mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bikesdirect.com and performancebike.com. Good deal or too good to be true?

I would love to hear from those who have bought complete bikes from bikesdirect.com or performancebike.com. Was it a good experience? Any complaints? Why are they able to sell new bikes for so much cheaper than msrp? I'm looking at some hardtail 29'ers on these sites and wondering if the deals are too good to be true without some "catch."

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They use over inflated msrps in my opinion. If you look at a comparable model through other companies you will see about the same price. I might be wrong but thats just what I have seen.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    +1 on the overinflated MSRP.

Performance sometimes has stuff pretty cheap on clearance sometimes.

There are a millions threads on bikesdirect out there.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I ordered a 29er from Nashbar.com which is owned by performance and everything was great. The price could not be beat when they run one of there 15% off everything or Free shipping. Wait for one of those deals to come around and buy your bike.

mtbr member
    They may have over inflated MSRP but their final sale prices are very good.

born to chill
    Bike is a bike, doesn't really matter where it came from if it is the brand/style/whatever you're after.

I see a lot of griping about bikes being made available from online retailers at a great price, I honestly don't see what the problem is, besides this is nothing new at all. Mail order has historically beaten down the LBS when it comes to prices.

A lot of these places show unrealistic MSRP, but like Boomer said, that's a little beside the point because their end price is generally really pretty good.

I've used jensonusa and performance bike before, and just recently in fact, I have an order coming from bikesdirect right now. I've never had a bad experience.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    They may have over inflated MSRP but their final sale prices are very good.
    Yep good deal no matter how you look at it. I'm a satisfied customer...

mtbr member
    I bought a hardtail 29er from BikesDirect about 4 years ago and I was real happy with it. I replaced the wheels and all of a sudden it was my favorite bike. The drivetrain cables have too much slack, but just cut them down before you adjust everything; it will look great.

I actually just bought their FS 29er and I am selling my HT29er that I bought from them and my Trek Remedy 6.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Purchased a Diamondback Overdrive 29er from Nashbar.com (owned by Performancebike) and was quite pleased with it. Had a 20% off coupon that made it a good deal. The bike had a failed rear derailleur and BB within the first three months but they quickly sent me replacement parts. however, compared to the other bikes they sell, that is the only good deal I have seen. The rest of the bikes have overinflated MSRP's as stated above. Don't think the MSRP's at your LBS are not negotiable because they most definitely are. Buying last years models in Oct-Dec will usually get you the best deals. Remember, most of this stuff is made overseas... Don't think in american dollars, think in chinese dollars.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    do all you guys that order from them do your own set ups?

mtbr member
    I do my own setups but most shops will do it for you for under $100

T.W.O.
    Good deal? or too good to be true?

How about you get what you paid for.

They are not good nor bad, it's valued at a fair price and over inflate the msrp to create an attractive sales banner, no more no less.

mtbr member
    I had about a 9 yr break in riding when I bought my first BD bike in the Spring of 2010. I actually joined this site because I had bought a new bike not the other way around.

The lbs set my 700HT up. Rode it for about a year then I upgraded to a 2011 Fly Pro also from BD. I set this one up. This is a sweet 26" HT. It's made me realize I might be a closet WW.

So from my perspective BD offers a good value for HT bikes. They may not be perfect for everyone but I like them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Good deal? or too good to be true?

How about you get what you paid for.

They are not good nor bad, it's valued at a fair price and over inflate the msrp to create an attractive sales banner, no more no less.
    I would say it's a little better than fair... It's a good deal. Not some crazy steal but if you really shop you won't beat the price.

That said I have no experience with their FS bikes I ride Specialized FSR's but the HT I got from them was a very good deal.

mtbr member
    As others have said, ignore the MSRP on BikesDirect. They ARE the manufacturer, AND the retailer so this doesn't make sense except from a marketing perspective. The price you pay is what to look at, and compare components to other bikes at the same price point.

I've bought two bikes from them: an ultegra equipped aluminum road bike (Windsor Knight), and a hardtail 29er MTB (Windsor Cliff 29er Pro). You can find my review and experience here on mtbr: Windsor Cliff 29R Pro - Build Thread and Ride Report .

My review and experience on the Windsor Knight bike is here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/mot...ht-204524.html

In general, the road bike has been fantastic. I've replaced the chain twice over the last 1.5 years, and put about 3,000 miles on it between commuting, fun rides, centuries, and training. It's a smooth operator and at $900 beats everything except for the nicest aluminum bikes I've ridden from the big name brands.

I no longer have the 29er MTB, but it was also a good bike. I won't say great because I did have some problems with it: rear hub, seat post, squeaky rear brake. All of these problems were resolved by email through BikesDirect support and at no cost to me. In each case they shipped out new replacement parts in 1-2 weeks. That's pretty damn good service, and makes up for some of the low end parts they put on the bike. I'm probably expecting too much out of a $600 bike! That being said, the main parts of the bike were very good: Tora SoloAir fork w/ motion control, SRAM X7 drive train, Avid Juicy 3 disc brakes. So for $600 it was a great deal and way better than I could find anywhere else at the time for a brand new bike.

I ended up selling it to buy a full suspension bike. The bike still worked great, but the trails I ride around here can be super rough and the hardtail just wasn't cutting it as I started to get faster and hit more difficult technical trails. I guess I just wussed out and got tired of my teeth rattling all the way downhill. I would have loved to keep the bike, because it was just killer on the smoother sections of trail, but the budget just wouldn't allow it.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Generally, internet brands won't give you any snob appeal. If you want the cool kids to like you, you'll need to spend extra money to 'upgrade' to the extra special sticker on the frame. I've found the 'big' brands are roughly 50% more expensive comparably equipped. Retail space overhead has to be covered somewhere...

I'm 4 for 4 in good experiences with BD/Performance Bike purchases. Admittedly, I might pay extra for a nice looking frame (I do like certain aesthetics), but I hardly expect magically improved performance out of a brand name frame vs a generic one.

You'll certainly get the opposite opinion out of a few that might feel compelled to justify their higher expenditures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Generally, internet brands won't give you any snob appeal. If you want the cool kids to like you, you'll need to spend extra money to 'upgrade' to the extra special sticker on the frame. I've found the 'big' brands are roughly 50% more expensive comparably equipped. Retail space overhead has to be covered somewhere...

I'm 4 for 4 in good experiences with BD/Performance Bike purchases. Admittedly, I might pay extra for a nice looking frame (I do like certain aesthetics), but I hardly expect magically improved performance out of a brand name frame vs a generic one.

You'll certainly get the opposite opinion out of a few that might feel compelled to justify their higher expenditures.

Not everybody wants or needs the big name bike brands, even if one of the big names happen to make the most spectacular bike on the planet in a given year. If you can get a bike which offers 90-95% of the performance from a source at 45-50% of the cost then that will be appealing to many people. Nothing wrong with that.

I also have run across just as many "dud" salespeople at a given LBS as I have when I have walked into a Performance Bike store. There are good and bad ones all over the place. It doesn't matter where you go. In the end their goal is to separate you from your money.

born to chill
    This rep thing is new to me, for my post above I got a negative reputation mark from someone with the comment "Some truth, but mostly not." Commenter didn't leave his/her name so I really can't reply, funny, that's like throwing a rock at someones back and hiding, anyway I have a hard time understanding how elating my personal experience earned me a negative rep point?

That aside, on topic, I honestly think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who was screwed over by bikesdirect, jenson, or any of their ilk. I also think there is a little confusion over brands, just because bikesdirect, jenson et al sells a bike, does not make it an internet only bike, or a non-major brand.

GT, KHS, Fuji, Specialized, Jamis, etc... all major brands, all available in retail stores. Both bikesdirect and Jenson have retail stores in fact, so the lines are blurred. And a bikesdirect has a lot of Motobecane bikes, which I often see in MTB Action, in race shots, etc... if they are an internet only brand, I had no idea at least, but they sure seem to do well with many awards.

I think buying online from a discount bike shop is a gamble, just as much as it is buying from a LBS. If you know what you want, and what size, I say go for it. Besides, this whole thing with painting the LBS as some sort of ultimate place for all things bike is generally bunk. For one thing, one of my LBS' is Performance bike... for another, most of my smaller LBS' don't stock much, and many times I've gone in looking for a part, they have to order it, and inflate the prices... well hell, if all they are going to do is internet order it and hike the price, I can just order it myself.

Local bike shops certainly have their place, but they aren't the be-all-end-all. I don't see anyone talking about car dealers like that. We all have a limited amount of funds and we all need to stretch them as far as we can to enjoy our hobby as much as we can. If that means learning to wrench, and getting more bang for your buck by getting things online, then do it. For some it might mean spending a lot of time at the LBS, making friends, and spending local money so they can get bro deals. While for many others, they may not have the time or patience to hang out trying to score deals they can just go get online.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club. I also got dinged with neg rep for posting in a BD thread. Don't get it. So some Positive rep to you to even it out.

Personally think this rep thing is a bad idea.

On with the thread I agree with your comment that the lines are blurred now. I have been to a bikesdirect store while visiting family in FL it was just like any other LBS. It just carried GT and Moto bikes.

Then on the flip side you have sites like speedgoat that sell Niner and others that are typically found in stores.

So why the issue? Find what seems to be a good deal to you and go ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Welcome to the club. I also got dinged with neg rep for posting in a BD thread. Don't get it. So some Positive rep to you to even it out.

Personally think this rep thing is a bad idea.

On with the thread I agree with your comment that the lines are blurred now. I have been to a bikesdirect store while visiting family in FL it was just like any other LBS. It just carried GT and Moto bikes.

Then on the flip side you have sites like speedgoat that sell Niner and others that are typically found in stores.

So why the issue? Find what seems to be a good deal to you and go ride!
    Darn you Subspd..I had already given him positive rep to even it out. Do I now have to go back and negative rep him just to keep things even?? Aaarghhhh...this rep stuff is maddening.

Okay Mr. Flowmaster...you win this round. I won't ding you negatively...this time. Just know that I'm on to your little game of trying to accumulate multiple "positive reps".

mtbr member
    Nice! Wow I just thought let me check my rep and I got hit TWO times for neg rep in this thread!!!

Mods can something be done? This is just plain bashing on people...

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Nice! Wow I just thought let me check my rep and I got hit TWO times for neg rep in this thread!!!

Mods can something be done? This is just plain bashing on people...
    Very nice thing that you guys did for flowM, you and wolfie. I +rep you both

I've neg rep people before but that's due to derailing the thread, obscene languages and trolling. Disagreement is not a good ground for neg rep. You just have to duke it out on the post to express your pov.

That brings me to your response. Yes in the way I agree that BD and PB can seem like a great deal but if you look up the component list on the bike it's not that great of a deal.

On their XTR built spec 2x10 they are not using a dyna-sys crank. They are not even using XTR cassette, they either use Ultegra or XT cassette as you know it's not the same XTR is a $300 cassette compare to $100 XT cassette. FSA cranks, even on the XX built they offer FSA cranks

Fork are just OEM Sid or Reba not close to top of the line price spec they were comparing to. Wheel set? It's another cheapy wheel with high MSRP.

Overall it's a fair price for most people, good price for some that don't want to waste the time shopping for parts and put it together. I can probably put together a higher end specs on the bike for the same or less it would take more shopping time but it can be done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have been lurking for a long time, so I guess it's time I post something.

I recently purchased a hard tail 29er from Performance. The bike was a Access Stealth 2.0 CF Frame. I went into the retail store to check out the bikes, test ride them, size the bike and write down the prices. After I was sure about the bike I wanted, I watched that bike on Performance.com everyday. I'm not kidding when I say the price would fluctuate weekly if not daily sometimes. The price eventually came down to $2199.00 which was the lowest I had seen it and almost $800.00 less than the retail stores price.

The sale price happened to be a few days before Performance offers double points which gives you 20% store credit back. I printed out the sale price from the website and then ordered the bike from the retail store. They honored the sale price (even though Performance changed the price before the double points weekend) and gave me the 20% which equaled over $400.00 in store credit. So I paid $2199.00 for the bike and received $400.00 in credit.

The bike was delivered to the store a week later. If you know what you want and watch the website religiously you can get very good deals. My experience was perfect and I believe I scored a great deal. I listed the specs on the bike below; you guys can decide if it was a good deal or not. P.S it's on sale again.. Anyway that's my story.

2011 Access Stealth 2.0 29er Mountain Bike
    CRANKSET: Shimano Deore XT, 42/32/24T, S-170mm, M-172.5mm, L-175mm
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano Deore XT
    BRAKES: Shimano Deore XT, 180mm rotor front, 160mm rotor rear
    CASSETTE: Shimano Deore XT, 10-speed, 11-36T
    CHAIN: Shimano HG94 super-narrow for 10-speed mtb
    FORK: Fox 32 F29 RL 100mm travel
    FRAME: Monocoque 12k weave carbon
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Deore XT
    GRIPS/TAPE: Velo dual-density
    HANDLEBAR: Carbon flat bar, 31.6mm
    HEADSET: Orbit IS IS-2 ACB 1 1/8" integrated
    LEVERS: Shimano XT
    PEDALS: NA
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Deore XT Shadow, 10-speed
    REAR SHOCK: NA
    SADDLE: Fizik Gobi XM k:lum
    SEATPOST: Alloy, 31.6, S-300mm, M-300mm, L-350mm
    SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore XT
    STEM: Alloy 2014 with carbon wrap; S-90mm, M-100mm, L-110mm, XL-120; 31.8 clamp diameter
    TIRES: Hutchinson Python NG tubeless-ready, 2.10, folding
    WHEELSET: Shimano MT75 Center Lock, tubleless-compatible clincher disc

T.W.O.
    [QUOTE=Greek66;8380038]

The sale price happened to be a few days before Performance offers double points which gives you 20% store credit back. I printed out the sale price from the website and then ordered the bike from the retail store. They honored the sale price (even though Performance changed the price before the double points weekend) and gave me the 20% which equaled over $400.00 in store credit. So I paid $2199.00 for the bike and received $400.00 in credit.

That's one of the perk that I like bout the performance bike. I bought several Intense frames when Supergo switch to performance I got discount and points. I had almost had a free bike If you are buying a complete bike at a decent price range, the points can actually cover all the tool and accessories you need for your bike.

born to chill
    You know, I was listening to npr the other day and they were talking about how traditional news sources have had to adapt to a new world over the last 15 years. There was a time when you really could get your news from only one of three major sources, radio, newspaper and the evening news, and that you really had to count on them to provide it. Because of that, advertisers could target audiences, and there was a lot of money there, but over time with the incorporation of the internet into daily lives, tv news dwindled, and newspaper sales fell quarter after quarter as internet news sources popped up. To stay alive in the new internet connected world, companies needed to adapt, and honestly that's exactly the same thing that is happening here with bike shops. The LBS is no longer the only place you can go to get a bike, you've got a lot of options.

They can basically either A) cup their hands over their ears and talk about days gone by, or they can B) adapt to the new world and still flourish. You can have a web presence *and* a storefront, you can charge marked up prices retail, but still offer deals through your website. The point is, the world is dynamic, things are constantly changing and now faster than ever before, to try to work off of some purely old school code where the only people to get discounts were a handful of people that hung out at the shop and go bro-deals for things at cost have long since past. Mail order was always a sticking point for the local LBS, well now that the internet is so prolific it is just the next phase. They can adapt and grow, or play ostrich and wither and die.

Steve Jobs got fired from Apple when he was 30 years old. He lamented it because it was at the time his single biggest failure, being fired from the very company he created. Well they ran it to sh~t and when near bankruptcy he came back, and turned Apple into essentially the most successful company in the world, even eclipsing Microsoft. What the local bike shops need to do is the same thing. Learn some lessons here, adapt to the new world and grow. I guess that was kind of a rant, but not really, more of an observation.

born to chill
    [QUOTE=mimi1885;8380692]
    Quote Originally Posted by Greek66 View Post

That's one of the perk that I like bout the performance bike. I bought several Intense frames when Supergo switch to performance I got discount and points. I had almost had a free bike If you are buying a complete bike at a decent price range, the points can actually cover all the tool and accessories you need for your bike.
    I never heard of that store credit thing, that is pretty damn cool, thx for the tip

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by flowmaster View Post

I never heard of that store credit thing, that is pretty damn cool, thx for the tip
    Yeah it's pretty cool I think they give you 5-10% back as points like miles. You can use it as cash toward your purchase or build it up.

OT, I'm so surprised that you are listening to NPR, your posts are very logical and well thought out unlike my experience listening to NPR, as they tend to be more bias

Some bike shop do what you are suggesting like Wheelworld, and Incycles. Sometime ago I bought a Giant Reign frame, in store only, for $400 brand new when the closest thing online is almost double that.

The example of BD that many refer to as an overinflated MSRP and comparison are the bogus name and unfair comparison(spec, and build). They have the captive audience mostly newbies, the people who knows better just ignore the ads but buy the practical HT with decent spec at a fair price. If they are so cheap because they buy direct I'd expect to see the GT Force to be much lower in price they are not only $100 cheaper than the price I found online(google) and most of the time from experience I can get the LBS to knock a few hundreds off their sales price which would be even cheaper than BD. If I'm in a market for a GT Force I know I can get it cheaper.

If you compare apples to apples then you can see the difference but in this case we are comparing apple to android it's another story sure you can pick up an android tablet that seems to come out with different model/brand everyday but the OS is dated and less performance even for their low price, it's not a fair comparison to the iPad(2) with build quality and apps availability. I'd pay more for the true performance not the one that need rooted. I buy a product so that they would do something for me not so that I can learn to use it(staying with apple moto).

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Yeah it's pretty cool I think they give you 5-10% back as points like miles. You can use it as cash toward your purchase or build it up.

OT, I'm so surprised that you are listening to NPR, your posts are very logical and well thought out unlike my experience listening to NPR, as they tend to be more bias

Some bike shop do what you are suggesting like Wheelworld, and Incycles. Sometime ago I bought a Giant Reign frame, in store only, for $400 brand new when the closest thing online is almost double that.

The example of BD that many refer to as an overinflated MSRP and comparison are the bogus name and unfair comparison(spec, and build). They have the captive audience mostly newbies, the people who knows better just ignore the ads but buy the practical HT with decent spec at a fair price. If they are so cheap because they buy direct I'd expect to see the GT Force to be much lower in price they are not only $100 cheaper than the price I found online(google) and most of the time from experience I can get the LBS to knock a few hundreds off their sales price which would be even cheaper than BD. If I'm in a market for a GT Force I know I can get it cheaper.

If you compare apples to apples then you can see the difference but in this case we are comparing apple to android it's another story sure you can pick up an android tablet that seems to come out with different model/brand everyday but the OS is dated and less performance even for their low price, it's not a fair comparison to the iPad(2) with build quality and apps availability. I'd pay more for the true performance not the one that need rooted. I buy a product so that they would do something for me not so that I can learn to use it(staying with apple moto).
    I only recently actually bought anything from Perf Bike, got a trail map of some stuff out in Tahoe in fact, I wondered why he wanted my name/phone, now I know, too cool.

Anyway, thx, I'm an NT so I usually try to observe and draw conclusions, that said I draw news from everything from Drudge to NPR, so I have the full spectrum, the truth is usually somewhere down the middle.

I think with BD and the new riders I look at it like this, generally, these are people who are willing to pay more than $150 at the local dept store, but not necc willing to blow up to or over $1k when just getting into something, so they are easier "targets". But for those of us that have been around for a while these places are great, we know what we want, we know what specs it should have and we know how to wrench at least to some degree. In fact, my BD order came in last night nice new Breezer Thunder Pro.

But for sure there are some shops that are adapting and doing well, like you said Wheel World, Perf Bikes, actually JensonUSA also. I get that the little LBS can't stock the same as the bigger guys, but they can create a dropship web presence or something like that, I mean my Breezer didn't even come from BD, it was drop shipped.

Anyway, I'm not gonna touch that Apple vs Android debate, but I will throw out that I do software development and work with both of them. I do have a favorite.

mtbr member
    Well for who ever gave me more neg rep I am no way trying to petition pos rep... Nothing is farther from the truth. But thanks for the neg rep and not saying who you are. I find it interesting that you feel I am the bad guy here when you are the one giving out random neg rep and not contributing to the thread or having the b@lls to say who you are while giving it.

On topic I received a Mo to FS 29er in the mail the other day for the wife and she likes it a lot, its an XT build, lower spec for a Moto but a good deal for the build. Again I will say this is not a STEAL but a very GOOD deal. The bike is HEAVY, a little too heavy for my tastes I haven't got it on a scale yet but it is over 30lb for sure. She likes it a lot but considering it is all XT/SLX specs the frame has got to be the culprit for the weight. First upgrade will be the wheels for sure but this is not uncommon, my Spesh will also be getting a wheel upgrade in the near future. But the bike is well built no doubt maybe a little too beefy for a 100mm travel bike but still it seems well thought out just that the rear linkage is heavy you can tell just from lifting it that it is rear heavy.

Hope this helps those thinking about this bike in particular. But it is also just a good thing to keep in mind with any of the online guys. You are getting a good deal BUT there will be some tradeoffs just make sure they are ones you don't mind making.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I bought a Gravity 29er Point 3 a couple of months ago.

I had been out of riding for about 8 years and had not at all kept up with trends. I hadn't even heard of 29ers before I started looking around. I also found that 29ers at my lbs started at a price that was out of my reach.

I found Bikes Direct through a google search and thought it over for a good while. I was suspicious of a few things; mainly that they do not have a phone #. I sent a few emails and found their responses to be quick, but only marginally helpful. I was looking for some help on choosing a front fork and was forwarded the pages for major fork manufacturers, which I had already read several times and are mostly useless.

I studied the geometry of the bikes and consulted an avid rider friend about components. I went to Nashbar and Performance Bike and added up just the cost of components (found on the Point 3) and found that they could not be bought for the price of the complete bike.

SO... I pulled the trigger.

WARNING... Your bike will be shipped in the same box that gets send to the lbs. The only difference is that unless you live down the street from the lbs your bike will be the only one that's on the truck and the UPS folks probably won't realize it's a bike. By the looks of my box and bike, it spent its entire journey on one side labeled this side up, with something heavy laying one the other side labeled this side up. The result; completely wrecked useless wheels. BD did send new wheel sets, but I had to swap the rear gears and buy a new tube. This set my first ride back by exactly one week.

Since then I love the bike. Bottom line... if you feel comfortable fitting and setting up your bike go for it. You may have to be patient, but they will take care of you.

no shoes no shirt no dice
    Does anyone know if the decals on their bikes peel off easily or are they covered in clear coat like some bikes are?

I'm thinking of buying one of their bikes to use it as a trainer/commuter but would like to debrand it to reduce the likelihood of theft.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sorry about the necropost but I was just searching for information on new bikes as my 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper was stolen yesterday and I have a $1000 deductible on my insurance so another Stumpjumper just won't happen

Being 6' 6" tall and needing at least a 21" bike I almost have to use online companies as no local store has anything my size and nobody really wants to order it for me to test ride.

I found the Breezer Thunder Pro on BD and placed my order this morning.

flowmaster,
    Can you tell me how you like yours since I see you got one? It closely matches the geometry of my Stumpjumper but does have about a 1" shorter top tube length which is fine as I always thought the Stumpjumper was a bit long for me even though I am 6' 6" tall it seems I am mostly legs

I haven't heard much about Breezer but from what I could find I hope it's a nice bike.

I have bought on eBay (actually where I got my Stumpjumper) but I have also had some really bad experiences there too.

I'm happy to be on this site btw as I lurked all of the time!

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Why do you care about neg/pos rep points so much.

Anyways, I'm an avid Performance bike shop fan (shop there frequently and have purchased 3 bikes from them so far) AND a have purchased my main mtb from BikesDirect: 15.5" ti Fantom Pro.

Performance rocks if you find a good one local to you (I know there are some bad ones). Their membership points system actually is pretty darn decent. Combined with their sale prices, you can get some pretty good deals that compete and often beat online prices. Every time I visit other mom and pop bike shops, I'm usually reminded as to why I keep going back to Performance. Their prices are insane - we are talking full MSRP on virtually everything! Who pays full msrp? If you walked in to a car dealership and purchased a car at full msrp, you are a sucker.

I also purchase a lot gear from Blueskycycling, JensonUSA and occasionally Pricepoint & Bikebling. Oh and o2gearshop seems to have some good prices too, at least whats on clearance, you might want to check em out.

As far as my BD experience. Overall it has been a pleasant experience and I think what they bring to the plate is good value and good support (as good as it can be for an online only retailer).

There is one thing that severely urks me about BD is they told me removing the decals would void my bike's 5yr frame warranty. Now that just doesn't sit well with me. Its just a flippin' sticker for Christ sake. I happen to love how brushed raw titanium looks and I would love to give my bike that clean look by removing those stickers. To have BD not honor my warranty if my frame breaks because I removed the Motobecane sticker is just ridiculous and quite frankly... shady and offensive.

So with that single fact alone. I no longer recommend them. But that's just me and I'm particular and weird like that. I've been told I get hung up on "the principle' of things so I fully admit this maybe a non-issue to others. So if you can look past that, I think they can serve your needs well.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Oh and subspd, the person who's giving out neg reps on this thread is just your neighborhood forum troll. He neg rep'd me too with the following message:

"you're a twit giving opinions on things you have little knowledge of"

This is why I was asking, why do you care?

Welcome to the internet.

It's just your regular pimp-faced, 110-lbs-soaking-wet 15 yr old with nothing better to do.
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    You realize subspd's comment was from back in August, right? Second, BD threads often cause(d) -rep which was the source of his frustration. Last, your mentioning the repping is just like subspd.

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by jlficken View Post
    Sorry about the necropost but I was just searching for information on new bikes as my 2005 Specialized Stumpjumper was stolen yesterday and I have a $1000 deductible on my insurance so another Stumpjumper just won't happen

Being 6' 6" tall and needing at least a 21" bike I almost have to use online companies as no local store has anything my size and nobody really wants to order it for me to test ride.

I found the Breezer Thunder Pro on BD and placed my order this morning.

flowmaster,
    Can you tell me how you like yours since I see you got one? It closely matches the geometry of my Stumpjumper but does have about a 1" shorter top tube length which is fine as I always thought the Stumpjumper was a bit long for me even though I am 6' 6" tall it seems I am mostly legs

I haven't heard much about Breezer but from what I could find I hope it's a nice bike.

I have bought on eBay (actually where I got my Stumpjumper) but I have also had some really bad experiences there too.

I'm happy to be on this site btw as I lurked all of the time!

I've been riding it several times a week since I got it, up until about 2 weeks ago, work was hectic and then I got a cold for the second week, but got back into my rhythm again this week. In another month or so I was planning on doing an in depth review of the whole bike, how it is setup, etc. but I wanted to hit another few key trails first.

I'm 5'11, and I have the M 18.5" top tube, which to me is a near exact fit for my leg/arm lengths. I have Kona flat pedals on it, which I tried out Power Straps on for a while, but I've since ditched them; the attached feeling had pros and cons, but generally the cons outweighed the pros for me and I wasn't really getting that much benefit, though the bike ships sans pedals anyway.

Overall this is an absolutely fantastic bike and setup and I am extremely happy with it. The geometry works well for the trails I frequently ride, it has sharp steering, but still handles downhills with aplomb. The remote lockout on the forks is killer, I use it on every ride, off and on the entire time. Smooth rolling hardpack, lockout.. climbing, lockout... starting to hit something rocky, just lean my wrist in and I've got suspension again. The Fox forks are killer, I'm not sure what you had on your Stumpy but I've mostly had Marzochi forks, setup for big hits, this was my first Fox air shock and man is it awesome. Soaks up hits like a desert race truck, I love it. In fact, after that experience, I went with a 140 Float for my Diamondback XTS AM build I'm doing right now.

The bike is super light to me, but maybe middle road as far as xc/am hardtail bikes go at around 25ish lbs. The stock saddle kinda blows imo, I replaced it with a WTB Speed V, which I generally use on my bikes anyway, also threw one on the AM build. ~$30 anywhere, I got mine at a local Performance Bike. The frame is fairly stiff feeling in the back, which is good. I can't say why, maybe it has to do with the tubing, or the dropouts, or the brakes being inside the triangle, but it definitely feels stiffer to me than most of the other aluminum hardtails I've ridden, which is not a bad thing it just is.

The stock tires are very mild as far as traction goes, I normally run 2.35 high rollers, and in a 2.1 I like Velociraptors, which to be fair have an extremely aggressive tread, but the stock tires definitely are designed with less rolling resistance in mind. Honestly they do fine, but on steep sandy uphills, expect that rear to slip a bit. The stock grips are lockons, but the rubber is uber soft, it took no time at all to tear them, but they are holding up, so... the wheelset is pretty mediocre, they've got some flex to them and you can feel it in the turns, and if you do anything high speed on the road you'll feel it in the entire bike. Locked out, between 30 and 35 mph road downhill, a slight shake on the bars and the wheelset goes haywire, so keep it in mind. On the dirt it isn't a huge deal, if anything a little flex is good as you feel them conform to the track, kind of like a skin on frame kayak conforms to the waves for a smoother ride, vs a stiff one crashing through them, best way I can explain it.

The riding posture seems good, and generally it seems to keep your weight spread out over the front and rear well enough that you don't spin the back or lose traction in the front on most things, standing included. The rapid fire shifters are smooth, fast and spot on, the cranks are stiff and creak free and you never feel like you're working against the bike, it feels very natural to ride unlike some others I've ridden. The brakes are very smooth and they have a great progressively increasing bite as you get on them. The component selection works very well on this bike, and the frame feels like just the right combination of stiffness where it matters and intelligent design (Breeze dropouts, rear brake protected in triangle, formed ridgelines at seat tube and on downtube at headtube area for example) and it has that awesome art deco paint job to boot.

This bike has done Rockville, the Rubicon Trail, local AM/XC trails like Salmon Falls and the Lake Natoma loop, so it has seen everything from beginner smooth singletrack, to expert level rocky terrain and so far it has tackled everything just fine, including some very fast, very rocky downhills stretches and depending on the snow it might be seeing Downieville today or tomorrow.

So I guess I was long winded in my reply, but I have only good things to say about this bike, I think you made a good choice, and I think you'll love yours as well.
    Last edited by flowmaster; 11-12-2011 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Great write up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    flowmaster,

WOW!! Thank you very much for that detailed review!!! I actually got a tracking number this morning and it looks like mine will be here Wednesday and I can't wait to stop walking to work

I was actually putting a crankset and rear derailleur on my wife's new Stumpjumper this morning and while do so thought how unfair it was that she has 3 bikes and I don't have any right now I would have put on the front derailleur but Specialized had a typo (they put M581 instead of M580) on their online specs and I bought the wrong one so I'll have to wait until the correct one shows up Until I started researching last night I didn't know what exactly all of the different configurations were and had just ordered what was printed on their site.

My Stumpjumper had a Fox F80RL so I know exactly what you mean about them being awesome and that was a big part of the reason I wanted this bike. Be prepared though to change out the seals and wipers after 2 years as mine started leaking It wasn't that painful but was time consuming since I hadn't done it before and be cautious with all of the aluminum threads as I almost messed mine up. I put Enduro Seals in it and it was fine for the last 18 months until it was stolen

I can't say as though I am real hard on bikes and don't do a ton of trail riding but I have learned that a good fork, derailleurs, and brakes are a must have to limit the amount of frustration incurred since I ride it daily. I will definitely be trying to get to some better trails once I get my wife's bike done though.

I hadn't even thought about the difference that the brake caliper placement could make so I am anxious to see how this bike compares to my Stumpjumper.

Thanks again for the review.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6 View Post
    You realize subspd's comment was from back in August, right? Second, BD threads often cause(d) -rep which was the source of his frustration. Last, your mentioning the repping is just like subspd.
    I didn't realized, no - my bad. And that's weird that bd threads often cause neg rep. Why is there so much hate towards bikes direct? And I can see why you might think my comment on my rep is the same as subspd and I even thought about that before posting it but I disagree. Seeing as to how riled up he was about it, I thought I might give him perspective on internet trolls in case he was new to that concept. Of course, I couldn't just end it without a shot back towards our forum trolls, especially because it's true.

Anyway, not to continue to throw this off-topic. Great review Flowmaster. That inspires me to do an extensive review on my BD bike as well. Purchasing my bike from them definitely did not come without incident and I've seen a few others ask about how the new lower-priced ti 29er from BD is so perhaps it's worth a write up. Although as Caroina says, I'll probably get a few more neg reps for doing so but what can ya' do... haters gonna hate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie1992 View Post
    Darn you Subspd..I had already given him positive rep to even it out. Do I now have to go back and negative rep him just to keep things even?? Aaarghhhh...this rep stuff is maddening.
    lol, me too

I have had great experiences with both BD and Performance. In fact I recently bought an Access 29er frame to build with parts from my Windsor cliff pro.
    Last edited by 2002maniac; 11-13-2011 at 08:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My Breezer Thunder Pro showed up today thanks to my UPS guy and I am very happy after unpacking it. There was an "accordion" on the box but the contents were are safe and sound so I am quite happy with the packaging and it took less than a week to get it as well. I can't wait to get it together and go for a ride!! Hopefully it fits me well. Thanks again Bikes Direct!!

I was kind of surprised that I have to put on the front caliper but I have the tools and can read instructions so that shouldn't be a huge deal.

I will put it together tonight and give some post ride impression for anyone interested.
    Last edited by jlficken; 11-18-2011 at 01:17 PM.

born to chill
    Quote Originally Posted by jlficken View Post
    My Breezer Thunder Pro showed up today thanks to my UPS guy and I am very happy after unpacking it. There was an "accordion" on the box but the contents were are safe and sound so I am quite happy with the packaging and it took less than a week to get it as well. I can't wait to get it together and go for a ride!! Hopefully it fits me well. Thanks again Bikes Direct!!

I was kind of surprised that I have to put on the front caliper but I have the tools and can read instructions so that shouldn't be a huge deal.

I will put it together tonight and give some post ride impression for anyone interested.
    Caliper is uber simple to install. I can post the pictures if you want to send them to me. unrealtrip at yahoo

mtbr member
    If you shop around and research online, you would probably get just about the same price if you're comparing apple to apple. Having said that, I like the customer service from performancebikes. There is 1 performancebikes store where I live and they give me lifetime free adjustment (not that I ever need one, I tend to adjust things myself, however it is nice to have that kind of service, it just gives me peace of mind). Sometimes they have certain bike models on sale and that is usually 10%-15% less than other stores.

If you're buying parts, this is when you really need to research online. Most but not always, performancebikes prices are a little higher.

I have no experience with bikesdirect.com, so I can't comment on that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nponto View Post
    If you're buying parts, this is when you really need to research online. Most but not always, performancebikes prices are a little higher.
    If you can go into a Performance they will price match any advertised price as long as the store has a real "brick and mortar" store front in the US. To top that off on Tuesdays from 11-2 or thereabout they take an additional 10% off all purchases. On top of that, if you are a Team Performance member ($30/yr) you get 10% back in store credit, that is available to use within 24 hrs.!

They also have awesome customer service. I just returned a saddle bag that the clip broke on and they just even exchanged it without a receipt. No questions asked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I love performance. Watch their ads every day. Right now check out the Access 9.9 for $1400.00. Rockshox RL, CrossMax wheels, Elixer CR brakes, X9 drivetrain. 10% off food drive, 10% credit for team member, basically $1200 build kit.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carrlf View Post
    They use over inflated msrps in my opinion. If you look at a comparable model through other companies you will see about the same price. I might be wrong but thats just what I have seen.[<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/7bb9f65" vspale=0></iframe>
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/3k3bwes" vspale=0></iframe>
    I feel the same way

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    flowmaster, thanks for the offer but I got it on correctly following the directions and using my trusty Snap-On dial in/lb torque wrench.

Overall I really LOVE the bike. It may be a little small but it is no worse than the Stumpjumper I had and I just swapped seatposts with my road bike so that I could raise my saddle more than the 350mm stock post would allow while still keeping it within the min insertion range.

The brakes are still bedding in but I got the derailleurs adjusted and other than needing to have the front wheel trued all is well. I'm still playing with the setup to get it to fit me correctly but it is one heck of a bike for the money.

gridtalker,

I just did some quick addition and not counting the frame the components alone come up to $1775 online plus assembly/tool costs so I really don't think that the MSRP at least in the case of my bike was really out of line.