mtbr member
    Jan 2007

best time to buy a new bike?

I saw the thread about used bikes but when is the best time(s) to buy a new bike?

I missed any holiday sales and I live in new england so we have "seasons" that could certainly influence this. Am I gonna get hosed if I buy one right now since it will be on sale in the spring when the next models come out or how does it work?

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by slug420
    I saw the thread about used bikes but when is the best time(s) to buy a new bike?

I missed any holiday sales and I live in new england so we have "seasons" that could certainly influence this. Am I gonna get hosed if I buy one right now since it will be on sale in the spring when the next models come out or how does it work?

There will always be a better deal later. If you have the money, do it now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    no matter when you buy an item, someone got a better deal the week before or the week after, so give up on trying to time it, just pick what you want and get it when you can and don't worry about that. It can only lead to heartbreak.
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Seems to me this would be the ideal time to buy last year's models. Or the '05s for that matter, if you can find some place that has any left in your size.

banned
    When you see a great deal for something you like take it. There is really no good time. If there is a good time it might be during winter clearance. During the summer dealers might not be as willing to discount their bikes during peak selling seaon.

Fireball in the Night

Rainy day, late in FEB

FEB is the shortest month of the year. Pick a rainy day late in the month. Unless it snows where you live. That'll do, too.
    Most companies that operate month-to-month will take a hit during FEB just to move the inventory or to reach their initial quota hurdle.
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    good point...

in my case im pretty much just SOL though. I came to the realization that the shops are only going to mark down what is already in stock, and in my experience none of my LBS have my size (21-23) in stock so i just have to jump on whatever I can find..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

call around

When the manufacturer has last years bikes in there warehouse they sell them at a discount to the LBS, so you may be able to get a deal even if they don't have them in stock.

Once you know what you want call all the bike shops within a reasonable driving distance that sell the bike. Tell them where you are calling from and start negotiating. Once you find the best deal go back to the LBS and see what they can do for you.
    TEX

Out there
    Aug 2006
    now is a pretty good time. there is still enough clearance stock to make it interesting and there are some great deals to be had. Even my (very expensive) LBS is offering discounts of $350-400 on their already discounted prices for 2006 stock. Eg a $3000+ bike 'on sale' for $2800 will now go for $2300-2400 if you ask nicely.

Of course you can get it on the internets for 1799.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

call a manuf./

I called giant & learned there were new '06 XTC frames still available-$200 dealer cost.shops maybe to lazy to call so do it yourself.also august,sept. seems to be when dealers in mich. start clearing the current year models.do your homework & save$$$ if you have more time than money...good luck.ps/ annual swap meet with many bike shops will have great deals www.mmba.org