mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Bike Stolen, Need New Bike

I bought a used bike for $200, and invested almost $400 into it. Had it locked up in the middle of the day, downtown, only to have it stolen. I'm now in the market for a cheap-o to ride back and forth to school. I'm looking for a MOUNTAIN bike like the Nashbar AT-1 they have selling for $199....nevermind, the price went up $229. I'm looking at around $200 SHIPPED or less...anything out there?
    08' Jamis Trail X1
    New: Front Wheel + Disc Brakes + Tire, Front Fork, Seat, & Pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    just wondering what kind of lock did u lock it with and how was it stolen?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    kryptonite cable i got at a local bike shop. It got stolen on main street at around 4 in the afternoon.
    08' Jamis Trail X1
    New: Front Wheel + Disc Brakes + Tire, Front Fork, Seat, & Pedals.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My advice: look on Craigslist or at your school for used bikes again. Odds are you won't be very happy with any new bikes you get for $200 -- most of them will be Pacific brands like Magna. Usually you can get a bike in rideable condition for $50 (cables and brake pads, maybe a new chain if it's rusty).

And however much you have to spend, put aside $50 for a Kryptonite or Onguard U-lock -- there just aren't any cable locks that can stand up to bolt cutters. A good U-lock can still be cut with an angle grinder, but usually bike thieves will just move on to the next bike over with a cable lock.