Exploreur de Citée

New question here. Bike rear rack? What is the best?

What is the best brand to purchase bike rear rack? I wanna get a good quality and a heavy duty one if possible...

I know they have 2 functions...
    - Keep out mud
    - Holds stuff

What is the best brand? Price and links perhaps? If you have some negatives comments, I want to know it too. Feel free to discuss about it, I want to know it all about it!

Hope you guys get what I mean by "bike rear rack".

PS: I will be delighted if they were AUS$. But neither the less, post it up if you have even a tiny ideas...
    D.Xenotime

Exploreur de Citée
    I mean they are like this... What are they called?

This is a bad one I know, that is why I'm asking your opinions.

I guess this should help understanding it more.

PS: What is it call? I still don't know!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    D.Xenotime

Don't touch me!
    There's a couple things you need to make sure of before buying a rear rack. First, does the bike have eyelets? Second, is the rack not going on a full suspension bike? If you answered no for either question, then you'll likely need a seatpost mounted rack.

If you do have the eyelets then you're good to go... almost. Next question, do you have disc brakes? If so, then you have 2 choices: 1) Go with the previous solution: get a seatpost mounted rack, or 2) get a rack that is disc compatible. I ran across a rack that was compatible with disc brakes (eyelets are usually right under the I.S. tabs), I think it was a Topeak, but not positive.

I went through the above process about 2 months ago, almost buying the wrong rack. I ended up with a Topeak quick release MTX rear rack, bought the additional fender and pannier mounts as well (I had the eyelets on my bike, but have a disc brake adapter covering the left side eyelet). There are two things that I don't like about the Topeak: First, it has the tendency to shift left/right. I haven't tried crazy tight on the QR yet, was thinking about replacing it with a regular bolt since I can get more torque out of it. Second, it doesn't sit 100% level. It kind of leans slightly to one side. At the factory, they must've had a batch or I got a bad one that was off. Too much trouble for me to play the shipping game and potentially receive a similar unit. I think I'll shoot them an email though, as I hear their CS is top notch.

Anyways, hope this helps at least a little.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Jandd makes the best racks, but they are expensive and somewhat heavy.

I'm fond of the Axiom Journey rack. It's really simple to instally and quite strong. In fact, it's rated to higher loads than the Jandd racks according to the information in QBP. Should cost about $30 US. If you plan on having panniers the extra stays are really nice, as they help prevent the bags from bulging or swinging inwards toward the back of your rear wheel.

Topeak also makes a good rack for about $30 that has a channel built in that fits accessories they sell, like a basket that slides in and clips on, and then slides right off when you don't want the basket on.

Axiom also makes some racks for full suspension bikes, but I have no experience with them.

Exploreur de Citée
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    There's a couple things you need to make sure of before buying a rear rack. First, does the bike have eyelets? Second, is the rack not going on a full suspension bike? If you answered no for either question, then you'll likely need a seatpost mounted rack.

If you do have the eyelets then you're good to go... almost. Next question, do you have disc brakes? If so, then you have 2 choices: 1) Go with the previous solution: get a seatpost mounted rack, or 2) get a rack that is disc compatible. I ran across a rack that was compatible with disc brakes (eyelets are usually right under the I.S. tabs), I think it was a Topeak, but not positive.

I went through the above process about 2 months ago, almost buying the wrong rack. I ended up with a Topeak quick release MTX rear rack, bought the additional fender and pannier mounts as well (I had the eyelets on my bike, but have a disc brake adapter covering the left side eyelet). There are two things that I don't like about the Topeak: First, it has the tendency to shift left/right. I haven't tried crazy tight on the QR yet, was thinking about replacing it with a regular bolt since I can get more torque out of it. Second, it doesn't sit 100% level. It kind of leans slightly to one side. At the factory, they must've had a batch or I got a bad one that was off. Too much trouble for me to play the shipping game and potentially receive a similar unit. I think I'll shoot them an email though, as I hear their CS is top notch.

Anyways, hope this helps at least a little.
    What are eyelets? Oh yeah, by the way i'm a HT rider. I have disk brakes... I don't want them to mount on my back wheel hub!

I mean, have a stare at the picture again... I want the bottom bit cut off. Like you said, I want it (rack) to be mounted by the seat post.

Check the mounted image on this reply...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Xenotime; 11-04-2006 at 05:20 PM.
    D.Xenotime

Exploreur de Citée
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    Jandd makes the best racks, but they are expensive and somewhat heavy.

I'm fond of the Axiom Journey rack. It's really simple to instally and quite strong. In fact, it's rated to higher loads than the Jandd racks according to the information in QBP. Should cost about $30 US. If you plan on having panniers the extra stays are really nice, as they help prevent the bags from bulging or swinging inwards toward the back of your rear wheel.

Topeak also makes a good rack for about $30 that has a channel built in that fits accessories they sell, like a basket that slides in and clips on, and then slides right off when you don't want the basket on.

Axiom also makes some racks for full suspension bikes, but I have no experience with them.
    The Axiom Journey QR-Seatpost rack looks good... How much weight can it support??? By the way, can it act as a fender too when there is no loads?
    D.Xenotime

mtbr member

You want the best?

If you're really looking for the best rack out there you gotta check out these racks from Old Man Mountain. Not only are they burly and extremely functional, they also fit just about any bike imaginable. The cost is about a $100 depending on the model you chose, but its well worth it for the high quality made in the USA.

Why do I care? I bought one for my Great Divide Mtn Bike Route tour a couple years back and it was such an awesome product I wanna see them succeed.

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/index.htm

mtbr member
    Try nashbar.com they have a very good selection of racks and rack & bag combos for sale.

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?s...731&browse=all

Exploreur de Citée
    Thanks you everyone, I got myself a:
    Topeak Super Tourist DX (disk mount)

I had a though of the:
    Topeak MTX beamrack

But it down't carry much loads. Maximum 9kg. The one I bought could have a capacity of 25 kg.

Thanks you all! It was $AUD 70.
    D.Xenotime