mtbr member
    May 2013

Beware Rocky Mountain Cyclery

I can see, reading through the forums, that some people have had a positive experience of Rocky Mountain Cyclery, while others have sadly shared my recent debacle: in my own case, a seat post "purchase" over eBay. I got a shipping estimate from RMC, and duly handed over my dosh. That was the last time I ever heard from them. They ignored four e-mails and never returned a phone call. I had to take out a dispute case through eBay, which thankfully refunded my money after three weeks of fruitless attempts to get RMC to honour the purchase.

It's seems to me that this retailer runs the dodgy practice of trading ahead of stock: in other words, it accepts money for items it doesn't have. Let's be clear: this isn't backordering it's perilously close to fraud.

There's a reason they're so cheap: if you're contemplating dealing with them, I recommend you run in the other direction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    First and foremost, there is absolutely no excuse for this sort of thing, so I don't want to seem like I'm supporting such poor business practices, but perhaps I can shed some light on the situation. I'm a long-time customer of theirs as I live close by, and they allow pick up on all items in their brick-and-mortar store in Loveland, CO. Their service suffered recently when the eBay manager abruptly left. The new guy had little help or training, and has had the entire operation literally dumped in his lap. He is getting up to speed, and seems to genuinely care, so hopefully, things will improve. Unfortunately for them, in this day and age, you can't afford to have too many of these before the members of the online community can sink an e-commerce business. Let's hope for their sake that this is an isolated incident.

mtbr member
    I've never had a problem with them and got lots of stuff for a super deal. I haven't ordered from them recently, though...

mtbr member
    May 2013

Thanks for the insight, Middle America....

This experience was certainly baffling, because RMC still has a good seller rating on eBay. I'm in business myself, and I know that things sometimes just go dog on you, but the important thing is to keep the customer informed. In this instance, RMC's refusal to talk only convinced me that I'd been the victim of a scam.

I guess in some ways, it's a self-inflicted wound: I saw a bargain and common sense went out the window...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I once bought it now for a set of wheels from them, i saw they also had auctions for the same kind of wheels, once the auction price went higher than my buy it now price, they told me the wheels were out of stock. I also had to wait 3-4 weeks for a refund.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    These seem to always be sensitive topics, but it sounds like it has happened to more than one person around here. As I said before, I hope they fix their issues before everything falls apart. Small town shop that had some eBay store success- it would be hard to see them go south, as I genuinely like the brick and mortar manager, Sean. He's a good guy who's been involved in the CO front range bike business for around 20 years. That said, he has no involvement in the e-commerce portion of the business.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Unfortunately I got totally hosed on a fork from them. It was on eBay, the in-store person said they could sell it from the brick and mortar, the wrong fork showed up 3 weeks later (supposedly shipped same day as payment, nope). They did pay return shipping and after being reminded they gave a refund.

mtbr member
    This is 2013, not 1995. How hard is it to sell stuff online? Especially through ebay.

One occurrence maybe. Multiple times, there really is no excuse for them.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

Retailer
    Hello, I think I can best offer an explanation as to why you had such a terrible experience at Rocky Mountain Cyclery. My name is Tom Carroll and I am the owner and founder of Rocky Mountain Cyclery. After reading your comments, I can agree with you on your point that what happened to you by my company was deplorable. To order, or win, same difference on eBay, an item, pay for it, and not receive it is bad enough, but to then never receive a call or email explaining why is extremely bad, and that was the place the my company was in. Extremely bad. That said, I would like to offer an explanation as to what things went from what had been for nearly 8 years a very good, solid, morally based company, to what you experienced with your order. I am the sole manager and controller of the whole company. Nothing there happened without my knowing about it and it was I that kept things on track. In late fall of 2012, I was diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer. I was 41 years old at the time, lived an extremely healthy life, save the many trips to Starbucks, and was caught completely by surprise by the news. All of us were. At that time I was told that if I did not have immediate surgery, immediate being within 2 weeks, I would have about 3 months to live. The Cancer was in my head, neck and both lungs. To keep it brief for your sake, I had the Head surgeries, and the neck surgeries, and not to get pity, as that is not why I am writing, but to give you an idea of the outcome, I lost my ability to speak, drink, eat, swallow, and could not breathe without assistance from an external source for many months following the surgery.

Where this gets back to you, is I had made the judgement that things would run well at Rocky Mountain Cyclery in my absence. The systems were in place for years, employees have been there and trained very well into their jobs for years, and I had placed managers over the key elements that I would have needed to see to. In all this I was dreadfully wrong. Nothing, absolutely nothing went well while I was gone, including your order, and many other orders, and for that, I am personal extremely sorry. Leaving the company running seemed like the only viable option at the time, its 12 employees, their families, the vendors who we were in the middle of doing business with, and my family, and countless customers, all were relying on our continued success. So, before going into surgery, I set it up to remain open, and then got hit with the worth thing I had ever gone thru.

All that said, it was not until late June of 2013 that I was released to come back to work. To see the condition of the company, to me, I had no, nor do I still have any words to describe it. If there were something that could have gone wrong while I was gone, it went wrong. Every system was broken or non functioning. Key employees had quit. The news of what reality laid before me was absolutely overwhelming.

But back to you, and sorry for making this so long an explanation, the first thing I did was contact eBay and Paypal and ask them to honor the refund policy on each and every purchase where the customer had claimed a non receipt of item, regardless of circumstances. I wanted you, and every other buyer of ours out there, which at that time there was no way to tell how many there were, to get your money back. Even to this day, both eBay and Paypal have the door open to issue refunds for items that were not received, and we communicate regularly on that subject. Also, you will notice that our eBay site is down until I, and our representatives at eBay feel that we can sustain a level of business practice commensurate to what we had previously, and within eBay policy.

I am sure I this could have been shorter, but I wanted to offer you an explanation of what happened on our end, and why, due to our fault, you had to have a terrible shopping experience with us. I am truly sorry.

Thank you for pointing these concerns out to other MTBR Members. It was very good and right for you to do so, and I am glad you did. Let's hope and pray that my continued efforts to bring Rocky Mountain Cyclery back from the darkness are fruitful, and that my company, and I, will one day stand in the light of a healthy and good business.

Thank you for taking the time to read and listen.

Tom Carroll
    Owner,
    Rocky Mountain Cyclery
    Loveland, Colorado

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    WOW! I bought from you guys before I wish you all the best,very sad to hear about your situation.again I wish you all the best and the most important thing is good health.

mtbr member
    Happy to hear you're well enough to return to work, Tom. Thanks for updating us and doing the right thing of shutting down the ebay store until things get back on track. Kudos to you.

mtbr member

RE: Beware Rocky Mountain Cyclery

Oh man, sorry to hear all you went through and the mess you have to clean up after your tough fight. Good of you to explain and i wish you all the best.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm going to jump in here in Tom's defense.

I've known him since he started his first shop down on west 2nd St in Loveland. Starting virtually from scratch, he built that business up due to so many vendors (of super low-priced manufacturer's closeouts) who were able to trust him to actually pay his bills on time. Living in an apartment above that shop was the worst thing that could have happened to him, because we later found out the previous tenant had been cooking meth there (trust me on that one, I'm a Loveland cop). The exposure to that toxic environment may be what led to Tom's developing a rare and virulent strain of cancer several years later. Anyway, he grew the business from a one man operation to a very sizable mail order business that came to occupy three large buildings and numerous employees (I never counted them, but when I dropped in there were usually 4-5 people in the sales office and 3-4 in shipping and receiving.) I made numerous purchases from him on Ebay and was always happy with the deal I got. Prior to the onset of Tom's cancer, his Ebay feedback rating was 99% positive with tens of thousands of transactions, but that was with Tom running the business day to day. When Tom first got sick his initial prognosis was so grim that I don't believe any of his employees thought they'd be working there for long, and they basically took it for all it was worth and ran the business into the ground. Tom's getting his strength back and getting back to work now, even though its just him and Sean running the business now.

I wouldn't wish what happened to Tom on my worst enemy. To save his life, the doctors had to remove his tongue, forcing him to re-learn how to speak. Then to come back and find his business has been run into shambles and his reputation tarnished?

I know some of you will challenge me because this is my first post here. I'm a 60 year old life long roadie (used to race with the old Paramount Cycling Club in SoCal). I put the post up because I was having a Facebook conversation with Tom earlier and he mentioned this thread to me. My current stable of bikes includes a Rocky Mountain Solo 70 and a Scott Scale 29er that I bought from Tom. My real name is Charlie Wilson, I work for LPD, I belong to the Ft Collins Cycling Club, I rode Double Triple Bypass and Copper Triangle this summer; shall I go on? I'm also sorry for the bad treatment many of his customers got while Tom was out sick, but I stand behind the man.

Retailer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hansford View Post

I can see, reading through the forums, that some people have had a positive experience of Rocky Mountain Cyclery, while others have sadly shared my recent debacle: in my own case, a seat post "purchase" over eBay. I got a shipping estimate from RMC, and duly handed over my dosh. That was the last time I ever heard from them. They ignored four e-mails and never returned a phone call. I had to take out a dispute case through eBay, which thankfully refunded my money after three weeks of fruitless attempts to get RMC to honour the purchase.

It's seems to me that this retailer runs the dodgy practice of trading ahead of stock: in other words, it accepts money for items it doesn't have. Let's be clear: this isn't backordering it's perilously close to fraud.

There's a reason they're so cheap: if you're contemplating dealing with them, I recommend you run in the other direction.
    Hello, I think I can best offer an explanation as to why you had such a terrible experience at Rocky Mountain Cyclery. My name is Tom Carroll and I am the owner and founder of Rocky Mountain Cyclery. After reading your comments, I can agree with you on your point that what happened to you by my company was deplorable. To order, or win, same difference on eBay, an item, pay for it, and not receive it is bad enough, but to then never receive a call or email explaining why is extremely bad, and that was the place the my company was in. Extremely bad. That said, I would like to offer an explanation as to what things went from what had been for nearly 8 years a very good, solid, morally based company, to what you experienced with your order. I am the sole manager and controller of the whole company. Nothing there happened without my knowing about it and it was I that kept things on track. In late fall of 2012, I was diagnosed with stage 4 Cancer. I was 41 years old at the time, lived an extremely healthy life, save the many trips to Starbucks, and was caught completely by surprise by the news. All of us were. At that time I was told that if I did not have immediate surgery, immediate being within 2 weeks, I would have about 3 months to live. The Cancer was in my head, neck and both lungs. To keep it brief for your sake, I had the Head surgeries, and the neck surgeries, and not to get pity, as that is not why I am writing, but to give you an idea of the outcome, I lost my ability to speak, drink, eat, swallow, and could not breathe without assistance from an external source for many months following the surgery.

Where this gets back to you, is I had made the judgement that things would run well at Rocky Mountain Cyclery in my absence. The systems were in place for years, employees have been there and trained very well into their jobs for years, and I had placed managers over the key elements that I would have needed to see to. In all this I was dreadfully wrong. Nothing, absolutely nothing went well while I was gone, including your order, and many other orders, and for that, I am personal extremely sorry. Leaving the company running seemed like the only viable option at the time, its 12 employees, their families, the vendors who we were in the middle of doing business with, and my family, and countless customers, all were relying on our continued success. So, before going into surgery, I set it up to remain open, and then got hit with the worth thing I had ever gone thru.

All that said, it was not until late June of 2013 that I was released to come back to work. To see the condition of the company, to me, I had no, nor do I still have any words to describe it. If there were something that could have gone wrong while I was gone, it went wrong. Every system was broken or non functioning. Key employees had quit. The news of what reality laid before me was absolutely overwhelming.

But back to you, and sorry for making this so long an explanation, the first thing I did was contact eBay and Paypal and ask them to honor the refund policy on each and every purchase where the customer had claimed a non receipt of item, regardless of circumstances. I wanted you, and every other buyer of ours out there, which at that time there was no way to tell how many there were, to get your money back. Even to this day, both eBay and Paypal have the door open to issue refunds for items that were not received, and we communicate regularly on that subject. Also, you will notice that our eBay site is down until I, and our representatives at eBay feel that we can sustain a level of business practice commensurate to what we had previously, and within eBay policy.

I am sure I this could have been shorter, but I wanted to offer you an explanation of what happened on our end, and why, due to our fault, you had to have a terrible shopping experience with us. I am truly sorry.

Thank you for pointing these concerns out to other MTBR Members. It was very good and right for you to do so, and I am glad you did. Let's hope and pray that my continued efforts to bring Rocky Mountain Cyclery back from the darkness are fruitful, and that my company, and I, will one day stand in the light of a healthy and good business.

Tom Carroll
    Owner,
    Rocky Mountain Cyclery
    Loveland, Colorado

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Tom I wish you a speedy continued recovery.
    I bought form you guys in the past and was happy with my transaction.

mtbr member

I'm wishing the best recovery possible too. The wheel set I bought from you in 2011 is super solid. A fine piece of work. I remember it took a little longer and there were some communication delays on your end. Now I know why. Super sorry to hear your managers and employees let you down.

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with this store, however I have a lot of respect for a store that comes on an open forum, admit wrong, explain the situation and vow to rectify the current situtation as well as future business. I see this a lot with manufactuerers on Slowtwitch (triathlon forum). Sometimes things don't turn out so well, but when an owner throws themselves under the bus, I see that a positive.

I've added the store to my list of shops.

mtbr member
    +1

I had never done business with RMC in the past, but knowing the story and character of the owner in question, will have me looking to RMC when shopping for new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post
    I'm not familiar with this store, however I have a lot of respect for a store that comes on an open forum, admit wrong, explain the situation and vow to rectify the current situtation as well as future business. I see this a lot with manufactuerers on Slowtwitch (triathlon forum). Sometimes things don't turn out so well, but when an owner throws themselves under the bus, I see that a positive.

I've added the store to my list of shops.

Huckin' trails

Tom, I'm shocked to realize what you've been trough and how terrible it is. I truly hope you will be rewarded back in your life for the many years to come.

I bought from your eBay store, a RaceFace Deus seatpost, 2 years ago. After payment, the post showed up to my door in only 2 days on regular UPS ground, and I've been riding this post almost 7 days a week since. Next time I'll get on my bike, I will have a thought about the man who made it happen. Same will go for my other bike supplies and parts I bought and use daily from your shop. I have been very pleased with the service, price and communication I had from RMC and I find it awful that such a tragic event can almost ruin the work of a lifetime. I salute your choice to explain publicly what happened and why it happened and it simply renew my trust I had in doing business with you.

Be strong, we will stand by you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

A God Without A Name
    I do want to back pedal and point out there is not really a way OP could have known this. Online sellers burn people all the time, and it's easy to think you've been made a victim.

So there really should be no hard feelings against the guy.

That being said, I have to +1. RMC is someone I'm more than happy to shop with.

Retailer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hansford View Post

But back to you, and sorry for making this so long an explanation, the first thing I did was contact eBay and Paypal and ask them to honor the refund policy on each and every purchase where the customer had claimed a non receipt of item, regardless of circumstances. I wanted you, and every other buyer of ours out there, which at that time there was no way to tell how many there were, to get your money back. Even to this day, both eBay and Paypal have the door open to issue refunds for items that were not received, and we communicate regularly on that subject. Also, you will notice that oureBay site is down until I, and our representatives at eBay feel that we can sustain a level of business practice commensurate to what we had previously, and within eBay policy.

Tom Carroll
    Owner,
    Rocky Mountain Cyclery
    Loveland, Colorado

A God Without A Name
    Um, What?