mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Best trainer under $150?

What is the best trainer under $150? Is it really necessary to get a trainer for the winter? I live in Vancouver so there is about 2 -3 months that I will be using the trainer and before races. Should I be spending more than $150 and what should I look for when buying one? My LBS only has Tacx trainers in stock, but they have been sitting in the shop for 3 years.

mtbr member
    I'd never spend more than that on a trainer. I only use mine as a last resort, when weather keeps me inside.

These days there are mag and fluid trainers (there used to be fan-reistance models, I don't know of any still on the market, they where really loud). Fluid is supposed to give more realistic resistance, propotional to the square of speed, where magnetic reistance is proportional to speed which feels sort of weird when sprinting. Mags are much cheaper.

IMO no trainer feels like riding anyway, so paying extra for that is a waste. I have this guy: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4120, well actually I have 2 of them as my wife permanantly borrowed the first one. It's capable of about 550 watts of resistance - more than enough for steady riding, it's pretty stable, and getting a bike in and out is pretty easy once you get it set up.

not sure if you meant $150 canadian, in that case a performance cupon might get you there.