Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zipzit View Post
    Update. Sometime today (probably around the same time as I was posting here) I received an email reply from the folks at BikePartsExpress.. they did indeed follow up to my latest email. Turns out one of the parts (rims) are out of stock. Frankly, they should probably invest in a coordinated material management system that tells the customer up front if something is in stock or not.. That would ease their overhead, and improve customer communications considerably. But a scam its not.

So yeah, took them 2.5 business days to get back to me.. could be better, yes, but could be a lot worse. Oh, and I may well cancel the entire order.. not sure what to do. (I'm looking for 29er wide rims 35 to 50mm in width.. No go yet on Salsa Gordos.. maybe I can find some Kris Holm 29er Freeride or some Speedway UMA's...somewhere...)

I'm rating them "okay" at this point.. Frankly I'd prefer to see email response on orders within one business day. Three days = mediocre to okay. Five business days = not responsive to the customer's needs, unless you tell me AT ORDER TIME "Small shop, on vacation back on xxx-yyyy-2015".

--Zip
    The problem is that you would NEVER had known if they were out of stock if you woudl not have tried to contact them. Also, if you cancel your order be prepared to get your credit card company involved to get your money back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    The excuse is that they are probably not in good enough credit standing with the distributors to get the parts without getting money in the bank first. Todays orders pay for the goods they need for yesterday's orders...
    Sounds like a Ponzi scheme to me!!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
    The problem is that you would NEVER had known if they were out of stock if you woudl not have tried to contact them.
    If you want rock bottom pricing and are willing to wait a bit for things to ship, bikerbob and tree fort bikes are great to deal with. They also don't stock most of the items they have access to, but they are 100% up front about it. And they are very responsive.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I sent 5 emails for him (BPX) and nothing happened!!!! If my order was around $100, it΄s ok. But it comes to $2100.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    LBC (ZIpZit)...

Got your email. I had placed 2 back-to-back orders with them. The first order was fulfilled, eventually, but took 30+ days from the order date and was sent in multiple shipments (how terribly inefficient and unnecessary). The 2nd order was never fulfilled. I've been pestering them on and off for the past couple months to either ship the items or refund my money but they refuse to get back to me.

I'll cut my losses. All I care to do at this point is share my shitty experience and hope word of mouth spreads like wildfire. These guys shouldn't be in business.

What greenerob said was spot on... We never would have known what was in/out of stock if we didn't contact them. It is clear that they had no intention of reaching out to us with updates.

Oh and Zip, the contact I had for Rick Morris was (210) 391-5528. I found this number next to the charges on my bank statement.

Best of luck,
    Chris

crash test dummy
    I ordered some pedals and grips from them before I saw this thread. I recieved a order confirmation email at the time of order but didn't get anything else for about a week... then I recieved an email with a link to track the shipment, it's been a couple of days and now USPS has finally updated the tracking and I can see that my order has been sent out.
    I saved about 10% over the next best deal online, but seeing the stories from other customers had/has me worried. It seems I'm getting lucky with them this time, but I won't be sure till my parts arrive.
    I meant to do that.

mtbr member
    Chris Wright Bicycles, you are clearly a competitor to BPX. Why do you keep ordering things from them and then slamming them online. Did they take some your customers away? Why dont you just order the stuff you want from a distributor, as you are a bicycle dealer? The stuff you ordered was clearly delivered. There are tracking numbers to prove. Not sure what your game is, but your motives are crystal clear.
    35,000+Bicycle Parts at BikePartsExpress.com, largest selection of Bike Parts on the web.

mtbr member
    Rick, nice to see you here, to clear up some of this confusion.

Policy Quotes From the Bike Express Website:
    It is our top priority to provide an exceptional on-line shopping experience!

We strive to have all orders processed and shipped out the same or next business day after an order is placed. However, at times, this will take a little longer.Please allow 1–2 business days to process your order.

Keeping every item listed on our website in stock at all times is one of our highest priorities. However, due to high demand for some items and varied availability from manufacturers, occasionally an item will need to be backordered. Rest assured, we will actively take steps to fill your backorders as soon as possible, usually within 5–7 business days. In the unusual circumstance that filling backorders for your order will take longer than 7 business days; available items in your order will ship and when backordered items have been filled, they will be shipped to you immediately, at our expense.

Orders can be changed any time prior to completion of order processing. Keep in mind, many orders are processed and shipped on the same day the order was placed. If you need to change an order after submitting it on the website, please call the shop during business hours, Monday – Friday from 10am – 6pm CST and we will make every effort to help you. If your order has already been processed, we will be unable to cancel it or change it. Do not e-mail order changes because it is unlikely we would be able to make your changes in time.

and from the FAQ portion of the site:
    Are all your items listed on this web site?
    At Bike Parts Express, we stock thousands of items. This site is the most comprehensive list of our product you can find. We do our best to have all of our items listed on the web site.

Most of the complaints here revolve around communication, or lack thereof.
    --Nobody ever answers the phone at the business.
    --Emails are not responded to in a timely manner, if at all.
    --Customers are not being informed that the material they ordered is not available.
    --The customer is not being informed of the time delays related to back order. Will the part arrive in five days or fifty?
    --The customer is not given an opportunity to either back order a part or cancel that portion of the order at the discovery that an item is not in stock. This is a pretty major deal.
    --It appears that for any credit card order, the entire amount of the transaction is deposited immediately, even before anyone reviews the order to validate if the parts are even available.
    --The inventory control system is nonexistent. Remember the web site states clearly that BikePartsExpress stocks 1000's of items. The web site does NOT tell the customer that they are tied into a network of other suppliers and that often items are not in stock at your facility, etc... The customer has no way of knowing that their money may be tied up for months with no product, etc.
    --For some reason, folks who have responded here indicate a discrepancy with their funds on the part of BikePartsExpress.

Am I missing something? It would appear that customers who order parts online are not feeling the EXCEPTIONAL ON-LINE SHOPPING EXPERIENCE that is your stated number one, number one, number one priority. EXCEPTIONAL, not better than average, not mediocre, not substandard, not really bad, it says EXCEPTIONAL.

What's your take on this?

thanks, zip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have purchased lots of parts from various sources ranging from large online retailers to eBay to Bikerbob. I'm about to build a bike from the frame up and I will need a bunch of items. Based upon this thread, unless there are some reasonable answers from BPX I would not buy anything from them.

I truly hope that you can answer the questions zipzit posed. I also would really like to hear an explanation for the issues regarding the problem Msatri has claimed to have with BPX. This seems like even repeat customers have been strung along and taken advantage of.

Again...I hope that there are legitimate explanations for the issues that folks have detailed in this thread and that Mr. Morris can provide these explanations publicly. This is his opportunity to potentially set the record straight to a large number of potential customers.

mtbr member
    Well, my take on this is. I have learned years ago that I cannot please every single customer. And every other retailer that does any serious business knows this too. I know that when we have thousands of happy customers that we are also going to have a few unhappy customers. The happy far exceeds the unhappy. I also know that some vocal alleged customers have an axe to grind that is not so easily visible, and I'm OK with that too. They are less than 1% of our customers. It happens to all retailers that are moving a lot of products. We are certainly not perfect, no retailer is. We did have a system outage that caused some orders to get misplaced or delayed, and for that I apologize. Stuff goes out of stock sometimes and that is when most issues occur. All retailers face the same issue. We are all just human, but we are also mountain bikers, so we understand that you want your stuff. So we work hard everyday to get you your stuff and over 99% of the time we get it to you correctly and within a reasonable amount of time. For those that we didn't do well on, send me an email and I will see if we can fix the issue.
    orders@bikepartsexpress.com
    35,000+Bicycle Parts at BikePartsExpress.com, largest selection of Bike Parts on the web.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Rick, thanks for joining the discussion and replying to my most recent e-mail.

An hour after your message reached my inbox, I received a flurry of spam e-mails. "Thanks for submitting to the Jayde business search engine" "Thank you for registering your business with MagicYellow" etc, etc.

One of these spam e-mails included the "Submitter's IP Address", and guess where the submitter is located? Orem, Utah.

Seems to be down the road from your new shop eh, Rick.

Listen dude, you messed up... admit it. Please send me my parts or issue me a refund. I'll let you decide. I'm sure it's frustrating that a total stranger (me) is calling you out on the web but its 2012... and that's what angry customers do.

-Chris
    Last edited by chriswrightcycles; 11-01-2012 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Er.. Rick. This is a very frustrating situation. A couple of ideas:

1) Fix what is broken. Place large banner popup on the web site. Stop all new orders immediately. The banner apologies for recent errors / shortfalls in communication / excessive backorders. Stop the process of depositing new orders entire amount until your folks have reviewed the order to ensure parts are on hand. Don't put the website back into operation until you've addressed each and every issue so once again your customers will get that EXCEPTIONAL experience.

2) Another idea for you. Heck with the customers. Lets get this whole thing behind us. Close down BikePartsExpress.com entirely. Lets create a whole new online bike parts shopper experience. Lets call it DirectBicycleParts.com !! Only this time none of those wishy washy promises to the customer. Gone are the Frequently Asked Questions, gone are written policies that describe our intended behavior. Two day responses to orders? why bother. customer satisfaction. who cares? Backorders with huge delays, let 'er rip. Nothing promised, nothing lost. Yup, DirectBicycleParts.com is sounding pretty good.

Lets launch that site. ooh... oops... my mistake, that site is already out there. Oops. and hey, isn't that your picture on the phone in the upper right hand corner of the home page? oooh. Better change that. Yup, this DirectBicycleParts.com thing is sounding pretty good.

Wouldn't be good though if folks found out the two sites were managed by the same folks. Better keep that a secret.

Rick, don't worry, your secret is safe with me.

--zip

Addendum: Seriously Rick,

You really need to rethink your business model, clean this mess up. Apologize openly and publicly, FIX the things that are wrong and move along. You have to earn the trust of your customers back. I think you have some work in front of you. good luck with it.

(note: in my case it was never about price.. it was always about parts availability.. I want to know that the parts I need are available NOW, and will get shipped out the next business day. Frankly I didn't even look at the price. Hence my extreme frustration at the whole backorder conversation. I never, ever want a product on backorder.)
    Last edited by zipzit; 11-01-2012 at 01:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This thread is very interesting to say the least. In the last year and a half I have built up 2 complete bikes, and am in the process of building up a third as I type. The frames and every component for all 3 of these bikes were purchased online. I did not have one problem with any online vendor that I dealt with. I can't even imagine what you guy's are going through with this person. But....there are hundreds of GREAT vendors out there that won't screw you like this person.Good luck, and hope everything gets worked out.

Check out some of these sites if you haven't already,

Cyclesport
    Chain Reaction
    ModernBike
    Bikeman

I used these sites for many purchases with exceptional results, and they all have very competitive pricing.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I guess the moral of this story is to buy via some instrument which allows for consumer protection (credit card, etc.) and monitor your purchase closely to ensure that you don't string it out past the date wherein your protection ends.

If a company can't ship something out which is supposed to be in stock within a week or two I would be getting a refund from somebody (either the vendor or the credit card company) significantly prior to the protection date provided by my credit card ends.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by greenerob View Post
    I also highly recommend Bikebling. I ended up trying them out after Rick tried to bend me over. They are great and there prices are too.
    I purchased my Niner Jet 9 frame and my Intense Spider 29 frame from Kerry at Bike Bling. Top notch bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here's a great site to check out online sellers....

Store Ratings & Reviews - ResellerRatings.com - Find Trusted Stores

mtbr member

“My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****”

Anyone else see the irony here....

From this c.2006 thread:
    Beyondbikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    any disgusted online shopping customers are welcome to come to my site.

shameless self promotion...I know.

I am a little guy, and I value every single customer.

I am a an ex IT guy that got tired of sitting in the cube, looking out the window, and wishing I was on the trails. I too, was sick of lousy customer service, so I opened my own store, stocked it full of MTB parts and am doing very well so far.

I am not as big as Performance, but I am adding new stuff everyday. I am up to about 800 items right now and will be over 1000 very soon.

I am not a catalog site; everything I have posted on my site is actually in stock. I am not an OEM dealer either; everything I stock is brand new in box with warranty.

I believe in 'Extreme Customer Service"

Rick
    Last edited by Marco83333; 11-01-2012 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I purchased my Niner Jet 9 frame and my Intense Spider 29 frame from Kerry at Bike Bling. Top notch bike shop.
    2x on Kerry. Actually the whole crew is top notch.

mtbr member
    Hmmm.. in my case I definitely see Rick attempting to set things straight. We've exchanged a few emails, and it looks like things are moving in the right direction. Still waiting for final results (merchandise shipped & credit for no stock back into credit card account.) Those things take a few days. --zip.

mtbr member
    Okay.. I give Rick a thumbs up for me on my transaction. In stock parts shipped and received, and credit returned to credit card company for items not in stock. Emails responded to, tracking info accurate.

Would I do it again this way? There is no way to know if an online vendor is solid. I think the suggestion to ask a question (either by phone or by email) and wait for response is probably a good practice. I suspect this site as managed in August - October 2012, would not have passed that test.

I would recommend that Rick rethink his backorder policy, and continue to improve his customer communications. I do see the web site is still up, and there has been no change to the published policies. For example, the policy on order changes:

If you need to change an order after submitting it on the website, please call the shop during business hours, Monday – Friday from 10am – 6pm CST.... Do not e-mail order changes because it is unlikely we would be able to make your changes in time.

?H (What the heck?) What good is it to call if nobody ever answers the telephone? You should either change the policy, or (hint hint hint) answer the telephone.

Rick, again good luck with making this thing whole again. Looking forward to the customer focused improvements.

Thanks,
    zip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

No change

Judging from my experience, they haven't changed either their policy, or the way they do business. Wish me luck.

CC

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Newsflash:

The contact number (210) 391-5528, listed as a contact phone number on their PayPal account, is no longer in service.

CC
    Last edited by Crudcake; 11-12-2012 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Wording change

mtbr member
    CC, we ride on Sunday, so call us on Monday 800-245-3206. The other number was an old number that is no longer in service.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you, Rick.

I attempted to call to call you at this number on November 9th, and again on the 10th, it went to voice mail. I left a message with my contact phone number, order number, and my inquiry about my order. I haven't had a callback.

I also made the same inquiries through your info@sagecycles and orders@sagecycles e-mail accounts with no responses.

CC
    Last edited by Crudcake; 11-12-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Crudcake View Post
    Thank you, Rick.

I attempted to call to call you at this number on November 9th, and again on the 10th, it went to voice mail. I left a message with my contact phone number, order number, and my inquiry about my order. I haven't had a callback.

I also made the same inquiries through your info@sagecycles and orders@sagecycles e-mail accounts with no responses.

CC

Apparently, they ride on Fridays and Saturdays too instead of working.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast