Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    IJust be sure and use a VISA or PayPal, recognize that buying online is risky, so you are better off buying from your LBS if they have a decent turnaround.
    Buying online from any reputable vendor is NOT RISKY.

It works perfectly fine the vast majority of the time and a reputable vendor will actually answer your emails, calls, what have you and resolve any issues that may actually occur.

Buying from operations known to have serious issues in the past and apparently present-- that is risky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Buying online from any reputable vendor is NOT RISKY.

It works perfectly fine the vast majority of the time and a reputable vendor will actually answer your emails, calls, what have you and resolve any issues that may actually occur.

Buying from operations known to have serious issues in the past and apparently present-- that is risky.
    And how do you know there are "known" serious issues? From reading posts on a forum? How about Scorpaguy? His very first and only post is to bash BPE. I am calling BS on some of these posters.

Have you ever purchased from BPE? Me and several others actually HAVE and can provide first hand positive accounts of our experiences with BPE.

And I agree with you buying online is NOT risky for stated reasons. It is about the only place I buy bike parts since my local bikeshops are so pathetic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    And how do you know there are "known" serious issues? From reading posts on a forum?
    And google reviews. And other forums. What should we do, visit each person who complains here to get a legally witnessed affidavit?

People do not complain this much about businesses that are doing a good job. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: BikePartsExpress.com SCAM

for what its worth. i ordered a new rear wheel. payed with paypal. ordered on wednesday recieved it Saturday . very fast ship and beat price by over $30. i will order from again. also sent email after order and got fast reply and trackong number

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Oooh Oooh. How could that be? You must be a shill. You are part of the scam! Ha! I too have had nothing but good experiences buying from BPE. Piss on anyone else who has NEVER bought anything from them and want to bad mouth the place based on a few bad reviews. Maybe the posts/reviews are maliciously fictitious, who knows? Like a person that has one post to blast the place. Maybe they did have an issue or two, but who has had PERFECT service with every transaction? I too will use them again, if nothing else you can use them to price match from a shop you like using more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am not here to flame anyone, but I thought I would provide my personal experience with BPE. I ordered a RaceFace Turbine fat bike crank in July and since I had not received it by the end of the month I sent them an email. I got a quick response saying that my crank was on back order and that they had a different crank that was in stock and if I wanted that they could send it right away or it would be a few weeks. It was a few dollars more and I had my heart set on the Raceface so I decided to wait. I waited for a month and with no updates or product I tried to contact BPE again. I did not receive any response. I tried again and since I never got any response I filed a complaint with PayPal hoping it would get some movement, but no response from BPE so I escalated it to a claim. BPE still did not respond so PayPal is refunding my payment. I had such high hopes, but I did not want this to turn into another Home Brewed Components experience so I felt compelled to make sure that I got my money back before I was out of the 45 day window to file a claim.

I think it is paramount for e-retailers to provide good communication with their customers since it is not like a LBS where I can just drop in. In this case that started out well, but the ball was dropped and I am very disappointed. With so many choices of virtual stores and the proliferation of social media and forums it seems like the best way to develop a loyal following is to provide excellent service to differentiate yourself from others online. I hope BPE can smooth out whatever bumps they are experiencing and get back on track as they do seem to have a number of supporters out there. I wish them luck.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    I ordered some parts from BPE 11/14 and still have not received my order. I have sent two emails asking for updates on the status of my order, the latest being this past Monday. I have yet to receive any response. I really hope they are just busy, but irrespective of the resolution of my order, I will never order from them again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey folks...I've been wanting to share my experience about BikePartsExpress. I needed an expensive, uncommon service part that probably wasn't in stock. BPE had it for 60-80 dollars cheaper than just about any other shop online.

Without thinking things through, I placed my order via paypal. The money was transferred instantly, and I received an automated order confirmation. After I ordered, I looked up reviews of BPE. This thread, as well as others, had made me pretty nervous about my careless purchase . A few days later, I emailed them with a polite an inquisitive tone, "I just wanted to check up on the status of my order..." There was no reply, which confirmed all the negative things I had read online. Then, out of the blue and one week later, I received an email saying that my order had shipped. The whole process took about 2 weeks from transaction to receiving the part.

So here's my take: After reading this thread twice, I think it's unfair to call BPE a scam and Rick a crook. Sure, they aren't the best at communication. Maybe they have some issues with their accounts and distributors. However, they do have pretty stellar prices AND people do receive their items.

In the future, if I'd truly save a ton of money buying through BPE and I had time to wait, I might use them again. But more likely and regularly, I'll shop from my go-to dealers because they make me feel more confident about the whole process.

Lastly, let's not forget that we're all pretty used to buying stuff from online-giant-super-stores that have a really well-oiled, time and volume tested system for taking, processing, and delivering orders. BPE isn't Nashbar, ChainReaction, or Amazon, and therefore they probably shouldn't be compared to such retailers. All that being said, there isn't much excuse for abysmal communication.

squish, squish in da fish
    oooh, oooh! can i play? i'll call him a piece of ****! like others have said, i too have ordered from them w/o reading reviews, bad on me i guess. i looked at the fact they're from the US and excepted that as enough cred. so i ordered a steel freehub from them and 10 days later i received a flat rate box with a receipt and bubblewrap. yes folks that's it, no freehub in the box. i immediately emailed them with every detail and number on that receipt & guess what no response. i also left 2 VM's and still nothing. the only thing they were quick to do is take my money! i find it funny that the only number for online and this shitty store are the same and the fact that "phone hours" are 1 hour after the store opens. hopefully you OTB on your face today. i don't see a future for your store

edit: what's really funny about this, is everywhere i see that POS's pic, he's on a phone! LOL if i believed in social networking i'd join twitter just to knock that phone off his face

just found this info, haven't tried the phone because they don't open for another 1/2 hour
    Sage Cycles & Outdoor Gear 801-689-2644
    270 24th St, Ste 101, Ogden, UT 84401
    Sage Cycles & Outdoor Gear | Ogden, UT

lol new number is constantly busy
    Last edited by fishwrinkle; 01-23-2014 at 10:14 AM.

mtbr member
    WOW. I buy most of my MTB related stuff online and I am glad I stumbled upon this thread before being ripped off by this clown. There is absolutely no excuse for business practices such as this. I hope the word spreads, I'll do my part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I blindly ordered a stans rear wheel great price from them . No contact from them received wheel in less than a week so who knows?

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

i know i came off hot & it's not the $84 that bothers me, but it's the fact he has swindled many people.

aaron, when was your order placed & what region are you in? might be a proximity thing on who gets filled, as in ass whippin' range?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have had really good luck with them too. I have gotten better prices from them then anywhere else on the few things I have ordered. This thread and their lack of communication concerned me, but I have now bought an expensive frame, fork, and a few others things from them and with the exception of the fork taking about 3 weeks to arrive everything else was fine.

I am also about 1,400 miles away in the southeast for what it is worth.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    They had a part 'in stock' that other US online retailers were low on, so I purchased it a couple of weeks ago.

What a fiasco. They confirmed the order and immediately took the PP money, but never sent any email confirming shipment outbound. Numerous phone calls and vmails and emails got no response for a week or so. Some of those emails went directly to the owner Rick. eventually I got a brief email from Randy (info@sagecycles.com) saying 'part not available' after all. No confirmation that they plan to credit my paypal acct.

Wont' be doing business with them again, obviously.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

frorider, escalate it to a claim at PP. don't wait, i'm still dickin' around with "randy" waiting for a response and a refund.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Oh don't worry, as soon as I realized they were one of those online retailers with no real-life customer service despite listing a phone number, I reported this to paypal. I'm sure I'll get my money back; just bummed I had to waste my time on these clowns.

mtbr member
    I should have visited this forum before I ordered. I was jaded by the pricing.
    Terrible communication. You cannot check their website for order status. Emailed three times... no response. Last email (9-days after initial order) I threatened to cancel order and file Paypal grievance... the next day I got a shipping notification.
    DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY. A few dollars savings is simply not worth it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You can always use them for a price match elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Bikepartsexpress has 'not responded' to the PayPayl complaint process.

Escalation is the next step. Of course paypal makes that overly difficult, but whatever.

several days ago i received a full refund from PP. i actually found it quite humorous that randy asked me if i wanted a full refund or a new freehub sent to me, i responded i wanted a freehub. still waiting, lol.

BarBanger
    Feb 2008
    Someday they will go to prison. Mailing empty boxes to customers is mail fraud, to which the Feds do not take kindly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am yet another victim of he scam business that Bike Parts Express seems to be. I ordered some Nordic ski gloves and found it odd that although they show ability to pay by Visa, MC, etc., the only way to pay was PayPal. They immediately took my money, but gave no indication whether the gloves were in stock and when they might ship. Numerous phone calls (ALL unanswered) and e-mails till finally they told me it is out of stock and no filling anticipated. I requested the order be cancelled, and after a few weeks I asked for a refund. Randy communicated that the owner refunded my money but after almost 2 weeks no activity on PayPal. I filed a dispute, now escalated.

Does ANYONE have any solid evidence that this company is in any way whatsoever legitimate. Take a look at the reviews on their own Facebook page - all negative with similar stories. The Utah BBB has Sage Cyclery (same company - different name) rated as F. These guys really should be stopped from doing this - I see nothing but a complete fraud here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Did you read the thread??

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Did you read the thread??
    Yes, of course.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Then you have seen the solid evidence.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast