Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bike24...Germany

8K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  car bone 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever ordered from Bike24 in Germany? I want to place an order, but not sure about the VAT. I've never been charged VAT when I ordered from Merlin Cycles, Wiggle, Ribble or CRC.

#7 ·
Haven't used BIKE24 but have used Bike-Discount.de and especially hibike.de with excellent results...Bought Conti TK 2.4 tires for 28 Euros = $31 US, 2016 Nobby Nics 2.35 for 38 Euros = $42, 2016 XTR Trail brakes for 144 Euros = $160 (cheapest US price was $224). Bike-discount had the 160mm Pike fork for $569 at one point. Shipping was $25 US no matter how much you ordered so the more you buy, the better the deal

#10 ·
Got the new XT drivetrain from them for super cheap. It took 3-4 days until they shipped, and shipping took about 8 days, but everything came in perfect shape. I also just ordered $500 worth of stuff from them for my new build and it shipped a few days ago and is currently transferring from DHL to USPS

#11 ·
I consider myself pretty patient, however.

I placed my order on July 29 at it seems to have shipped on August 5. The order didn't leave Germany until the 15th. Now it seems to be in customs limbo as it hasn't been picked up by the USPS tracking as of yet. I'm not in any great hurry, but I haven't had this kind of shipping delays outside of some stuff surface shipped from China. I guess that's what I get paying 20 euros for shipping of ~1.5 kilos of bike parts. I expect they would have liked to charge me extra for the fat bike rims.

#13 ·
It's part of the deal with Bike24... You gotta be prepared for 3-4 weeks. I was freaking out about my order last month for the same reason (stuck at "origin post is preparing shipment" for 11 days). In the end it took 3 weeks... The last time I ordered from them it took a week, but I think that was a lucky fluke, 3 weeks is probably the average. Would be awesome if they gave you the option to pay more to use DHL express... So it goes :-/

Once it's "inbounds into customs" it's completely up to customs. I've never had issues with customs, longest I've had a package sit there was 2 days, but I've heard horror stories so everytime I get the "inbound into customs" notification I get a little stressed.

#15 ·
Has anyone recieved an email from Bike24 asking for a photo of your credit card? This is the request I recieved.

"On 21th August of we asked you for a photo of your credit card. Please send it, because our credit card acquirer needs to see, that the card is physically yours. Otherwise we cannot ship your order."

I never recieved that email on the 21st of August only my order reciept email when I ordered on the 20th.

#19 ·
Yes, they did this for my last order. The other time I ordered they did not however my order total was only $160. This last time it was nearly $500 so im guessing it's something they do with larger orders. I have also read other people having the same experience. This is normal

#18 ·
Same here. Shipment has been in limbo for weeks in Germany. Its nearing a month since order placed and it still hasn't left Germany as far as I can tell, yet alone reach customs. Deciphering the tracking status updates is a headache. From my experience, consider yourself lucky if your order gets to you in 3-4 weeks.

DHL is simply aweful. Unless there was an option for DHL Express or another shipping provider, this is my first and last purchase from German vendors.

I've had faster, more reliable shipping experiences from sketchy vendors in Asia. Its no where near the speed, reliability of UK vendors either.

#23 ·
TerryLM
I have never heard of this either. I'm going to call them to try and figure out what is going on.
Seems to be normal procedures for "International" orders, being a Canadian customer, when I bought my RIP9 RDO, Price Point requested this prior to finalizing the sale:

Dear Price Point Customer,

Price Point Inc. strives to do our utmost to protect our clients from fraudulent and unauthorized transactions. Due to the high risk of credit card fraud associated with international transactions, we ask for your understanding and cooperation in verifying your identity with us.

Before we can proceed with your order, we need you to provide us with the documentation outlined below:

1. Front and full back copy of credit card to be used. Do not cover reverse side of credit card.
2. A front and back copy of photo identification that contains a signature and matches the first and last name on the card being used.
3. The signed credit card authorization form.

Please e-mail all required documents in color within 5 business days of order date or your order is subject to cancellation.

Please note that we will not ask you to send this information again as long as you use the same credit card, except if your card has expired
.​

#24 ·
I received my order today, almost exactly a month after placing it. And, a day before I leave on my trip, so it worked out. From previous postings, this seems to be the norm. I'd order from them again as the prices are good, the order itself was fine, just not when I need it in a hurry.

#27 ·
Exactly. Prices are amazing but I would only order from them for back burnerish sort of projects... If I'm ordering parts for a bike im relying on or where I need my order before a trip that's approaching, would always spend the extra coin to buy from within the states

#28 ·
Thankfully this is a back burnerish project. But DHL is pretty awful. I guess I can't expect much having two fatbike rims shipped from Germany for $22. Nonetheless, it's trying my patience to be sure. I refuse to order the rest of the components for the build until I know the rims arrive in decent shape.

#30 ·
My order went like this...

8/20/15 I placed the order.
8/28/15 I received and email asking for a photo of my credit card.
8/29/15 I sent the photo
8/30/15 I received a confirmation email that they received the photo and the order was being processed.
9/2/15 I received an email my order shipped.
9/9/15 I received my order in San Diego.

If it were not for the delay with having to send a photo of my credit card I would have received my order in a very reasonable amount of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.