Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Bikesdirect.com and performancebike.com. Good deal or too good to be true?

I would love to hear from those who have bought complete bikes from bikesdirect.com or performancebike.com. Was it a good experience? Any complaints? Why are they able to sell new bikes for so much cheaper than msrp? I'm looking at some hardtail 29'ers on these sites and wondering if the deals are too good to be true without some "catch."

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They use over inflated msrps in my opinion. If you look at a comparable model through other companies you will see about the same price. I might be wrong but thats just what I have seen.

is turning a big gear
    Oct 2009
    +1 on the overinflated MSRP.

Performance sometimes has stuff pretty cheap on clearance sometimes.

There are a millions threads on bikesdirect out there.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I ordered a 29er from Nashbar.com which is owned by performance and everything was great. The price could not be beat when they run one of there 15% off everything or Free shipping. Wait for one of those deals to come around and buy your bike.

mtbr member
    They may have over inflated MSRP but their final sale prices are very good.

born to chill
    Bike is a bike, doesn't really matter where it came from if it is the brand/style/whatever you're after.

I see a lot of griping about bikes being made available from online retailers at a great price, I honestly don't see what the problem is, besides this is nothing new at all. Mail order has historically beaten down the LBS when it comes to prices.

A lot of these places show unrealistic MSRP, but like Boomer said, that's a little beside the point because their end price is generally really pretty good.

I've used jensonusa and performance bike before, and just recently in fact, I have an order coming from bikesdirect right now. I've never had a bad experience.
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    They may have over inflated MSRP but their final sale prices are very good.
    Yep good deal no matter how you look at it. I'm a satisfied customer...

mtbr member
    I bought a hardtail 29er from BikesDirect about 4 years ago and I was real happy with it. I replaced the wheels and all of a sudden it was my favorite bike. The drivetrain cables have too much slack, but just cut them down before you adjust everything; it will look great.

I actually just bought their FS 29er and I am selling my HT29er that I bought from them and my Trek Remedy 6.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Purchased a Diamondback Overdrive 29er from Nashbar.com (owned by Performancebike) and was quite pleased with it. Had a 20% off coupon that made it a good deal. The bike had a failed rear derailleur and BB within the first three months but they quickly sent me replacement parts. however, compared to the other bikes they sell, that is the only good deal I have seen. The rest of the bikes have overinflated MSRP's as stated above. Don't think the MSRP's at your LBS are not negotiable because they most definitely are. Buying last years models in Oct-Dec will usually get you the best deals. Remember, most of this stuff is made overseas... Don't think in american dollars, think in chinese dollars.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    do all you guys that order from them do your own set ups?

mtbr member
    I do my own setups but most shops will do it for you for under $100

T.W.O.
    Good deal? or too good to be true?

How about you get what you paid for.

They are not good nor bad, it's valued at a fair price and over inflate the msrp to create an attractive sales banner, no more no less.

mtbr member
    I had about a 9 yr break in riding when I bought my first BD bike in the Spring of 2010. I actually joined this site because I had bought a new bike not the other way around.

The lbs set my 700HT up. Rode it for about a year then I upgraded to a 2011 Fly Pro also from BD. I set this one up. This is a sweet 26" HT. It's made me realize I might be a closet WW.

So from my perspective BD offers a good value for HT bikes. They may not be perfect for everyone but I like them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Good deal? or too good to be true?

How about you get what you paid for.

They are not good nor bad, it's valued at a fair price and over inflate the msrp to create an attractive sales banner, no more no less.
    I would say it's a little better than fair... It's a good deal. Not some crazy steal but if you really shop you won't beat the price.

That said I have no experience with their FS bikes I ride Specialized FSR's but the HT I got from them was a very good deal.

mtbr member
    As others have said, ignore the MSRP on BikesDirect. They ARE the manufacturer, AND the retailer so this doesn't make sense except from a marketing perspective. The price you pay is what to look at, and compare components to other bikes at the same price point.

I've bought two bikes from them: an ultegra equipped aluminum road bike (Windsor Knight), and a hardtail 29er MTB (Windsor Cliff 29er Pro). You can find my review and experience here on mtbr: Windsor Cliff 29R Pro - Build Thread and Ride Report .

My review and experience on the Windsor Knight bike is here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/mot...ht-204524.html

In general, the road bike has been fantastic. I've replaced the chain twice over the last 1.5 years, and put about 3,000 miles on it between commuting, fun rides, centuries, and training. It's a smooth operator and at $900 beats everything except for the nicest aluminum bikes I've ridden from the big name brands.

I no longer have the 29er MTB, but it was also a good bike. I won't say great because I did have some problems with it: rear hub, seat post, squeaky rear brake. All of these problems were resolved by email through BikesDirect support and at no cost to me. In each case they shipped out new replacement parts in 1-2 weeks. That's pretty damn good service, and makes up for some of the low end parts they put on the bike. I'm probably expecting too much out of a $600 bike! That being said, the main parts of the bike were very good: Tora SoloAir fork w/ motion control, SRAM X7 drive train, Avid Juicy 3 disc brakes. So for $600 it was a great deal and way better than I could find anywhere else at the time for a brand new bike.

I ended up selling it to buy a full suspension bike. The bike still worked great, but the trails I ride around here can be super rough and the hardtail just wasn't cutting it as I started to get faster and hit more difficult technical trails. I guess I just wussed out and got tired of my teeth rattling all the way downhill. I would have loved to keep the bike, because it was just killer on the smoother sections of trail, but the budget just wouldn't allow it.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Generally, internet brands won't give you any snob appeal. If you want the cool kids to like you, you'll need to spend extra money to 'upgrade' to the extra special sticker on the frame. I've found the 'big' brands are roughly 50% more expensive comparably equipped. Retail space overhead has to be covered somewhere...

I'm 4 for 4 in good experiences with BD/Performance Bike purchases. Admittedly, I might pay extra for a nice looking frame (I do like certain aesthetics), but I hardly expect magically improved performance out of a brand name frame vs a generic one.

You'll certainly get the opposite opinion out of a few that might feel compelled to justify their higher expenditures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Generally, internet brands won't give you any snob appeal. If you want the cool kids to like you, you'll need to spend extra money to 'upgrade' to the extra special sticker on the frame. I've found the 'big' brands are roughly 50% more expensive comparably equipped. Retail space overhead has to be covered somewhere...

I'm 4 for 4 in good experiences with BD/Performance Bike purchases. Admittedly, I might pay extra for a nice looking frame (I do like certain aesthetics), but I hardly expect magically improved performance out of a brand name frame vs a generic one.

You'll certainly get the opposite opinion out of a few that might feel compelled to justify their higher expenditures.

Not everybody wants or needs the big name bike brands, even if one of the big names happen to make the most spectacular bike on the planet in a given year. If you can get a bike which offers 90-95% of the performance from a source at 45-50% of the cost then that will be appealing to many people. Nothing wrong with that.

I also have run across just as many "dud" salespeople at a given LBS as I have when I have walked into a Performance Bike store. There are good and bad ones all over the place. It doesn't matter where you go. In the end their goal is to separate you from your money.

born to chill
    This rep thing is new to me, for my post above I got a negative reputation mark from someone with the comment "Some truth, but mostly not." Commenter didn't leave his/her name so I really can't reply, funny, that's like throwing a rock at someones back and hiding, anyway I have a hard time understanding how elating my personal experience earned me a negative rep point?

That aside, on topic, I honestly think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who was screwed over by bikesdirect, jenson, or any of their ilk. I also think there is a little confusion over brands, just because bikesdirect, jenson et al sells a bike, does not make it an internet only bike, or a non-major brand.

GT, KHS, Fuji, Specialized, Jamis, etc... all major brands, all available in retail stores. Both bikesdirect and Jenson have retail stores in fact, so the lines are blurred. And a bikesdirect has a lot of Motobecane bikes, which I often see in MTB Action, in race shots, etc... if they are an internet only brand, I had no idea at least, but they sure seem to do well with many awards.

I think buying online from a discount bike shop is a gamble, just as much as it is buying from a LBS. If you know what you want, and what size, I say go for it. Besides, this whole thing with painting the LBS as some sort of ultimate place for all things bike is generally bunk. For one thing, one of my LBS' is Performance bike... for another, most of my smaller LBS' don't stock much, and many times I've gone in looking for a part, they have to order it, and inflate the prices... well hell, if all they are going to do is internet order it and hike the price, I can just order it myself.

Local bike shops certainly have their place, but they aren't the be-all-end-all. I don't see anyone talking about car dealers like that. We all have a limited amount of funds and we all need to stretch them as far as we can to enjoy our hobby as much as we can. If that means learning to wrench, and getting more bang for your buck by getting things online, then do it. For some it might mean spending a lot of time at the LBS, making friends, and spending local money so they can get bro deals. While for many others, they may not have the time or patience to hang out trying to score deals they can just go get online.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club. I also got dinged with neg rep for posting in a BD thread. Don't get it. So some Positive rep to you to even it out.

Personally think this rep thing is a bad idea.

On with the thread I agree with your comment that the lines are blurred now. I have been to a bikesdirect store while visiting family in FL it was just like any other LBS. It just carried GT and Moto bikes.

Then on the flip side you have sites like speedgoat that sell Niner and others that are typically found in stores.

So why the issue? Find what seems to be a good deal to you and go ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Welcome to the club. I also got dinged with neg rep for posting in a BD thread. Don't get it. So some Positive rep to you to even it out.

Personally think this rep thing is a bad idea.

On with the thread I agree with your comment that the lines are blurred now. I have been to a bikesdirect store while visiting family in FL it was just like any other LBS. It just carried GT and Moto bikes.

Then on the flip side you have sites like speedgoat that sell Niner and others that are typically found in stores.

So why the issue? Find what seems to be a good deal to you and go ride!
    Darn you Subspd..I had already given him positive rep to even it out. Do I now have to go back and negative rep him just to keep things even?? Aaarghhhh...this rep stuff is maddening.

Okay Mr. Flowmaster...you win this round. I won't ding you negatively...this time. Just know that I'm on to your little game of trying to accumulate multiple "positive reps".

mtbr member
    Nice! Wow I just thought let me check my rep and I got hit TWO times for neg rep in this thread!!!

Mods can something be done? This is just plain bashing on people...

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by subspd View Post
    Nice! Wow I just thought let me check my rep and I got hit TWO times for neg rep in this thread!!!

Mods can something be done? This is just plain bashing on people...
    Very nice thing that you guys did for flowM, you and wolfie. I +rep you both

I've neg rep people before but that's due to derailing the thread, obscene languages and trolling. Disagreement is not a good ground for neg rep. You just have to duke it out on the post to express your pov.

That brings me to your response. Yes in the way I agree that BD and PB can seem like a great deal but if you look up the component list on the bike it's not that great of a deal.

On their XTR built spec 2x10 they are not using a dyna-sys crank. They are not even using XTR cassette, they either use Ultegra or XT cassette as you know it's not the same XTR is a $300 cassette compare to $100 XT cassette. FSA cranks, even on the XX built they offer FSA cranks

Fork are just OEM Sid or Reba not close to top of the line price spec they were comparing to. Wheel set? It's another cheapy wheel with high MSRP.

Overall it's a fair price for most people, good price for some that don't want to waste the time shopping for parts and put it together. I can probably put together a higher end specs on the bike for the same or less it would take more shopping time but it can be done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have been lurking for a long time, so I guess it's time I post something.

I recently purchased a hard tail 29er from Performance. The bike was a Access Stealth 2.0 CF Frame. I went into the retail store to check out the bikes, test ride them, size the bike and write down the prices. After I was sure about the bike I wanted, I watched that bike on Performance.com everyday. I'm not kidding when I say the price would fluctuate weekly if not daily sometimes. The price eventually came down to $2199.00 which was the lowest I had seen it and almost $800.00 less than the retail stores price.

The sale price happened to be a few days before Performance offers double points which gives you 20% store credit back. I printed out the sale price from the website and then ordered the bike from the retail store. They honored the sale price (even though Performance changed the price before the double points weekend) and gave me the 20% which equaled over $400.00 in store credit. So I paid $2199.00 for the bike and received $400.00 in credit.

The bike was delivered to the store a week later. If you know what you want and watch the website religiously you can get very good deals. My experience was perfect and I believe I scored a great deal. I listed the specs on the bike below; you guys can decide if it was a good deal or not. P.S it's on sale again.. Anyway that's my story.

2011 Access Stealth 2.0 29er Mountain Bike
    CRANKSET: Shimano Deore XT, 42/32/24T, S-170mm, M-172.5mm, L-175mm
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano Deore XT
    BRAKES: Shimano Deore XT, 180mm rotor front, 160mm rotor rear
    CASSETTE: Shimano Deore XT, 10-speed, 11-36T
    CHAIN: Shimano HG94 super-narrow for 10-speed mtb
    FORK: Fox 32 F29 RL 100mm travel
    FRAME: Monocoque 12k weave carbon
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Deore XT
    GRIPS/TAPE: Velo dual-density
    HANDLEBAR: Carbon flat bar, 31.6mm
    HEADSET: Orbit IS IS-2 ACB 1 1/8" integrated
    LEVERS: Shimano XT
    PEDALS: NA
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Deore XT Shadow, 10-speed
    REAR SHOCK: NA
    SADDLE: Fizik Gobi XM k:lum
    SEATPOST: Alloy, 31.6, S-300mm, M-300mm, L-350mm
    SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore XT
    STEM: Alloy 2014 with carbon wrap; S-90mm, M-100mm, L-110mm, XL-120; 31.8 clamp diameter
    TIRES: Hutchinson Python NG tubeless-ready, 2.10, folding
    WHEELSET: Shimano MT75 Center Lock, tubleless-compatible clincher disc

T.W.O.
    [QUOTE=Greek66;8380038]

The sale price happened to be a few days before Performance offers double points which gives you 20% store credit back. I printed out the sale price from the website and then ordered the bike from the retail store. They honored the sale price (even though Performance changed the price before the double points weekend) and gave me the 20% which equaled over $400.00 in store credit. So I paid $2199.00 for the bike and received $400.00 in credit.

That's one of the perk that I like bout the performance bike. I bought several Intense frames when Supergo switch to performance I got discount and points. I had almost had a free bike If you are buying a complete bike at a decent price range, the points can actually cover all the tool and accessories you need for your bike.

born to chill
    You know, I was listening to npr the other day and they were talking about how traditional news sources have had to adapt to a new world over the last 15 years. There was a time when you really could get your news from only one of three major sources, radio, newspaper and the evening news, and that you really had to count on them to provide it. Because of that, advertisers could target audiences, and there was a lot of money there, but over time with the incorporation of the internet into daily lives, tv news dwindled, and newspaper sales fell quarter after quarter as internet news sources popped up. To stay alive in the new internet connected world, companies needed to adapt, and honestly that's exactly the same thing that is happening here with bike shops. The LBS is no longer the only place you can go to get a bike, you've got a lot of options.

They can basically either A) cup their hands over their ears and talk about days gone by, or they can B) adapt to the new world and still flourish. You can have a web presence *and* a storefront, you can charge marked up prices retail, but still offer deals through your website. The point is, the world is dynamic, things are constantly changing and now faster than ever before, to try to work off of some purely old school code where the only people to get discounts were a handful of people that hung out at the shop and go bro-deals for things at cost have long since past. Mail order was always a sticking point for the local LBS, well now that the internet is so prolific it is just the next phase. They can adapt and grow, or play ostrich and wither and die.

Steve Jobs got fired from Apple when he was 30 years old. He lamented it because it was at the time his single biggest failure, being fired from the very company he created. Well they ran it to sh~t and when near bankruptcy he came back, and turned Apple into essentially the most successful company in the world, even eclipsing Microsoft. What the local bike shops need to do is the same thing. Learn some lessons here, adapt to the new world and grow. I guess that was kind of a rant, but not really, more of an observation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast