Wearin down the sideknobs
    May 2007

Bike rental business questions

I'm daydreaming about opening a bike rental business and I am looking for manufacturers, retailers, riders, whoever will sell (or give ) me 10-20 bikes cheaply. MTB, road, and kids bikes are needed. I'm not picky on brands, color, high tech doo-dads. But I need good bikes that will last 3+ seasons.

Somebody stop me from going to Wal-Mart and picking up a freight container full of their junk.

All options considered

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I recommend getting used bikes since you are going to have to maintain them anyway and your customers wont expect a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    most places have a rental fleet, of current gear. You buy the bikes at the dealer cost, and then rent them out all season, making money off the rentals. Then at the end of each season, sell the bikes off through your business, ebay, MTBR, whatever - they'll almost pay for their original cost to you, and turn that $$ around and buy a new fleet for the coming year.

You need to narrow down to a few brands you're interested in and fit your needs, and then try and contact them to get information about finding a regional rep, or a national inside rep that deals specially with rental businesses.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would say Trek or Giant is your best, as they have complete line of bikes to meet your needs, and exellent service and dealer support. Also these two brands give you the best bang for your buck!

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Living in a vacation destination there are few different rental models currently in action.

One bike sells mid range to high end bikes, offers full bike service and has an in house coffee shop. The coffee shop has a different name implying that it is leased space, like the old department store model. They rent one bike - Giant's second from the bottom model. Renting requires a Credit Card and a Driver's License. At the end of the year they sell them. I have never seen anyone riding these bikes, but they do appear worn.

Another is part of a huge resort. They rent cruisers only. All the cruisers have been painted yellow displaying the resorts name and a number for identification. These bikes are on the road every day.

A local ACE Hardware also rents cruisers. All the bikes appear to have been professionally refinished in bright colors that fit the sub tropical environs. On each bike appears a small display indicating ownership and fleet number. These bikes seem to rent regularly, because the stock fluctuates.

A local bike and kayak rental shop has been in business since the 1960s. They also sell a limited number of bikes and kayaks and perform repair work as well. This shop does not relabel their rentals and does not replace either. They rent everything and anything. They stock a bunch of cruisers, a few MTBs, and a couple of old road bikes. Owner says he makes a lot of many selling tubes and portable pumps. He charges you if he drives out to fix a flat.

Do some searches for bike shops in vacation spots. See what you can learn. Make a couple of 2 PM phone calls and see if any owners will talk to you. Folks in the rental business in my little la la land are a pretty easy going group. If you contact them during down time most will be happy for the distraction.

Wearin down the sideknobs
    May 2007
    Beautiful! Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming.
    Uncle Gravity loves us and wants us to come closer. -wadester