Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Bike Nashbar 30% Off for ID Theft

I got a letter from BN, said they got hacked and credit card numbers ripped off. If you get the letter, you get a one time code good for 30% off your next purchase. Too bad they don't have anything I want.

banned
    Just on principle I wouldn't shop with them due to the fact that they didn't act after knowing there was a breach.

Former Bike Wrench
    Yea it happened to me, no money out of my pocket but a PITA anyway. But I got the letter and needed a new pair of shoes so I purchased a pair that were on sale anyway so I got them pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    So all the account information was stolen, but Nashbar would not remove the online account passwords???? You can't be serious????

Enjoy your 30% off, more orders are to follow (not to your address).

These crooks were faster than Nasbar's snail mail, thanks to AMEX fraudulent transactions at Apple and Crutchfield where not authorized.
    Last edited by ozvena; 07-30-2009 at 02:55 PM.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ozvena
    So all the account information was stolen, but Nashbar would not remove the online account passwords???? You can't be serious????

Enjoy your 30% off, more orders are to follow.

These crooks were faster than Nasbar's snail mail, thanks to AMEX fraudulent transactions at Apple and Crutchfield where not authorized.
    I actually notified them when it happened and closed that account immediately. Nashbar is not the first online retailer to have this happen...and they won't be the last.

mtbr member
    Happened to me and I only made one purchase in early 2008. I have no letter and had to reverse $400 of charges but I caught it since I chk my card activity a couple of times per week. No bloody letter though!!!

offroader
    Dec 2008
    You can't combine the 30% off with their other deals, and it has an expiration date after 1 month. Not much of a deal for the inconvenience this has cause a lot of us.

mtbr member
    I got my letter yesterday, think I will pass on any purchases.
    07 Spec. FSR XC
    08 Gary Fisher HiFi

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    You can't combine the 30% off with their other deals, and it has an expiration date after 1 month. Not much of a deal for the inconvenience this has cause a lot of us.
    To clarify...you can't combine it with other discount codes (like 30%+20%)...it does give you 30% off of whatever the discounted price of an item is

No-Brakes Cougar
    I got that letter, too. I had my cc info stolen off of their database, a bunch of fraudulent charges and weird packages shipped to my house. I'm also getting slammed with junk mail, email and mobile text spam and telemarketer calls. F*ck Nashbar and their 30% off coupon in the @$$ with a big rubber d!ck.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

BBW
    mtbr member
    Its amazing that people support that shiat for greed (and efing 30%, that's how much you are worth?)

knock-knock...
    i got stuff in the mail, telemarketers and my card compromised. Got some weird ones like acai berry supplements and the like. All kinds of start your own internet business type things.

Don't think that coupon will be spent.
    i smell a rat-Patrick Henry

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This is about the fourth thread I've seen on this situation. Nashbar/Performance was reprehensible in their action since, I've heard, that they knew of the problem long before they acted. I was one of their "victims" although I haven't received a letter yet. I think that a class action suit is the only way to react to their negligence (even though I've never been involved in one before), but haven't been able to find an attorney who posts on MTBR and is interested. The renumeration might be slight, but at least we can partially "repay" BN.

mtbr member
    There is no damage, so your chances of success are slim (I am not an attorney). Pick your battle. This is unlikely the battle you want to play.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

Its got what plants crave
    Those companies blow.

One piece of advice I might give you all is to get a new card at LEAST once per year. Won't matter if your CC number is stolen if that card doesn't exist anymore! Since I use a debit card frequently I wear them out fast, which IMO is looking like a good thing because I get a new card number each time. I suggest others do it as well!
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Geez, I had no idea about this until the letter came. Apparently others of you knew about this and suffered from it -- I did not, as far as I can tell.

And for those of you unhappy with Nashbar and my original message, consider: All I'm doing is sharing information, not supporting or endorsing it. If you don't like the message, say so. Oh, I guess you did.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ozvena
    There is no damage, so your chances of success are slim (I am not an attorney). Pick your battle. This is unlikely the battle you want to play.

Most, maybe all, of the individuals had their debits resolved, so you're right that there's no damage. It just pissed me off to have to resolve the problem. Thanks for your comment.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Bank of America was very proactive with me in this incident. They must have found out about the list of stolen numbers and sent me a new debit card before I even knew there was an issue. I checked and double checked my statements just to make sure nothing weird was on there.

Nashbar has a screwed up billing system. Or did. Have not ordered from them in awhile.

I don't plan on ordering from Nashbar ever again. Neither should you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Feel free to share coupon codes with those of us who may not have been effected by the breach. :P

These things happen. Companies are supposed to act immediately when it occurs and provide the necessary corrective action.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    Bank of America was very proactive with me in this incident. They must have found out about the list of stolen numbers and sent me a new debit card before I even knew there was an issue. I checked and double checked my statements just to make sure nothing weird was on there.

Nashbar has a screwed up billing system. Or did. Have not ordered from them in awhile.

I don't plan on ordering from Nashbar ever again. Neither should you.
    I think my Citibank Mastercard did the same thing. They promptly closed my old account and sent me a new card before I even knew what happened.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount
    Feel free to share coupon codes with those of us who may not have been effected by the breach. :P

These things happen. Companies are supposed to act immediately when it occurs and provide the necessary corrective action.
    The coupon codes are associated with each individual account. Unless you're also planning on using their accounts I don't think you'll be able to use it.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by newaccount

Sure thing, just give me your name, address, email, home and mobile phone numbers, social security number, mother's maiden name, blood type, name of your first pet.....

Oh wait, I already lined my bird's cage with the letter that had the coupon code. Sorry
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member

please share promo codes :D

I need a new helmet and 30% off sounds like a good thing

offroader
    Dec 2008
    You can't share the promo codes. They're associated with the individual's account.

mtbr member

Ahh man

Danget. I guess I'll just wait next week until I can get the 20% off coupon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast