Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Try running the trackingnumber on USPS.com.
    DHL from Germany is their postal service, like USPS. DHL elsewhere is a courier.
    I bought a pair of Nobby Nic 2.6s from bike-discount.de and they shipped with a DHL tracking number that was active pretty quickly, but is very generic; no cities, I can only infer it's in the US and guess when it'll be delivered. USPS tracking says that's an invalid number.
    The latest update, from DHL 3 days ago just says:
    The shipment has left the import parcel center in the destination country.
    Next step:
    The shipment is being transported to the delivery depot.

I'm not worried, just impatient.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

mtbr member
    Edit: they're on the truck for delivery today according to the DHL site.
    Status From Fri, 06.01.17 05:21 a.m./p.m.

The shipment is being prepared for delivery in the delivery depot
    Next step

The shipment is being delivered to the recipient
    Last edited by ARandomBiker; 01-06-2017 at 09:19 AM.
    Don’t modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

hardcore
    Jul 2010
    There are 2 things called "DHL". If the tracking number only works on DHL.de this is regular post and in US I guess is delivered by USPS. If works on DHL.com is the regular DHL express parcel service and It will be delivered by the yellow/red guys themselves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone got a voucher code for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hardcore
    Jul 2010
    I never seen vouchers for the german sites and I'm using them (bike24, bike-discount and bike-components) for several years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEB View Post
    I never seen vouchers for the german sites and I'm using them (bike24, bike-discount and bike-components) for several years.
    Great thanks. Since the voucher/ coupon box is there on the order fork. I had to ask!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jct
    mtbr member
    ordered XT brakes and 2 nobby nics 2.6. 7 days from order to delivery. box was in great shape. no complaints at all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    ordered XT brakes and 2 nobby nics 2.6. 7 days from order to delivery. box was in great shape. no complaints at all.
    Same experience here. Ordered a set of Saints and a set of 2.35 NN's and they arrived in 8 business days. Only downside was delivery required a signature. Luckily my PO is only 1.5 miles away. It was easier to just pick it up than sign the card for a rescheduled delivery.

If you are not in a hurry and not needing something in a 3 day window this place provides huge savings. By my calculations I saved 100$ over Chain Reaction.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Got my new wheels in 11 days from Germany to USA. Very impressive. Ordered from them because they were the only place I could find the new DT Swiss EX spline wheelset in stock. Will be ordering from them again.
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Got my new wheels in 11 days from Germany to USA. Very impressive. Ordered from them because they were the only place I could find the new DT Swiss EX spline wheelset in stock. Will be ordering from them again.
    which model Spline did you get, and what's the internal width?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    which model Spline did you get, and what's the internal width?
    2017 EX 1501 Spline One 29" 25mm internal width
    https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/MTB-W...-Spline-ONE-en

I am using them with a Minion DHF 2.5" in the front and a DHR 2.3" in the back. Love these wheels.

mtbr member
    Anyone else getting this message? I only seem to get it on certain items:

"Due to legal restrictions this product can't be send to your chosen delivery country"
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalkerfiveo View Post

"Due to legal restrictions this product can't be send to your chosen delivery country"
    If you are looking at SRAM stuff, SRAM really cracked down on foreign businesses selling to customers in the US. For example you can't even see SRAM stuff on Chain Reaction's website if you are in the US. US retailers were complaining to SRAM that the overseas places had lower prices and they were losing sales.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    If you are looking at SRAM stuff, SRAM really cracked down on foreign businesses selling to customers in the US. For example you can't even see SRAM stuff on Chain Reaction's website if you are in the US. US retailers were complaining to SRAM that the overseas places had lower prices and they were losing sales.
    Yes. Ditto with Mavic, Fox, and Enve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    yes it was SRAM products. I guess now the question is, why is SRAM selling to foreign businesses so cheaply and not the US when the dollar is a stronger currency than a majority of other currencies. Hmmmmmmm........

mtbr member
    yes it was SRAM products. I guess now the question is, why is SRAM selling to foreign businesses so cheaply and not the US when the dollar is a stronger currency than a majority of other currencies. Hmmmmmmm........
    Because the american distributors work harder at distributing and deserve a bigger piece of the pie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Because the american distributors work harder at distributing and deserve a bigger piece of the pie.
    Huh? How does that answer the question asked?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    it's not a legal restriction, it's a business decision.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    it's not a legal restriction, it's a business decision.
    Diving into nomenclature details here, but it is a legal restriction from the dealer's perspective: they likely have a legally binding contract w/ SRAM (or a Euro entity representing SRAM) which prohibits them from shipping to USA. So I think its accurate for them (dealers) to call it a "legal restriction."

We don't know that SRAM is necessarily setting wholesale prices any cheaper in Europe than the USA. Other factors are in play.
    - European trade law is arguably more consumer-friendly than the USA, for example, I believe that it is illegal for a manufacturer to dictate the pricing at retail level of "downstream" businesses. Whereas in the USA, unfortunately (imho) this has become rampant. Dealer agreements of many USA manufacturers in the USA prohibit deviation from MSRP except under very specific circumstances. So part of the low prices you see in Europe may be a result of looser price "controls" so the retailer can freely sell at lower margins than MSRP.
    - Manufacturers may have set European MSRP's, and corresponding wholesale costs, back when exchange rates weren't so dollar-friendly.
    - Manufacturers aren't setting prices based on costs (though that is obviously a key variable). They set prices based on what the market will bear. In Europe that means they set MSRP such that, when 19% VAT is figured in, the net prices to consumers are roughly similar to USA.

Take away that VAT, and drop another 10-20% due to exchange rate differences since Euro prices were originally set, and things start looking WAY cheaper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    agreed, but a contract is not "legal". It's simply a condition on both parties which they agree to. "Legal" is something required by an outside entity (govt's).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You can invent whatever nomenclature you want, like I said this is diving into details, but suggesting that "a contract is not legal" seems ridiculous. A contract is quite literally a legal document.

Consider the first definition of the first hit on Google of "contract definition":
    a written or spoken agreement, especially one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.

Virtually all inter-business contracts are legally binding, governed by and enforced (if need be) by laws/governments. That is their whole purpose: to bind the parties to the terms of the contract and the relevant laws of the region/state/country, and to provide legal recourse to a party should another party default on the terms.

I guarantee you that any dealer agreement from SRAM includes a governance clause, which defines the region whose law applies to the contract.

I agree that the retailer in this example willfully entered into a contract, which was a business decision. And in theory, they could choose to exit that contract, also a business decision; but then they wouldn't have any SRAM to sell. But so long as they are party to the contract, it is a "legal restriction" to adhere to it.

mtbr member
    Great point on the VAT InertiaMan.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It's kind of funny, I know a few people who bought lots of SRAM stuff from bike24 last year that they would have never bought anywhere near MSRP. Sram's MSRPs are very high. They want $380-450 for the new Judy, a MoCo budget fork with 30mm stanchions...compared to $225 for the Manitou M30.

IMO it's very unlikely that shutting down overseas sales is going to result in more USA retail sales. The people who were buying from those venues are advanced consumers who are not just going to pay up; they'll buy something else instead.

mtbr member
    The good news is you can still get Saints for 255$

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I ordered some wheels from Bike-24 that supposedly shipped on the 6th. Tracking has not updated since. I hate not knowing. I'm not cut out for this. I think my first excursion into buying from german sites will be my last. Since I placed the order wiggle has gotten the wheels back in stock. Price would have been higher but not that much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I ordered some wheels from Bike-24 that supposedly shipped on the 6th. Tracking has not updated since. I hate not knowing. I'm not cut out for this. I think my first excursion into buying from german sites will be my last. Since I placed the order wiggle has gotten the wheels back in stock. Price would have been higher but not that much.
    Similar experience when I ordered. For a few days it didn't update. Then when it did it was to inform me items were in customs. It didn't update again until the morning it was actually being delivered.

For weirdos like me who check tracking 3 times a day, it's excruciating. But, I saved 120$ over Chain Reaction!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    The tracking updates are very spotty. it is annoying but i got mine in 11 days.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Holy crap! My wheels cleared customs yesterday. Blackout period was 16 days,

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    That USD $$ limit on taxes/duties used to be $250. It was just recently raised to $800.
    Can anyone confirm that DHL is no longer charging customs brokerage fees for orders under $800 to the US? It appears that should be the case, but I'd hate to get nailed with $100 fee on a $300 order.

The CBP confirms the "De minimis" limit has raised from $200 to $800, assuming one order per perseon, per day.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/nationa...-increases-800

DHL's guidelines appear to back this up as well, on page 8 of their Customs Clearance Guidelines.

http://www.dhl-usa.com/content/dam/d...port_guide.pdf

De Minimis $0 to $800 USD
    General Commodities

Restrictions may apply:
    • Partner Government Agency
    • Licensed Goods
    • Alcohol & Tobacco

Consolidated Manifest Clearance as
    Section 1321
    DUTY FREE clearance

Just wondering if people are still getting blindsided by extra brokerage fees. I dont mind paying duty, since tax is tax. I just dont want to pay a brokerage fee.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have never had DHL charge me a fee. As long as you are under the limit, DHL should not be getting charged and therefore it is illegal for them to charge you.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

aka: Bucky Fikes
    I've had several orders delivered to me here in CA since that quote you copied. USPS Postman drives up, drops a big 'ol box full of Schwalbes and then drives away. Never any additional charges and between myself and a friend, we've had orders close to the $800, in fact I think my buddy had one well over but never a charge.
    Always ride with a purpose.

Land of the 230+
    Awesome. I feel a bit more confident I wont get a surprise fee after delivery. Ordered my own big 'ol box full of Schwalbes. Thanks guys.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123