Dirt Huffer

BicycleOutfittersIndy.com 25% off code

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    + Rep headed your way AC/BC. Just scored a Cane Creek 110 series tapered headset in blue for $105.30.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

More Torque
    Always had good luck with BOI, and scored some great deals with their coupons in the past.

-D

mtbr member
    Nice find. Time for new shoes and pedals.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Picked up a POC Trabec helmet for $90 shipped.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Any of you who ordered get shipping confirmation e-mail? I got a receipt for order, but no shipping information.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Any of you who ordered get shipping confirmation e-mail? I got a receipt for order, but no shipping information.
    Same thing here. I'll be calling them tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ordered by phone on the 22nd, and received shipping confirmation email with tracking number on the 23rd.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I ordered on the 23rd and got an email today (29th) that it has shipped. Presumably BOI doesn't inventory everything on their site: like others with a similar model, they order ~daily from BTI or QBP, so there is a 2-3 day lag in the shipping of most orders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I ordered on the 23rd and got an email today (29th) that it has shipped. Presumably BOI doesn't inventory everything on their site: like others with a similar model, they order ~daily from BTI or QBP, so there is a 2-3 day lag in the shipping of most orders.
    Yeah, that's what happened with me. BOI emailed me back quickly, and I give them props for communication. However, I've never been a big fan of that business model. Not a big deal, but if you expect something to ship quickly, it's a pain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I think the we-order-when-you-order model is a very efficient solution to a challenging problem. Once you get beyond the core mainstream components, it would be impractical for even large dealers to keep inventory of the 20,000 other components that folks might need.

The effectiveness of this model pivots on the frequency of the dealers' orders and the ship times of the distributor. My experience with shops that do this well -- I'm thinking aebike.com as an example -- has been very positive, because they reputedly place orders on QBP daily, and QBP ships overnight. So in some cases, an order you place on Monday is shipped to you on Tuesday, or worst case on Wednesday, despite the item not being in stock initially.

I'm more than willing to accept that 2 day delay in return for access to a huge inventory of parts at competitive prices.

Some dealers, who place orders less frequently with the distributors, make this model look bad because the delay in your item shipping might be weeks instead of days. You need a critical mass of customer traffic to keep the daily orders viable. In addition, many dealers aren't forthcoming about their true inventory/model, which leads to unmet expectations on ship times.

In this case w/ BOI, their ship times were complicated by the holiday weekend, and probably by an unusually high volume due to the sale. There was really only 3 work days between my order being placed and it shipping, which is fine under the circumstances.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I think the we-order-when-you-order model is a very efficient solution to a challenging problem. Once you get beyond the core mainstream components, it would be impractical for even large dealers to keep inventory of the 20,000 other components that folks might need.

The effectiveness of this model pivots on the frequency of the dealers' orders and the ship times of the distributor. My experience with shops that do this well -- I'm thinking aebike.com as an example -- has been very positive, because they reputedly place orders on QBP daily, and QBP ships overnight. So in some cases, an order you place on Monday is shipped to you on Tuesday, or worst case on Wednesday, despite the item not being in stock initially.

I'm more than willing to accept that 2 day delay in return for access to a huge inventory of parts at competitive prices.

Some dealers, who place orders less frequently with the distributors, make this model look bad because the delay in your item shipping might be weeks instead of days. You need a critical mass of customer traffic to keep the daily orders viable. In addition, many dealers aren't forthcoming about their true inventory/model, which leads to unmet expectations on ship times.

In this case w/ BOI, their ship times were complicated by the holiday weekend, and probably by an unusually high volume due to the sale. There was really only 3 work days between my order being placed and it shipping, which is fine under the circumstances.
    Spoken like a true professional. I hear you. The one issue that can become major--as you mentioned--is that the online store might show availability, but then QBP can't fill the order. I've had that happen on occassion. But I hope I didn't leave the impression that I'm disappointed with BOI. It's likely to take 8-10 business days for my order to arrive. That's longer than most stores I usually shop with. Many who likely use the same model, but it's still acceptable.