Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI

Bicycle Wheel Warehouse: too good to be true?

I was looking exactly for a wheelset with DT 5.1 rims laced to DT 240s hubs and DT comp spokes. Bicycle Wheel Warehouse has this weelset for $530. How can that be? Just the rims and hubs from Universalcycles are worth more than that. Even if the build is not good, it's a cheap way to get the components. Is it just me or something doesn't sound right here?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Bicycle Wheel Warehouse is great!! I ordered a set of DT Swiss 240s laced to 4.2d's at their advertised price from the MTBR link and they where shipped the next day at a shipping rate that was very fair. Wheels arrived and they are the real deal. Brand new, straight and true. I highly recommend them.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Straight and true doesn't define a good wheel build. Only if they stand the test of time like that can you say they are well built. But, as I mentioned, the wheel built is substantial cheaper than its components, so I was counting on send them to the LBS to check the tension,

By the way, can you tell me how much was the shipping charges? I'm lazy to create an account and simulate a purchase to see their shipping charges.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    $16 and change to Connecticut from Calif.

$

mtbr member
    I have two sets of wheels (both XC717 laced to XT 6-bolts) from bicycle wheel warehouse sitting in my basement, and one set is on my main ride.

couldnt be happier - customer service is great, and build quality is such that i havent felt or seen any problems yet. they package the wheels well, too, for shipping.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

looking for mo beta

changed my prior post based on other info I found. didn't want to reflect negatively on the BWW.

late
    Last edited by ebrown247; 08-07-2009 at 05:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Hm, sounds strange that they wouldnt reply to emails and their phone is dead. Last time I emailed them with an issue, they were very good about it.

They are most definitely for real, and I have the wheels to prove it =). If youre still unsure, I can also scan my invoice and packing slips from their shipment to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My BWW wheels are great.

As I understand it they buy hubs, spokes, and rims direct in bulk at a pretty good discount, then pass the saving on.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX

mtbr member
    I just had a set of road wheels delivered from BWW and couldn't be happier.

A++

EDIT:

I put on the first 150 KM on them this weekend and they're fantastic!

Can't beat the price either!
    Last edited by Swerny; 08-10-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member

they didn't answer my enquiry either

Quote Originally Posted by ebrown247
    I recently found BWW while surfing for deals. The prices for handbuilt wheels are freaking great. However, reviews on mtbr seem a little over the top, like somebody affiliated posted. I emailed them a few weeks ago and got no response. Called tonight and got a disconnect recording. It seems weird that a scam would target specifically bike wheels but a decent source of dough I guess on a high priced item. Not saying this is a scam, just the opposite, sort of. I want to know it's not so I can get on board. Just seems too good to be true and the disco phone number is no bueno.
    I was really interested in a few options and asked them about the weight a couple of times and never got a response??? I would have bought the wheelset if they just answered their email

ronbo613
    That is unusual BWW would not respond to email or calls. I've always found their customer service to be top notch. Not to mention they build quality wheels at great prices.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Call them and leave a message. Email didn't work for me either. And although I ended up purchasing from elsewhere they answered all pertinent questions about the products which they offer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a road wheelset built by BWW with 240s and mavic open pros. Great wheelset for the money and seem to be very well built. They were always very easy to contact with any questions I had prior to ordering. If they have what you want you usually can't beat their price, my guess is they order a somewhat limited number of rims/hubs/spokes/nips in large volume to get their prices that low. Thumbs up from me!

ob3
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a set of their DT 4.1/XTR wheels. They were very responsive to my email inquiry after delivery. Great wheelset for the money too.

mtbr member

Very helpful and informative on the phone . . .

I talked to a guy for about 1/2 or an hour about wheels in general, comparing theirs to others, trying to get the dilly on their xcr hubs. They are cheap and they seem competent and, as someone else said THEIR SHIPPING IS CHEAP!

One thing, though, they won't do the custom stuff PWB does. I.E. not 2 cross, not drive side/non-drive side, etc.

I was looking at getting a road set with DT 1.1s and he encouraged me to get the Mavic Open Pro for less money.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My experience with them has been pretty good. Sent them an email with a couple of questions and they answered very promptly. Customer service is pretty good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bicycle wheel warehouse is awesome.

We have two sets of their 29er wheels... on my bike and my wife's bike. They arrived great and have held up for a long time without any problems.

mtbr member
    I fully recommend BWW. I have a set of their Blackset Race wheels for my road bike, and for the weight and price they are great. Have well over 1000 miles on them without any issues. Hell when I first purchased them I damaged the freewheel installing the cassette.I told them I messed it up forgetting to install the spacer and without question they shipped another out over night free of charge. I just purchased a set Mountain wheels built with white Sun SOS rims, XT disc hubs and DT spokes for $99 for my single speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i agree with everyone else. they've got the best customer service i've ever experienced...and i've bought tons online!

example.
    I wanted to order some really low-priced wheels for commuting. they ran out before i could order. i emailed them. chris (i think that was his name) personally called me back and asked if there was something else he could build me in the same price range. he built me up another similar wheelset and gave me the same price as the original set. awesome!

most other companies, would say SOL and i'd have never heard from them again. but he personally called me to make sure i was happy. now that's unheard of in the usually, not so professional industry of bike part sales.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Bww = A+++++++++++

I just received my first ever wheel build and couldn't be any happier with the wheels and BWW. Awesome service and Awesome wheels. I was kinda on a budget so I had them build Mavic 717/XT Centerlock/Alloy Nipples/Supercomp Spokes shipped for around $350. I received the wheels within 8 days of ordering and arrived in a very professional package. I've put the wheels to the test over the last week and so far so good. When I get the chance to build a race set, I will definitely look into this company again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ive got some wheels coming from them (ordered tomorrow, DT 5.1d with BWW hubs). I couldnt be happier with their service so far. They even answered the phones and spoke with me for a half hour when they were closed!

anyone know how long it might take me to get my wheels across the country from them??? I cant wait!

mtbr member
    avbcon12, I'm considering ordering that same wheel setup (BWW hub on DT 5.1), have you received your set yet....if so, what do you think? any miles on them yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by farrisw1
    avbcon12, I'm considering ordering that same wheel setup (BWW hub on DT 5.1), have you received your set yet....if so, what do you think? any miles on them yet?
    Unfortunately I have not received them. So for the last 2 weeks ive been sitting here looking at a new bike with nothing to roll on. BWW states 5-10 days for building the wheels plus shipping time on top of that.

As for the wheels, I know many people using the 5.1d rims and love them. Very strong and versatile rim. I also know of one guy personally that has the hubs and beats on them all the time without issue. The only downside (perhaps) is the aluminum freewheel hub, bww said it is not recommended for heavy use but the guy I know really beats on them and is about 230lbs.

mtbr member

Wheel set

Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    I just received my first ever wheel build and couldn't be any happier with the wheels and BWW. Awesome service and Awesome wheels. I was kinda on a budget so I had them build Mavic 717/XT Centerlock/Alloy Nipples/Supercomp Spokes shipped for around $350. I received the wheels within 8 days of ordering and arrived in a very professional package. I've put the wheels to the test over the last week and so far so good. When I get the chance to build a race set, I will definitely look into this company again.
    Manuel,

I ordered almost the exact same set, except that I got the 719's. How do you like them? Did you ever weigh them?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey Veritechy! I have not had the chance to weight them as just a wheel set alone. I have recently weighed my 2003 M4 Epic Rebuild and the total weight came out to 25lb's. I love my wheels and I clean them and check them after every ride so far. They are spinning as true as when I pulled them out of the box. I'll try and weight them off the bike when I get a chance and let you know. So far no complaints from this kid....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast