mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Biker Bob: Authorized SRAM Dealer?

I've heard many raved reviews of Biker Bob (bikerbob.com) through this forum so I'm looking forward to getting some quotes from him. However, when I called SRAM to ask if Bob is an authorized SRAM dealer, one of SRAM's tech said that they may not warranty anything from Bob. Has any customers of Bob have to warranty their parts and what did the manufacturer said? Thank you.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Bikerbob.com isn't the name of his brick and mortar shop so I'm sure the sram rep just gave you the boilerplate answer. You just need to know the actual name of his shop and his distributor, which bob will gladly give you upon request.

And yes, I had sram repair a fork under warranty that I bought from him. No problems at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Bikerbob.com isn't the name of his brick and mortar shop so I'm sure the sram rep just gave you the boilerplate answer. You just need to know the actual name of his shop and his distributor, which bob will gladly give you upon request.

And yes, I had sram repair a fork under warranty that I bought from him. No problems at all.
    Thanks 92gli. I'll ask Bob for his shop and distributor. If you don't mind me asking, when you bought your fork from Bob, what was the name of the seller on your receipt? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    He warrantied my shimano brakes for me and everything worked out fine. Hes a great guy to deal with.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt View Post
    Thanks 92gli. I'll ask Bob for his shop and distributor. If you don't mind me asking, when you bought your fork from Bob, what was the name of the seller on your receipt? Thanks.
    I don't remember. I think the receipt was just the paypal confirmation.

Sram didn't ask for a receipt. They just asked for sale date and the shop name. A local shop got the repair authorization and shipped it off for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't remember. I think the receipt was just the paypal confirmation.

Sram didn't ask for a receipt. They just asked for sale date and the shop name. A local shop got the repair authorization and shipped it off for me.
    Usually the Paypal receipt has the name and contact information of the seller. However, it doesn't matter now. Bob didn't like that I contacted SRAM so we no longer has a business relationship. Thank you all for your input.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Out of curiosity, why would you not ask him first and then see what and how he answers?
    I have ordered one thing from him and I was a pain to have my product shipped to. He was always pleasant and responded quickly to my questions.

Eric

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Usually the Paypal receipt has the name and contact information of the seller. However, it doesn't matter now. Bob didn't like that I contacted SRAM so we no longer has a business relationship. Thank you all for your input.
    I dont know Bob personally but I have dealt with him several times and had a couple of friends buy stuff from him and no one has had any problem with him or his service. I imagine there is more to the situation than you just contacting sram about him being an authorized dealer, I could be wrong though but it just doesnt sound like bob to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    Out of curiosity, why would you not ask him first and then see what and how he answers?
    I have ordered one thing from him and I was a pain to have my product shipped to. He was always pleasant and responded quickly to my questions.

Eric
    I wanted to verify his claim and SRAM was the best way to do that. I didn't want to take any chances since I was prepared to spend at least $1,500 on forks, headsets and spare parts. The Lyrik Dual Position tends to have problems so I needed the assurance that SRAM would warranty it if anything happens. Maybe what I did wasn't kosher. But neither way I would have needed to verify his information with SRAM. To each his own.

mtbr member
    He sells below msrp, it's the risk we take when being a cheap skate. If this was so important, why not by from a lbs? Hopefully this does not screw up his supply.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by carrlf View Post
    I dont know Bob personally but I have dealt with him several times and had a couple of friends buy stuff from him and no one has had any problem with him or his service. I imagine there is more to the situation than you just contacting sram about him being an authorized dealer, I could be wrong though but it just doesnt sound like bob to me.
    With anything online, it's hard to verify what someone is saying. It's a he said she said kind of thing. Of course I could post the emails between Bob and me, but that's a bit much. I was looking forward to dealing with Bob based on MTBR reviews and he did offered the best prices out of several sellers. If you're looking for the best price, I suggest contacting him. I, however, need assurance for my hard-earned money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    He sells below msrp, it's the risk we take when being a cheap skate. If this was so important, why not by from a lbs? Hopefully this does not screw up his supply.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
    There are others that sell below MSRP that are verifiable authorized dealers, especially when most MSRPs are a joke. Maybe they're not cheaper than Bob. To each his own. I too hope I didn't screw up his business.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

You didn't check with Biker Bob first?!?!
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post

You didn't check with Biker Bob first?!?!
    1. Asked Bob if he's an authorized SRAM dealer. He said Yes.
    2. Called SRAM and they said he's not.
    3. Asked Bob about SRAM's comment. He didn't like that I called SRAM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Well, what you didn't understand was that being an authorized dealer has different meanings for different companies.

Sram has distributors that sell to shops. The distributor is really the authorized dealer - the shop you buy from is merely an extension of them. You can't get an account with a distributor unless you have a legit locations and business license. Sram doesn't verify every one of the thousands of mom and pop shops in every corner of the country.

Theres a lot of sellers out there, especially on ebay, that can get new product through other means - back door of a bike factory, pro-deal, sponsorship, etc. Thats the stuff that they aren't going to cover for you. Because there was never a "dealer" in the equation or it was never a retail sale.

mtbr member
    I've been "dealing" w/ Bob for a long time now and I can tell you that I've never had a problem with him or anything I have ever bought from him!
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Well, what you didn't understand was that being an authorized dealer has different meanings for different companies.

Sram has distributors that sell to shops. The distributor is really the authorized dealer - the shop you buy from is merely an extension of them. You can't get an account with a distributor unless you have a legit locations and business license. Sram doesn't verify every one of the thousands of mom and pop shops in every corner of the country.

Theres a lot of sellers out there, especially on ebay, that can get new product through other means - back door of a bike factory, pro-deal, sponsorship, etc. Thats the stuff that they aren't going to cover for you. Because there was never a "dealer" in the equation or it was never a retail sale.
    Thanks for the clarification. I learned something new.

Quote Originally Posted by bellullabob View Post
    I've been "dealing" w/ Bob for a long time now and I can tell you that I've never had a problem with him or anything I have ever bought from him!
    I don't know if I can believe what you're saying, especially with the name bellulaBOB

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Unless there's more to the story it seems like an honest mistake that anyone could make. How would anyone know you're not allowed to call Sram to verify it? When I first purchased from him, I was a little leery as well because it felt like I was purchasing from just some dude and not a store. It wasnt until I had my first successful transaction from him before I felt comfortable. All I'm saying is the OP's actions (or mistake and I say that lightly) doesnt seem all that unreasonable.
    Last edited by KVW; 11-09-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    I don't know if I can believe what you're saying, especially with the name bellulaBOB
    Ha, good call...but no, I am not BikerBob! I live in the Northeast...click the link to my blog below for proof!
    Before you buy anything online, send Bob at bikerbob.com an email! Best online retailer!

My bike/ race Blog

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Biker Bob has been around Mountain Bike Review since around 1998 with always a great rep. I've bought a bike and a bunch of parts from his store, I can't believe so many are not familiar with him.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Biker Bob has been around Mountain Bike Review since around 1998 with always a great rep. I've bought a bike and a bunch of parts from his store, I can't believe so many are not familiar with him.
    There's always newer people (such as me) to mtbr so...
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    He treated me right on a Avid warranty issues. Top notch seller that's been around a while.
    NSMBA Member

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    There's always newer people (such as me) to mtbr so...
    There's always a search feature here to search a shop on and get a feel for a shop so...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    He treated me right on a Avid warranty issues. Top notch seller that's been around a while.
    I've had a positive experience with Bob also. Nice guy