new but instead you found out it was damaged in transport after you had bought the car but they fixed it up to look new. So as a dealer they dont need to inform you so you would be ok with that.
    You're not going to like the answer to this one. They in fact are not required to tell you unless the damage is quite significant. This isn't such an issue for cars made domestically, but import shipyards have huge autobody shops doing just this. And you'll never know.

With that said, OE vs retail means what kind of box it comes and if instructions are included. The only exception to that would be some manufacturers (like Rockshox) won't honor warranty on OE parts.

mtbr member
    I always laugh when people quote the McDonalds story incorrectly. McDonalds spent millions and millions of dollars on PR to make sure the story that was published was a pretty twisted version of the actual events. If you actually read any of the case (which is available online) it's pretty obvious that the facts that led them win the case were very different then the facts presented by the media.

Let's put it this way for simplicity: McDonalds purchases coffee cups that are made in 2 pieces b/c they are cheaper, the cheap 2 piece cups split at the seam as a result of the heat, multiple people previously receive burns as a result of the cups falling apart on them, McDonalds does a cost analysis and decides that the money they save on cups more than makes up for the lawsuits that they incur over time. The judge decides that is gross negligence which is why the penalty was so high.

Without looking it up, as I recall even the information by the media that the lady was driving and the coffee was between her legs was not even accurate or correct. I believe she was the passenger and the cup literally fell apart all over her upper leg as well as other private/uncomfortable areas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    You're not going to like the answer to this one. They in fact are not required to tell you unless the damage is quite significant. This isn't such an issue for cars made domestically, but import shipyards have huge autobody shops doing just this. And you'll never know.

With that said, OE vs retail means what kind of box it comes and if instructions are included. The only exception to that would be some manufacturers (like Rockshox) won't honor warranty on OE parts.

Not a great example to use actually. A better example would be, the car is new but has been put in "demo service" and the owners wife has been driving the car around for a couple of months. Every state is different, but in NYS you cannot sell the car without the customer filling out a disclosure statement letting them know that the car was a "demo" and essentially that the manufacturers warranty started when the wife first started driving the car - 2 months ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaARNP View Post
    I'm not so sure most know the difference between OE and packaged in a pretty box....both are new items, unused, so I don't see the issue, particularly if the item is had at a price that is significantly lower then competitors. What I know to be a fact is that if an item is a takeoff from a previously built up bike, then that is always stated by every legitimate on-line retailer without exception. If it's not a takeoff, then the choice between OE vs wrapped in bells and whistles for $30+ more is a no brainer. I've used Blue Sky for over 8 years, and have yet to have had an issue.
    Obviously u just are repeating what a fe people posted already. Everyone knows what OE means by now. So when you decide to make a contributing post, please try again. Oh thats great that you were forunate enough to have had no problems with them for 8 years but I know at least 3 other people who had a problem with them too. Dont get me wrong I really wanted to make it work but unfortunate that they didn't. I am just posting my experience, everyone else has theirs, just mine wasn't good.

You guys seem to be attacking one issue which is the most minor one. So if anyone else who has something to say other than about the oe issue please do.
    Last edited by nyczbubba; 08-11-2011 at 11:22 AM.

_
    Mar 2004
    my slx cranks arrived this morning, less than 24hrs after ordering. so far so good.

btw, this was my first order from BSC.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ffc3 View Post
    Other places, like Jenson, will state if it is oe.
    BSC "should" disclose that the items are OE. I was a little surprised to get an XT cassette wrapped in plastic instead of a box... but, I got it fast and it didn't really matter to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well this explains why my new crankset was wrapped up in brown paper. I was too excited to wonder why it wasn't packaged. It did include directions though.
    Marin 29er
    "Try not to ride too long you might end up burning muscle!"
    http://www.beeftrain.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    sucks when people bad mouth a company on a public forum that provides them with awesome deals for petty stuff like this. OMG they were sold out, OMG they took a long time to ship, damn you were robbed, violated, screwed!!! Whether the person posting has a point or not, is the situation so bad that you should flame a company publicly? just something to consider.

mtbr member
    Obviously u just are repeating what a fe people posted already. Everyone knows what OE means by now. So when you decide to make a contributing post, please try again. Oh thats great that you were forunate enough to have had no problems with them for 8 years but I know at least 3 other people who had a problem with them too. Dont get me wrong I really wanted to make it work but unfortunate that they didn't. I am just posting my experience, everyone else has theirs, just mine wasn't good.

You guys seem to be attacking one issue which is the most minor one. So if anyone else who has something to say other than about the oe issue please do.
    OK, here goes. As far as stock issues with websites, that unfortunately happens a lot with bike stores. You have to remember most of these shops aren't tech guys and have spent some basic money to get a basic website with an online shopping cart. You may have noticed quite a few of them look almost exactly the same? Even the bigger shops are little guys compared to Amazon.com. A lot of these websites aren't always linked up to real time inventory. Some of them are updated by hand even. It is quite common for a bike website to post a sale item that sells out so fast that stock goes to backorder and your order cannot be filled, even though it said in stock when you sold it. It's not like Chainlove where they're counting down each item sold until it's gone. I'm not saying it's right, or that it's a good experience when it happens to you, but it's not limited to Blue Sky. If you really have any doubt about stock and want to be absolutely certain when you order, just call them.

Your first issue is wrong, but mistakes do happen. You were just unlucky. A lot of time it's how they make it right that matters. You shouldn't have to contact them to get your items sent, but at least they sent it out as soon as you called them. I'm not giving them a free pass, and customer service should never be "optional," but my overall experience with them has been pretty positive.

At least they never lied to you. Sounds like they were pretty up front and honest in both cases. I'd rather have that than be told something completely false or be given false promises like some other websites have done.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast