mtbr member

Better than Easton XC One's - $400-500

Have a set of xc ones and the work fine. Hubs are easy to service, roll super fast, and havent had any problems running tubeless with stans rim strips.

Looking to not run them as regular riding set, since a few bad lines in the past few months have put them in the shop.

what is out there that would would roll just as fast or faster and be in the same weight range. somewhere just under 1600g + rim strip weight.

possibly spending around $500 or less.

Stans, look for used american classics or I9's? thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If you have the time to look around it's possible to build a real nice set for that price. Even more feasible if you can build your own, but not necessary.

I recently built a new ss wheelset. Found a good deal on hubs (DT 340 R and Sram X.9 F), rims (26" Sun EQ21), and spokes (Sapim Laser from Dan's comp) and a mix of brass and aluminum nipples. Total cost was under $300 and they weigh around 1575g.

I think a good 29er set could be built at 1700g for your price range, maybe using stan's rims. The key is finding a rear hub, but hub weight isn't nearly as important as having nice rims and spokes, in my opinion.

Stray Bullet
    Just sent you a PM.

I've got a brand new set of Stan's ZTR 355 rims on American Classic hubs. New never ridden. I paid a lot to have them built for a race got injured and never used them.