mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best place for cold weather gear

Where's the best place to get cold weather clothing, jackets, long sleeve jerseys, hats, etc..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Check Nashbar

I've been looking there for winter gloves and other cool weather gear. Can't beat there pricing on this type stuff.

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Burger
    Where's the best place to get cold weather clothing, jackets, long sleeve jerseys, hats, etc..
    Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Sierra Trading Post, REI, Campmor, etc...
    Long Live Long Rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    For winter bike clothes i shopped at performance. Fleece jersey, vest. Windproof vest. Long sleeve jersey, gloves, socks, helmet liners, shoe and helmet covers. Got it all at almost 70% in March2004. Doesnt really help you now thou.

mtbr member

http://www.icebike.com/

Here is some cold clod weather riding info.
    Last year we had some GREAT group rides during the winter, many rides started in the single digits!

I have a pair of ICEBike tights and they are by far the best winter pants you can get. Too bad they are not available in black though.

KMan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ouch! Single Digits!

I will have to get some new shoes if I'm going to withstand those temps. Hopefully I'll be on the trails/road a little more and not on the trainer as much as I was last winter.( if my singlespeed ever comes

mtbr member

icebike tights?

how wind resistant are they? I read the review at icebikes, but I didn't get a real good feel for if they were just really warm, or fairly wind resistant as well. I don't really like windproof, because I find I end up sweating too much, but with winter wear you definitely need some pretty good wind protection

jrm
    mtbr member

Monthly REI sales...

Most of the non cycling specific stuff works great and costs less.

mtbr member

I....

Have a cheap pair of thin tights that I wear for warmer weather....Once the temps get below freezing I will break out the Icebike tights, down into the single digits if it'w windy I might wear both if on the road. MTB and just the Icebike tights are fine.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by MetricEee
    how wind resistant are they? I read the review at icebikes, but I didn't get a real good feel for if they were just really warm, or fairly wind resistant as well. I don't really like windproof, because I find I end up sweating too much, but with winter wear you definitely need some pretty good wind protection

mtbr member

Best thing is to layer....

Go to REIoutlet.com and get some inexpensive layering clothes.
    Here is what will work...or at least works for me MTBing and on the road....and remember riding on the road is much colder due to the wind and wind chill.
    Get a light weight base layer, a mid weight layer and windproof vest (Target or Walmart), something that has a little warmth to it and a good top layer/jacket. The team jackets are excellent or something from Gore at Performance. Light weight, not bulky and will keep you warm.
    Shoes - good luck here, there are a ton of tricks to keeping your feet warm. Some people have no problems with cold feet, other people like me no matter what you try, your feet will always be cold. I has taken me years trying all kinds of different solutions. I ended up getting a pair for the Lake winter shoes, and my feet still get cold after a while.
    Good gloves, thin hat and face warmer type mask.

The trick about winter riding is experimenting with what to wear...not too much to avoid sweating and over heating and not too little to avoid freezing and being left for the wolves.

KMan

I will have to get some new shoes if I'm going to withstand those temps. Hopefully I'll be on the trails/road a little more and not on the trainer as much as I was last winter.( if my singlespeed ever comes

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    REI outlet.com

I just got a Pearl Izumi Kodiak Light Jersey for $31 and PIzumi Leg Warmers for $17. They also have plenty of cheap base layer type stuff.

jrm
    mtbr member

The base layer stuff is great...

[QUOTE=AlexinMD]REI outlet.com

as are the hiking tights...

Who are the brain police?
    If you can afford the winter Lake shoes, you're golden. If not, even vented XC shoes can work. Just gotta duct tape them to keep the wind out, wear quality wool socks, and use those chem. heat packs. Those chem. heat packs are worth their weight in gold.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    For shoes, if you can get a pair of regular pedals, get rid of the toe clips and add a pair of Power Grips.
    Then you can just get a pair of inexpensive hiking boots with thinsulate to help keep your feet warm.

guy who pedals places
    Oct 2004
    try www.mec.ca

Canadian supplier so you KNOW it's good in the cold. I have a ton of MEC gear - ski, hike, camp, bike, boat. Really good quality at resonable prices.

m