Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Apparently, they ride on Fridays and Saturdays too instead of working.
    I called last Wednesday, so apparently you can add that day to the list as well.

My story:

I had placed a web order Monday morning. When I hadn't heard anything or received tracking by Wednesday I started the process of trying to contact them. All phone numbers either went to voicemail or were disconnected (which I thought was weird for a company that claimed to have two brick & mortars). After Googling the company name I started to see thread after thread of people complaining about slow or non-existent service. I e-mailed orders at bikepartsexpress.com and copied info at sagecycles.com telling them to cancel my order and I stated the reasons why. I also told them I had notified my bank to reject the charge.

Fast forward to last night when I'm checking my CC charges and see that BPE put their charge through last Wednesday. Coincidence?

I still haven't received any contact from BPE (not even tracking so who knows if they even shipped something or just charged my card) and as far as I'm concerned I canceled my order with them. I'm in the process of disputing the charge with my CC company and they can sort it out with BPE's CC company.

Maybe if BPE gets enough charge backs their CC company will drop them.

Oh and after canceling my order with BPE I called up Zach @ Bikebling.com and placed an order with them. Can't say enough good things about BB. I should have just placed the original order with them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I received my goods from Orem, Utah on 11/19/2012. The order was complete and arrived in good shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have an update for my experience with BPE.

They did end up shipping me a package two weeks after I had originally placed my order, and over a week after I had e-mailed them to cancel it.

I went through my credit card company and disputed the charge. The credit card company suggested it would be best if I mailed the package back to BPE with tracking.

After waiting a couple of weeks and realizing this was going to be a long drawn out process I tried contacting BPE. It took 7 or 8 calls over the course of a day to finally get someone to answer the phone. "Rick" answered the phone. I explained the situation and he apologized. He said he had run into some distributor issues, but everything was straightened out now. I explained that I had tried to cancel my order and I was seeking a refund. He said no problem, just ship the merchandise back to him and he'd refund my money plus the additional shipping.

I shipped the package back to him that same day. I also e-mailed him a copy of the postage receipt so I could be reimbursed. Oddly he told me to use either rick at sagecycles.com or rick at bicyclepartsexpress.com. He said no one checks the info or orders e-mail addresses.

A week later and I had not heard a word from Rick. I checked the tracking and the package had arrived 2 days after I had mailed it. Three more calls to get Rick on the phone. This time I caught him out getting some lunch. Funny, I had called the supposed phone number for his brick & mortar, but he was talking to me from his cell phone while at lunch. I've never heard of a bike shop closing down for lunch before. Rick said he had in fact received the package and would be processing my refund (including the return shipping).

Another couple of days go by and I get an e-mail from info at sagecycles.com informing me that my credit card was being credited for the returned merchandise. I then received a separate e-mail asking for my PayPal e-mail since they couldn't refund me money over and above the original amount. I immediately responded to the e-mail providing my PayPal info. Then I remembered Rick told me no one checked those e-mail addresses (even though they use them to e-mail customers). So I forwarded everything to Rick's e-mail addresses. Never heard a response from Rick.

Fast forward another two weeks and no credit has been posted to my card. I tried calling Rick, but gave up after two calls that just went to voicemail. I sent him another e-mail asking him to please process my credit and to PayPal me the shipping charge. Nothing.

Another week goes by and my credit card company finds in my favor and adjusts my account for the "purchase". I'm out the $13 I paid for return shipping, but at this point I'm just happy to be done with Rick and his bull$hit.

Either this guy is a flat out liar or just a really shitty businessman. Either way I will never have anything to do with him or his companies again. I'll also make it a point to tell anyone who asks about my experience with BPE, Sage Cycles or directbicycleparts.com.

So in short... a big F*ck You to Rick. He dicked me around and never kept his word.

mtbr member
    time for credit card dispute
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So what became of all of this? Curious since I placed an order before I saw this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Received my item in a timely manner, approximately 2 weeks from order date.. Communication was just fine and the prices were unbeatable. I went back and checked my emails and this is the fourth order I have placed with BPE over three years and other than a fork taking about 3 weeks and communication possibly not the best I have experienced I can honestly say my experience with BPE has been just fine and the prices on their sale items is absolutely unbeatable. I don't mind waiting another week or so if it is going to save me $100 or so.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well, I'm experiencing the same woes as most everyone. I placed my order on Friday, I received an order number right away which I assume is auto-generated. On Tuesday I replied to auto-generated email, no response. Wednesday I sent an email to sage cycles, no response. I may just call my credit card and block the purchase.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Don't you think you may be jumping the gun a little bit? The place is probably not open on Sat or Sun and basically 2 working days past your order you are wanting to call your CC company???? I have ordered several things from BPE, all at extraordinary prices. Is there communication the best in the world.....NO. Are they the absolute fastest in the world....NO. BUT, they are waaaay less expensive and also faster than any local bikeshop I have ever dealt with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    While I think that BPE is the WORST company on earth and the owner is a CROOK, I think you are jumping the gun here. IF you call the credit card company this early, they might deny your claim when you actually need it because this hack stole your money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foster View Post
    "Rick" answered the phone. I explained the situation and he apologized. He said he had run into some distributor issues, but everything was straightened out now.

Translation: Not paying bills, suppliers not shipping until account is current.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was just about to order from this place, but there are so many shady internet operations out there, I am glad I did a search beforehand. This thread makes it very clear that they will not be getting my business.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I ordered an XISC crankset and BB from them on Sunday afternoon for a great price AND they thru another discount on top for being a first time customer.
    I stumbled upon this thread last night and started to freak out -- i have a race in less than three weeks and no crank.
    So i called this afternoon, just to get a feel for the place, and I am no longer worried.
    A guy named Bradley answered right away -- could tell he was a mechanic at work -- and talked shop with me or a few.
    I told him I just wanted to double-check the crank compatibly with my bike. He was awesome. Got the part number, called Specialized, called me back, all within 10 minutes.
    I informed him of my time constraints and he assured me that i would have my new crank by Monday.
    I'm giving these guys an A+ so far.
    That said, I'm still only a few days in. Let's see how long it takes to arrive.
    I'll let you know

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have ordered several big ticket items from them: frame, fork, etc. and have gotten the absolute best prices on everything and received everything as quick or quicker than I would have gotten them if I ordered from a local bikeshop (which NEVER could have matched their prices).
    I would not hesitate to order from them again and I would not let this thread bother you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sure enough, got an email and tracking number with USPS this afternoon. All is smooth with these guys. Tracking says crank and BB here on Saturday. That would be less than a week to get here. They are in Utah - I'm in S. Florida. I've ordered gear from Miami that's taken longer...
    I'll let ya know when the package arrives.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Wow. I'm impressed. Stuff arrived this afternoon, actually ahead of schedule. Less than a week to my door and the best price on the Web.

I will definitely be ordering from them again.

Disregard all the nonsense early in the thread. As of right now, these guys are A+

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am with you. This place rocks and if you don't want to do business with them you can always use them as a price match to somewhere you would rather use. They currently have the best price I have found on the I9 Torch rear XX1 hub plus you can use one of their coupons (which are always available) to get another 10% off! Unbeatable!

mtbr member
    JohnGataRide and epiphreddy, you two guys sound like shills.

I've never ordered from bikepartsexpress but I found this thread and now I never will. The way in which you enthusiastically support them and casually brush off VERY SERIOUS business violations in the not-too-distant past makes me wonder if you're crazy or personally connected to the company.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey, trust me (or don't I don't care), I came across this thread after purchasing a close out Jet RDO back in Sept at the BEST price I have seen anyone post and I became quite worried too. Their communication (as I have stated before) is not the best (but still better than ANY of my local bikeshops). BUT it was purchased on a credit card so what is the worst that could happen? People act like it is the end of the world, that it is coming out of their pockets, that their cycling career will be destroyed....when in fact that is what the CC is for, protection. NOTHING can happen. If a scam were to occur (I have had it happen) call your CC company, that is it, costs you NOTHING. All I am posting about is my experiences with them. If you want to support your local bikeshop and pay full retail or whatever, have at it. I could care less. The fork I bought took about 3 weeks to get which is as fast or faster than most any small bikeshop at HUNDREDS less. The frame took like maybe two weeks. Go ahead SPEND more money and possibly get better communication, quicker shipping, I could care less....hey call me crazy, but if it takes another week and it takes a few days/emails to save a couple of hundred dollars I don't mind at all....but that's just me...I must be crazy!!!! LoL

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ColinL: You're a big boy. Make your own call. I didn't have that option. I found this thread AFTER i placed my order.

But regardless of what all these others have posted, my experience was great. I don't know what happened in the past -- maybe the move is now complete and **** is more organized -- nor do I care.

All i know is that I got a stellar deal on an XISC crank shipped to South Florida from Utah in 6 days.

That's not crazy -- that's real

AND I will order from them again if need be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Reading back a bit, I almost feel sorry for the guy who runs this store. He's getting nailed and has probably lost a ton of business. If you start at the beginning, it seems like a few competitors decided they had it out for him. Look up a couple of the original posters -- they are stores, not people.

No one in the last year has had any issues with this place. I hope they are able to keep in business despite all this crap said about them. They have great prices and my experience was awesome.

mtbr member
    My personal take is that if you use Ebay you are far better protected against crap like this due to their policies and the fact that sellers are very protective of their reputation score so they do what they say, when they say. Anyway-- carry on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have been scammed on ebay on a bike purchase, sent faulty parts, and received mis-represented items. It takes a LONG drawn out process to resolve (like 6 weeks). And if Ebay decides to rule in favor of the person who has done wrong you are screwed. How is that protection? Your CC company will do an investigation and you aren't responsible for any charges in question until resolved which is usually less than a month. I can honestly say that I have NEVER been scammed by an online bike shop and I have purchased hundreds or items. You are basing your "take" on other peoples posts that you don't know and you have never even bought from BPE. Me and Johngataride have had great experiences with BPE through actual purchases. Your CC is your protection against whatever fears you seem to have. I too think some of the complainers were competitors (I read the entire thread I suggest that ColinL do the same). As far as I am concerned MTBR should not allow threads like this where a few people set out to ruin a shops reputation.
    On your next bike part/purchase, why don't you shop around online and if BPE is as good a price or better give them a shot and see for yourself, then you will have an informed opinion. I have no interest in BPE other than keeping as much $$ in my pocket and getting the same parts as elsewhere but at less prices.

mtbr member
    I did read the whole thread, that's why I am shocked that anyone would buy from them after reading it.

You can get screwed by anyone, anywhere. If you do it on ebay, your rep plummets and so do your sales. Granted, that's until you close the account and start a new one. But new sellers with low rep are also a warning to buyers.

If you do it on a website, new customers show up all the time, unaware of your past history unless they happen to look for reviews on MTBR, google, etc. I have no doubt that some customers are happy, or at least indifferent, and apparently you are one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    All....please note I DO NOT OWN/OPERATE/WORK AT a bike shop. I want folks to know of my experience with BPX this month. I placed an order for "in stock" parts....2 weeks and nothing. I called and was told some parts were no longer available...to wit i instructed them to ship the available parts. Said parts arrived with a "correct" invoice, however my CC statement had me charged the original amount. COUNTLESS CALLS have achieved nothing!!! These folks are either dishonest or inept business people...I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have ordered from them twice this summer, they are slow to respond, and I did send a reminder email to "get things rolling", but both products arrived within a week and we're the correct items. They sell at a discount and shipping is free.

It's a real bike shop, Bikepartsexpress is their internet sales. I don't think it's a big operation. Just be sure and use a VISA or PayPal, recognize that buying online is risky, so you are better off buying from your LBS if they have a decent turnaround.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast