Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bike-Discount.de

H&S Bike-Discount | hier sind die gnstigen Preise ....

Anyone ever use them?

Experience?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    They are a great shop. I have bought from them several times.

I do live in Germany though, so no idea of their international delivery, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ordered a heap of gear a week or so ago and am waiting on it to turn up. So far service and prices have been outstanding.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What are you seeing from them that appears very well priced ? Also order quite a bit from a few other German stores. -thx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jasong View Post
    What are you seeing from them that appears very well priced ? Also order quite a bit from a few other German stores. -thx
    Certain tyres are an absolute bargain.....

Pretty much 99.9% of gear at bike-discount.de is well priced compared to anything in Australia. The other thing for me is they may not be the absolute lowest prices around but when I can order everything I want in one order, I can make substantial savings on shipping also.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack0207 View Post
    Certain tyres are an absolute bargain.....

Pretty much 99.9% of gear at bike-discount.de is well priced compared to anything in Australia.
    Much sympathy for australians / canadians - it seems that everything there is ridiculously overpriced and in no way explained by logistics aspects. What is the real reasoning behind this gouging ?

Several Euro (German) brands have poor distributors in other places, eg. Schwalbe in the US, Rohloff, BUMM, Schmidt, SKS, tubus, etc. Going "gray market" via sites like these indeed is incredibly valuable. If you're willing to do a bit more legwork, many of those sites will do price matching to other german sites. Then you can get a very nicely priced package together.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Much sympathy for australians / canadians - it seems that everything there is ridiculously overpriced and in no way explained by logistics aspects. What is the real reasoning behind this gouging ?
    Pretty simple economics: Small market, greater control exerted by a small number of distributors over most products (and their alternatives) in the market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    Pretty simple economics: Small market, greater control exerted by a small number of distributors over most products (and their alternatives) in the market.
    Plus the fact you have an importer, then a wholesaler and then a retailer each marking the products up which compound quickly plus the fact the market here is smaller so the importer usually get a price which is dearer than the O/S retailer to start with.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack0207 View Post
    Plus the fact you have an importer, then a wholesaler and then a retailer each marking the products up which compound quickly plus the fact the market here is smaller so the importer usually get a price which is dearer than the O/S retailer to start with.
    I think many of these manufacturers should have a better policy working through a local (to country) retailer to sell these direct to consumers -- the end result is that their product ends up being way too expensive, and definitely not competitive with local products. But their quality is often superior. This is often the case with many german marks in the US for instance.

But, the workaround is of course what you're doing and I've done.

mtbr member

Shipping to USA

Anybody care to opine on their deliveries to USA if you have first hand experience with this shop?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My order turned up safe and sound yesterday. Very happy with the price, products and service. Will definitely use them again.
    Fitted the new Hans dampf and couldn't be happier.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Mmmm. Are you allowed to give scathing reviews nowadays? Lets just say that customer service isn't their strong suit - and I consider myself a pretty "easy" customer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    Mmmm. Are you allowed to give scathing reviews nowadays? Lets just say that customer service isn't their strong suit - and I consider myself a pretty
    I think if you're interested in actually affecting others opinion, you need to give details. Anyone could have said what you've said about any store in existence, with everything going just fine.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    I think if you're interested in actually affecting others opinion, you need to give details. Anyone could have said what you've said about any store in existence, with everything going just fine.
    But of course, why would I be motivated to trash a store that I thought highly of? Jenson, CRC, Universal Cycles, Wiggle and others have been great to me in the past.

I've had 3 orders in with these guys.

Sensational prices no doubt, but your string of luck will run out eventually.

First order arrived, poorly packaged, but luckily no damage to the items. I should have left it there.

Second order arrived, poorly packaged, damage to what I ordered. I emailed them advising of the damage (by their policy I had 2 weeks to advise them). They didn't reply for 2 weeks, by which time I was not eligible for a refund of course. After a month of backwards and forwards, playing their frustrating games, they offered me a coupon for about 1/3 of the purchase price. This wasn't what I wanted, but I realised that it was the most I'd ever get.

I put in a final order, using the coupon. that was slightly over the coupon value. The credit card merchant application they used advised me that everything went through fine but of course a few days later they advised me that it hadn't. "Just put in another order and we will correct the final amount" (as the coupon had now been used and wasn't valid).

The final amount was adjusted to something that didn't even make sense, and charged my card.

I'm currently in the process of having my credit card company investigate the transaction. Who knows what will come of it. One thing is for sure, I'll never shop with them again.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jasevr4 View Post
    First order arrived, poorly packaged, but luckily no damage to the items. I should have left it there.
    Why wasn't the carrier questioned or put to blame?

It's not clear what these orders go through when passing internationally - customs processing or how they're treated while in transit for 3+ weeks (similar cases for me).

I'm not doubting your experiences, but I'm saying that in order to be credible one must give details on what the problems were, how they were handled, and why someone wasn't expecting 110% customer service (as most americans do) for any small complaint.

Warrior's Society

It's not clear what these orders go through when passing internationally - customs processing or how they're treated while in transit for 3+ weeks (similar cases for me).

I'm not doubting your experiences, but I'm saying that in order to be credible one must give details on what the problems were, how they were handled, and why someone wasn't expecting 110% customer service (as most americans do) for any small complaint.

The carrier did not package the item up. Sounds like the shop/retailer just threw items in a box.

Plus, as the consumer, I should not have to go back to the delivery service if my package/items show up damaged. That is what the shop/retailer is there for. If the shop/retailer tells you that you have to file a damage claim with the carrier yourself......call and dispute the charges with your CC company.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Im currently awaiting a set of wheels from them for over 2 weeks and my follow-up contacts so far it hasn't been going well. To this day, according to DHL tracking it's still in Germany. Emails inquring about this issue to bike-discount.de and DHL-Germany is as about as helpful as talking to a brickwall.

We'll see if we have a semi-happy ending to this. I say semi because the frustrations so far can only make this transaction merely OK if it does make it here relatively soon and without issue. Definitely a FAR FAR cry from my multiple experiences from another overseas vendor, Chain Reaction Cycles who have been absolutely great!
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had good luck with my $500 order from them... arrived safely packaged in just under two weeks from the order date. I can't believe how cheap their prices are...

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    I understand your point, but take for example:

Alfine hubbed wheelset:

Those axles are pretty "pointy", wouldn't you say? Personally if I was packing them I'd use one of the many available plastic "plugs" that make the axles blunt like most vendors would.

The box the wheelset was sent in was made of some of the thinnest cardboard I'd ever seen. If I would have complained to the postal service they would have laughed in my face. I have freighted, shipped and posted a lot of gear over the years - as the sender, you need to at least put some effort into protecting the item you are sending if you want to make the carrier liable.

In addition to this, most carriers require the sender to put the claim in, not the receiver. When your sender is in another country, has their money (doesn't care), and claims to have a poor grasp of English depending on how it suits them at the time, you're flat outta luck.

I'm deliberately not posting 100% of the details here because I have seen cases in the past of businesses threatening legal action over negative feedback online. Unlikely I know, but still. That and in all honesty, I've wasted a lot of time typing (and swearing under my breath!) in regards to this business in the past.

Why wasn't I expecting 110% customer service? In all honesty, I'm not sure I ever do with online orders. However I was expecting a "reasonable" amount for the first order. The second order sucked me in with the cheap prices though. That was my fault - after seeing how poorly packaged the first order was, I should have known to stay away.

It's true, you get what you pay for. My money will be going to one of the many, many awesome online retailers in the future (and obviously my LBS assuming they can get me what I want). There's competitive prices, and then there's this place.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    uld not have to go back to the delivery service if my package/items show up damaged. That is what the shop/retailer is there for. If the shop/retailer tells you that you have to file a damage claim with the carrier yourself......call and dispute the charges with your CC company.
    The shipper can not know what will happen when it goes through customs, to what point it is opened up, how the carrier treats it during, as mentioned, 3 weeks or more of shipment (I've done this with several $$$$ orders too).

Disputing with the CC company is exactly what I'm talking about with Americans expecting 110% service with vendors. There will be different rules for contracts with Mastercard/Visa with Euro vendors, check those terms of service. Credit cards aren't as all powerful as in the US for Euro purchases - part of the responsibility falls back to the consumer. Americans have abused credit cards and usually the vendors suffer - which gets both parties to play the "rules" game afterward.

Yeah, I think over time that a vendor should gain a bit of knowledge of what's happeneing to packages that are destined for far away, and try to mitigate potential damage with containing things better. Nothing is gonna fix what potentially could be wreaked by unknown external third parties. That's the feedback I've given back for my purchases after having received them. But what you're doing is gray market shopping - and the vendor isn't making more money for going through all the hoops you're expecting for the same money they'd have from a local person.

My point : obviously you're (or those that do this) wanting to save money, are not in a rush, know that there are many more external factors affecting shipping, so try to mention these things beforehand. Maybe you did. Packages get lost and beat up. How many non-English speaking customers order from US stores and demand that the store speaks to them in their non-native language? Things get lost in translation, the stores isn't making any more money on these. Be respectful. They will change their policies and many of us will suffer after they get burned (eg, "call your credit card company and dispute").

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I appreciate the time you've given for this vendor experience. I order from German suppliers and received an order of 25 tires and other items from Bike24. They matched prices of other in stock items. The shipping time took 3 weeks. I had no problems, but its hard to damage tires. I'll ask for special wrapping for any potentially damaging item for future orders.
    Thanks.

Warrior's Society
    The shipper can not know what will happen when it goes through customs, to what point it is opened up, how the carrier treats it during, as mentioned, 3 weeks or more of shipment (I've done this with several $$$$ orders too).

Disputing with the CC company is exactly what I'm talking about with Americans expecting 110% service with vendors. There will be different rules for contracts with Mastercard/Visa with Euro vendors, check those terms of service. Credit cards aren't as all powerful as in the US for Euro purchases - part of the responsibility falls back to the consumer. Americans have abused credit cards and usually the vendors suffer - which gets both parties to play the "rules" game afterward.

Yeah, I think over time that a vendor should gain a bit of knowledge of what's happeneing to packages that are destined for far away, and try to mitigate potential damage with containing things better. Nothing is gonna fix what potentially could be wreaked by unknown external third parties. That's the feedback I've given back for my purchases after having received them. But what you're doing is gray market shopping - and the vendor isn't making more money for going through all the hoops you're expecting for the same money they'd have from a local person.

My point : obviously you're (or those that do this) wanting to save money, are not in a rush, know that there are many more external factors affecting shipping, so try to mention these things beforehand. Maybe you did. Packages get lost and beat up. How many non-English speaking customers order from US stores and demand that the store speaks to them in their non-native language? Things get lost in translation, the stores isn't making any more money on these. Be respectful. They will change their policies and many of us will suffer after they get burned (eg, "call your credit card company and dispute").

You missed my point about disputing te charge with the CC company.

If I order something from an Internet retailer(seller).....regardless of where they are/what language is being spoken........if the box/item arrives damaged.......and I contact the Internet Retailer(seller) and they tell me that I have to file a claim with the delivery company(UPS, FedEx, US Postal, DHL, etc.).........that tells me the seller is not willing to help with the problem with the transaction. The sales transaction is not complete until I recieve my item in the condition promised.

When a damage claim is filed, the shipping company will inspect the box, packaging and item. If the shipping company deems that the damage could have been prevented had the seller met the packing requirements of the shipper, and denies the claim, then I am stuck with a damaged product. I don't get to choose the shipper when I place an order.....that is usually chosen by the seller.

This would not happen with legitimate sellers.....Jenson, PricePoint, Chain Reaction, Speedgoat, etc.

It is the sellers responsibility to ensure that I recieve my brand new item, in brand new condition. If is damaged in transit, the seller is still responsible for it....that is why it gets returned to the seller an the seller files the damage claim with the shipper. It is all part of being an online retailer.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Very good experience. Recommend.

I had a very good experience with bike-discount.de. I ordered some Conti cyclocross tires and tubes and got them delievered to my home in Taiwan in 9 days.The tires were packed in a box that was quite a bit bigger than necessary, so the box showed some signs of being slightly squished, but there were no tears or any other damage to the box. The tires were packed with minimal packing material (packaging paper). Obviously, there's not going to be any damage to tires, and I can't say how components or entire bikes would fare. But, based on my experience, I would agree with other reviewers that a lot depends on how good the shipper in your country is.

As for cost, including shipping, everything was cheaper than if I had ordered the same thing from Performance Bike. In fact, I did order the same thing from Performance, but they took 5 weeks to calculate additional charges for international shipping, and by that time, they no longer had the tires in stock. I do not recommend making international orders from Performance (I think their customer service is poor to begin with, but I just don't think they have the capacity or desire to sell things internationally).

As for the bike-direct.de customer service, they answered the phone, spoke English, and were helpful. After ordering, I got an email 3 days later with the link to track the DHL shipment. (However, the DHL tracking only helps for tracking DHL. Once it left Germany, I had no info at all about the shipping.)

I would definitely recommend bike-discount.de.

mtbr member
    I bought the last 29er 2012 Flash 3 Carbon, it was sent by DHL and very well packed.

I had no problems but like any new bike had to tighten the BB Pedal crank as it came loose after x4-5 rides. The service was tip-top, high & I got a discount. Would go back to them again.

I live in Switzerland, so it was international for me.

I never buy in the US as wiggle in the UK for parts is amongst the cheapest. Amazing how you folks buy gear from .de

mtbr member
    I used bike discount a few weeks ago and had great service. Took six days to my door in Canada. With this experience i just place another order last week for a set of saint m820 brakes. No one could touch the price. Hope this order comes in quick and flawless like my first order.

Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast