Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Then you have seen the solid evidence.
    Yes, that question was pretty stupid on my part - after all, what kind of solid evidence do I expect to see on an internet forum site? Anyone on here could be posting as an alias from the owner, or be working for the owner, etc. But let's assume that there are some orders that are actually filled (like yours, epiphreddy - and consider yourself fortunate that your order worked out, it seems to be a rarity). What I can't figure out is what sort of business model BPE is going for. Do they sometimes fill orders and just rip off everyone else? With so many good, responsive companies to go to on the internet, how can they expect to remain competitive? There was a post on another bike forum that may explain this. Basically, this guy suggests it is a bit of a bike parts "ponzi scheme", where they ship parts if they can come up with them (or have them), but for everyone else they just hang on to their money until the poor sap either files a PayPal dispute (as I have done), or perhaps doesn't file in time and loses their money. A very dishonest way to do business, but I suppose if you can keep ahead of the game and rely on people's trust based on a nice looking web site, then you can get away with it. As a member of the cycling community, I feel compelled to let others know about what has happened to me - and numerous others (just do a Google search and see the posts on bike forums, take a look at the BPE Facebook page where many cheated customers have posted, and examine the BBB rating of Sage Cycles, look at the numerous changes in business location and names....it is not pretty).

Here is the post from someone who may have explained BPE business the best:

believe this Sage Cycles is like parts broker that never had anything in stocks..the part selection are huge if you look at their site and never show they were out of stock..They take money upfront then go look for any warehouse that carries the parts ..that's why most of the orders rarely take less than 3 weeks to ship. When they can't find the parts, they then just quietly return your $$$ and we customers lose time and energy trying to look for other parts and deal with collecting our own money.
    My take is this is a Ponzi scheme type of business..If you look at this, most of those screwed up orders always took longer than 21 day for money to return...if they can lure enough people to make order per day then they can use this money free interest in 30 days bc the money only got refunded little by little unless nobody order...i've first experienced with this type of Sage Cycles Texas/Bikespartexpress, BeyondBike store in 2010 and people are still falling for this type of business now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I actually happened upon this thread AFTER sending $1,400 BPE's way for a frame....and I was worried. I had decent communication with the owner but the frame did take about 3 weeks. Needless to say, always pay with a credit card then I would think you would be safe particularly if you never received anything. I don't know if it is a full fledged Ponzi scheme or just some irresponsible, lazy folks with poor ethics. I looked back and realized I have bought a fork from them about 4 years ago and a few other things most of which were big ticket items at great prices....why I bought from them. Great prices and then use a coupon and get even more off. The prices were too good to pass up and I always received exactly what I ordered but it always did take around 3 weeks. As I have posted several times.....you can always use them as a Price Match for other more reputable online sites.
    I don't know what sort of business model they have going, but it does not look good and I don't see with all of the negative comments how they can keep going. Based on all of the bad comments I guess I have been lucky. But you can look at my hundreds of posts and figure out that the odds of my being an alias or a shill are LOW.
    I guess what I don't understand is...if you pay with a credit card, how can you get screwed? Can they send you a box of rocks and lie and say they sent a XX1 cassette?
    Also, Mikerbiker you mentioned you used Paypal, is it a Master Card CC through paypal? If so, also call Master Card. MC will probably be better than paypal. If you paid directly out of your bank account then you could be screwed I suppose...don't know I always use a CC and have never had an issue.
    Hopefully you will get your money back....Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I actually happened upon this thread AFTER sending $1,400 BPE's way for a frame....and I was worried. I had decent communication with the owner but the frame did take about 3 weeks. Needless to say, always pay with a credit card then I would think you would be safe particularly if you never received anything. I don't know if it is a full fledged Ponzi scheme or just some irresponsible, lazy folks with poor ethics. I looked back and realized I have bought a fork from them about 4 years ago and a few other things most of which were big ticket items at great prices....why I bought from them. Great prices and then use a coupon and get even more off. The prices were too good to pass up and I always received exactly what I ordered but it always did take around 3 weeks. As I have posted several times.....you can always use them as a Price Match for other more reputable online sites.
    I don't know what sort of business model they have going, but it does not look good and I don't see with all of the negative comments how they can keep going. Based on all of the bad comments I guess I have been lucky. But you can look at my hundreds of posts and figure out that the odds of my being an alias or a shill are LOW.
    I guess what I don't understand is...if you pay with a credit card, how can you get screwed? Can they send you a box of rocks and lie and say they sent a XX1 cassette?
    Also, Mikerbiker you mentioned you used Paypal, is it a Master Card CC through paypal? If so, also call Master Card. MC will probably be better than paypal. If you paid directly out of your bank account then you could be screwed I suppose...don't know I always use a CC and have never had an issue.
    Hopefully you will get your money back....Good luck!
    Thanks for the input, Epiphreddy. I guess you have been one of the fortunate ones. How long ago did you make your purchase? It seems that since late 2013 most everyone has not received their goods. I always use a credit card (if I can) for online purchases, and the first thing that gave me a bad feeling about BPE was that although their website shows that you can purchase with Visa, MC, etc, when you go to make a purchase you can't pay with a credit card - only PayPal. If you were able to pay via credit card, maybe your payment was some time ago. I wonder if the credit card companies eventually dropped BPE because of the number of disputes? As I said, I just want to let others in the cycling community know about all the problems with BPE - it really shouldn't be allowed to go on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerbiker View Post
    Thanks for the input, Epiphreddy. I guess you have been one of the fortunate ones. How long ago did you make your purchase? It seems that since late 2013 most everyone has not received their goods. I always use a credit card (if I can) for online purchases, and the first thing that gave me a bad feeling about BPE was that although their website shows that you can purchase with Visa, MC, etc, when you go to make a purchase you can't pay with a credit card - only PayPal. If you were able to pay via credit card, maybe your payment was some time ago. I wonder if the credit card companies eventually dropped BPE because of the number of disputes? As I said, I just want to let others in the cycling community know about all the problems with BPE - it really shouldn't be allowed to go on.
    It was Jan 2013, last purchase. I used an Ebay Master Card. Or course Ebay owns paypal. You should setup your PP account to ONLY use a CC, NOT your personal checking account. If you risk any money make it someone other than yours.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It was Jan 2013, last purchase. I used an Ebay Master Card. Or course Ebay owns paypal. You should setup your PP account to ONLY use a CC, NOT your personal checking account. If you risk any money make it someone other than yours.
    So epiphreddy, having ordered and received your goods in the past from BPE, I ask you now that you have seen all of these complaints and non-receipt of goods from other customers (including me), would you order from BPE again if you saw a good price?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No, I would use them as a price match and order from somewhere else that is not known to have issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No, I would use them as a price match and order from somewhere else that is not known to have issues.
    That sounds like a good practice. I wonder if the other web biking companies would consider them as a legitimate competitor for price matching?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerbiker View Post
    That sounds like a good practice. I wonder if the other web biking companies would consider them as a legitimate competitor for price matching?
    If wherever you attempt a price match makes their minimum acceptable profit they will take your order and most importantly MONEY. It never hurts to ask. I have not checked pricing on BPE for anything lately, but I have never seen any prices on there that were absurdly low, but the pricing I saw were lower than most other places, not all, but most. I think the difference with BPE versus other places (best I could tell) is that with a given coupon their prices were always lower than most other places when not on sale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, I just wanted to make a final post on how this all played out with Bike Parts Express/Sage Cycles and Mr. Rick Morris. I registered a dispute with PayPal and Bike Parts Express NEVER responded to PayPal's inquiry about the dispute. BPE was billed by PayPal and the money transferred out of their account and back to me. BPE had absolutely no interest in contesting anything, chose to hang on to my money for as long as possible (about 2 months when it was all said and done), and PayPal had to recover the money. So I learned a lesson on internet purchasing and qualifying vendors. I am amazed that Bike Parts Express can remain in business with this kind of activity - I can only hope for the sake of others that they do not. In the mean time, I hope this message gets out to anyone considering purchasing from these unethical bandits.

squish, squish in da fish
    yeah you think PP would drop him.

mtbr member
    *BUMP*

Still awaiting refund for parts that were never shipped (they sent partial order).
    DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE... IT CANNOT BE SAID ENOUGH.
    If you can't buy parts from your LBS, then go to reputable companies with great customer service (Jenson, Treefort, Bikeman, Universal, et. al.). No amount of savings you get with BPE is worth your time and frustration. I will be filing a grievance with the IC3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Looks like the website is gone.
    We Ride In God's Country!

yup, whomever buys that domain is doomed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Man, that blows. And Sagecycles.com looks to be down too. Where oh where will we ever find good online deals at the other 1,000 online retailers?

Warrior's Society
    Man, that blows. And Sagecycles.com looks to be down too. Where oh where will we ever find good online deals at the other 1,000 online retailers?

Sage website is still up and running.....just checked.

Edit: Oooppppsss.....spoke too soon.....the site is up but there is nothing on it.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Looks like the BPE website is back up and running again. I checked the contact info and all the photos are from Sage Cycles in San Antonio, which has been closed for a couple of years. The contact e-mails are @sagecycles.com too. I guess some things just don't go away.

mtbr member
    BikePartsExpress.com

All the dudes on this page should just get their asses kicked immediately by Heber City locals, as a service to the MTB community.

I will post their names and contacts here for all to attack, annoy, etc.

If I lived in that town I would go to that store and talk some mad shittt and call them all out.

And I have never even ordered from them.

Rick Morris- total loser I hope U never show up to a ride or race I am at.

rick@sagecycles.com

Randy James- manager. Manager? Whatever.

Randy@sagecycles.com

Richard Miller
    Bobby Griffith
    Alan Davis

Employees. Just as culpable I bet.

Since you guys like to rip people off I hope others find your personal phone numbers and addresses and ream you punks a new one.

I guess Utah is the place to hide behind the law and pull crap on nice people all over the country.

Grown men who have class,respect and dignity would never run a business this way. I dont. I ship every item ever ordered. Immediately.

Someone needs to get this shop shut down ASAP. Total BS.

addicted to chunk
    Wow, glad I searched, was about to place an order at BPE....

thanks guys.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Actually, you all need to be aware that the business was sold to a very responsible LBS (no, not me). The new owner has a long history of honest service in the community.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by criscobike View Post
    Actually, you all need to be aware that the business was sold to a very responsible LBS (no, not me). The new owner has a long history of honest service in the community.
    Any more info.

GL to that guy, buying a highly tarnished company. i believe he's probably a lil crazy.

mtbr member
    If that's the case, kill the name, rebrand the website, and start from scratch. They will never get any of my money again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    If that's the case, kill the name, rebrand the website, and start from scratch. They will never get any of my money again.
    He's actually hired three new employees to stay on top of the volume; and they are plenty busy right now. Something tells me the business is doing just fine. If you want to take your business someplace else, that your choice and there's nothing wrong with it. But don't be afraid give the new owner a chance. As I said, he has a long established history of being a honest LBS owner. I've been a customer of his for years. I know about all this from my visits into the shop recently and everyone is plenty busy. However and why-ever you felt the way you did about the company before, don't be afraid to give it another chance now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    ^^This

There's too many good options out there to give second chances to the few places still around with reputations as bad as these guys.

Dissolved member
    As long as they have a blog site with this face on it, I am staying away.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast