viva la v-brakes!

best time to buy a used bike?

I'm in the market for a used bike, a road bike in this case. Can anyone tell me from experience what time of year is the best for picking up a used bike? When will it be the best buyers market? And just cause I'm curious now, when is the best time to sell a used bike?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    I'm in the market for a used bike, a road bike in this case. Can anyone tell me from experience what time of year is the best for picking up a used bike? When will it be the best buyers market? And just cause I'm curious now, when is the best time to sell a used bike?
    You are in AZ right? Buy a used bike now. Be different if you were in the southern hemisphere. Sell that used bike whenever the weather first turns nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Agreed.

The only catch may be that there will likely be fewer bikes for sale in the winter. I picked up a couple of good deals in late fall off of ebay.

I've been casually listing a roadbike on craigslist lately and have gotten zero interest. I'm sure it'll sell as soon as spring rolls around though.

banned
    Jan 2007
    I've been following prices on ebay and craigslist for the past year and right now seems to be the lowest demand due to the colder weather. Prices in the summer were approaching rediculous, now it seems to be better. Also you might want to try your local Craigslist to find better deals than ebay and save on shipping. Prices should be good till late Feburary or early March so no need to rush. The key is to be patient.

viva la v-brakes!
    erchico, we've moved back to the midwest, so, I figure as the rest of the folks here are suggestion the cold season is a good time to buy. I wonder if late fall would have been better as people unload bikes they didn't use and even fewer people are thinking of buying.

I personally keep riding all winter long, but it's going to talk a while to swap parts around until I'm happy with the new/used build.... I don't ride new bikes through the winter snot anyway, even if they are used.

Guess I'll get serious about shopping

thanks!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.